Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission
|Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission|
|Directed by||Noemi Weis|
|Produced by||Noemi Weis|
|Music by||Daniel Freiberg|
|Edited by||Eugene Weis|
Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission is a 2013 short documentary by the Argentine-Canadian filmmaker Noemi Weis. It tells the story and work of the Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo in Argentina and their struggle for justice and truth. Abuelas is Weis directorial debut.
The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo (original Spanish title Las Madres: The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo) was a 1985 film profiling the Argentinean mothers' movement to demand from Argentinean officials to tell the truth about the fate of their sons and daughters who "disappeared" during Argentina's Dirty War.
Three decades later the grandmothers or "Abuelas" continue the mission to find their grandchildren who survived, were kidnapped, and illegally adopted by families within the regime. Noemi Weis' short documentary, Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission follows on their struggles three decades later.
Weis developed this film as an educational tribute to the grandmothers who dedicated their lives to the search for a generation lost due to Argentina's "dirty war." Sandrine Crisostomo of Femcine describes the film as "an impressive testimony of dictatorships' impact on families and on the strength of women's hope through decades."
Abuelas premiered at the Female Eye Film Festival. It went on to screen at other film festivals that include FEMCINE Film Festival in Chile.
Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission is distributed throughout North America by Women Make Movies.
Mitú listed the film as a documentary "Feminists Should Watch While In Quarantine".
Abuelas won the First Mention at the 2013 International Competition of the International Festival of Political Cinema in Buenos Aires and was nominated for "Best Documentary in the Social Political Category" by the Yorkton Film Festival in Canada.
- Catherine Hubbard (8 February 2013). "Noemi Weis - A Voice for the Voiceless". Argentina Independent. Archived from the original on 26 March 2015. Retrieved 2014-08-02. Unknown parameter
- Weis, Noemi. "TCD.ie - Weis' Introduction" (PDF). Trinity College Dublin.
- "WMM film catalogue for Las Madres: The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo". Women Make Movies. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "United Nations News Centre".[permanent dead link]
- "Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission". Filmblanc.
- Treviño, Marisa. "Intrn'l Video: For 35 years, Argentina's abuelas have been searching for missing grandchildren taken during La Guerra Sucia". Latina Lista.
- Carruthers, Anne (May 2017). "The Uterus as a Narrative Space in Contemporary Cinema from the Americas" (PDF). Newcastle University (PHD Thesis): 58–59.
- "WMM Film Catalog". Women Make Movies.
- "KATIE CHATS: NOEMI WEIS, DIRECTOR, ABUELAS-GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION, FEFF, 07/12". YouTube.
- Mesa, Cristal (2020-05-27). "All Of The Documentaries Feminists Should Watch While In Quarantine". we are mitú. Retrieved 2020-12-29.
- "Tercer Festival Internacional de Cine Político". FICiP 2013.
- Official Page
- Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission at Women Make Movies
- CBC Documentary channel: Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission
This article "Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Abuelas: Grandmothers on a Mission. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.