Alessandro Capone (Linguist)
Alessandro Capone (born 14 August 1965) is an Italian linguist (Full Professor of Linguistics).
Education and career[edit | edit source]
Capone is full professor of linguistics at the University of Messina, Department of Cognitive Science. He obtained his Doctorate in linguistics in 1998 at the University of Oxford with a thesis entitled ‘Modality and Discourse’, supervised by Professor Yan Huang and examined by Prof. James Higginbotham and Sally McConnell-Ginet. He published more than 100 papers and authored several monographs on linguistic and philosophical issues, including quotation and reporting, modality, speech acts, explicatures, legal pragmatics, presupposition.
Editorial and executive work[edit | edit source]
Capone is chief editor of the Springer Science+Business Media book series Perspectives in Pragmatics, Philosophy, Psychology. As of 2018[update], the series consisted of 20 volumes, 12 of which were authored or co-edited by Capone himself.
He is the TIPP editor of the Thematic Issue: Pragmatics and Philosopy at the journal of Intercultural Pragmatics, and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Pragmatics, Intercultural Pragmatics, and Pragmatics and Society. He also served as a member of the Organizing committee of International Conference on Pragmatics and Philosophy (with Fabrizio Macagno).
Capone has also co-organized the first and second international conference on pragmatics and philosophy, held in Palermo (May 2016) and in Lisbon (Mey 2018).
Selected publications[edit | edit source]
He has coedited:
Further advances in pragmatics and philosophy (coedited with Marco Carapezza and Franco Lo Piparo). Dordrecht, Springer. 2018. https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319721729
He is also the author of:
- Capone, Alessandro (July 2018). "Pragmemes (again)". Lingua. 209: 89–104. doi:10.1016/j.lingua.2018.04.004. ISSN 0024-3841.
- Capone, Alessandro (June 2008). "Belief reports and pragmatic intrusion (the case of null appositives)". Journal of Pragmatics. 40 (6): 1019–1040. doi:10.1016/j.pragma.2008.02.008. ISSN 0378-2166.
- Capone, Alessandro (December 2017). "Conversational presuppositions: Presupposition as defeasible inference". Intercultural Pragmatics. 14 (4). doi:10.1515/ip-2017-0025. ISSN 1612-295X.
- Capone, Alessandro (May 2016). "Rethinking Language, Mind, and Meaning". Australian Journal of Linguistics. 37 (1): 112–120. doi:10.1080/07268602.2016.1177868. ISSN 0726-8602.
References[edit | edit source]
- Perspectives in Pragmatics, Philosophy & Psychology.
- "Intercultural Pragmatics". 2004-03-01. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Journal of Pragmatics Editorial Board.
- Mey, Edited by Jacob L. "Pragmatics and Society". benjamins.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Pragmasophia – International Conference on Pragmatics and Philosophy". www.pragmasophia.com (in italiano). Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Pragmasophia – International Conference on Pragmatics and Philosophy". www.pragmasophia.com (in italiano). Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Reviews of The Pragmatics of Indirect Reports:
- Macagno, Fabrizio (January 2017). Intercultural Pragmatics. 14 (2). doi:10.1515/ip-2017-0014.
- Parvaresh, Vahid (May 2017). Australian Journal of Linguistics: 1–4. doi:10.1080/07268602.2017.1301185.
- Delfitto, Denis; Fiorin, Gaetano (November 2017). Journal of Linguistics. 54 (01): 217–221. doi:10.1017/s0022226717000299.
- Basile, Grazia (May 2018). Journal of Pragmatics. 129: 120–122. doi:10.1016/j.pragma.2018.03.021.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Alessandro Capone (Linguist)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Alessandro Capone (Linguist)/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.