Adney Y. Komatsu
|Adney Y. Komatsu|
|Photograph of Adney Y. Komatsu|
|Emeritus General Authority|
|October 2, 1993– February 23, 2011|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|October 1, 1976– October 2, 1993|
|End reason||Granted general authority emeritus status|
|Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
|April 4, 1975– October 1, 1976|
|End reason||Position discontinued, transferred to First Quorum of the Seventy|
|Born||Adney Yoshio Komatsu|
August 2, 1923
Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, United States
|Died||February 23, 2011 (aged 87)|
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
|Resting place||Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Judy Nobue Fujitani|
Adney Yoshio Komatsu (August 2, 1923 – February 23, 2011) was a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1975 until his death. Komatsu was the first person of Asian descent to become a general authority of the LDS Church.
Born of Japanese parents in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, Komatsu became a convert to the LDS Church in 1941 at age 17. He was the first Latter-day Saint of Japanese descent to become a bishop in the church. Komatsu was the first person of Asian descent to serve as a regional representative and later as a mission president, serving in the church's Northern Far East Mission from 1965 to 1968.
On April 4, 1975, LDS Church president Spencer W. Kimball called Komatsu to serve as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and a general authority. In 1976, when the calling of Assistant to the Twelve was discontinued, Komatsu was ordained to the office of Seventy and became a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. He served in this capacity until October 1993, when he was designated as an emeritus general authority. During his tenure as a general authority, Komatsu served for several years as the president of the Tokyo Japan Temple.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Yoshihiko Kikuchi was the first native-born Asian to be called as a general authority of the LDS Church.
References[edit | edit source]
- “Elder Adney Yoshio Komatsu Assistant to the Council of the Twelve”, Ensign, May 1975, pp. 118–119.
- “Changes in General Authority Assignments”, Ensign, November 1993, p. 109.
- "Elder Adney Y. Komatsu passes away", Church News, 27 February 2011
- Marianne Holman, "Elder Komatsu: 'The Lord's callings come first': First General Authority of Japanese descent dies", Church News, 2011-03-05.
[edit | edit source]
- Grampa Bill's G.A. Pages: Adney Y. Komatsu
- Northern Far East Mission Alumni: President Adney Y. Komatsu
- Adney Y. Komatsu at Find a GraveLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
This article "Adney Y. Komatsu" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Adney Y. Komatsu. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.