Moscow, Russian Federation
|Education||Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry|
Director, Moscow Design Museum |
Cofounder and Director
Biography[edit | edit source]
Alexandra Sankova graduated from Moscow State Stroganov Academy of Industrial and Applied Arts named after S. Stroganov, Department of Communicative Design.
After graduating from the University Alexandra worked for several design studios, such as «Soiuz Design», as «Zoran design bureau». In 2003 she founded «New Graphics» organisation. She carried out and took part in various exhibitions, educational master classes and contests for graphic designers, including such projects as: Exibition of Russian graphic desigers under the project “Days of Contemporary Russian Culture in Cuba”; exhibition and contest “British Public Service Poster” for the British Counsil in 10 Russian cities; contest “Public Service Poster for Norilsk” for the Mikhail Prokhorov Foundation; contest “Liberty and Right” for Constitutional Court of Russian Federation; Second Moscow poster contest for Ministry of Agriculture; exhibition “Contemporary Italian Design” under the Year of Russian Culture in Italy and Year of Italian Culture in Russia at the Red October, and many other.
From 2008 till 2013 Alexandra worked as a Senior Advisor for cultural affairs at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Moscow (visual arts, architecture, design). From 2012 Alexandra is the head of the Moscow Design Museum, which she founded together with the partners. 
Moscow Design Museum[edit | edit source]
The first ond only cultural institution in Russia specifically dedicated to design. The museum’s founders see their main objectives to be the popularization of national design at home and abroad, the collection and preservation of Russia’s design heritage and the introduction of Russian viewers to the best examples and main schools of international design.  
Projects[edit | edit source]
- “Soviet Design, 1950-1980’s” (CEH “Manege”, Moscow, 2012-2013)
- “Packaging Design. Made in Russia” (CEH “Manege”, Moscow, 2013)
- “New Luxuries: Less+More in an Age of Austerity” (CEH “Manege”, Moscow, 2013-2014)
- “Sportcult” (Centre for contemporary art Winzavod, Moscow, 2014)
- “British Design: from William Morris to the Digital Revolution” (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, 2014
- “Russia. Bread. Salt” (Russian pavilion at EXPO 2015, Milan)
- “Red Wealth. Sovjet Design 1950-1980” (Kunsthal Rotterdam, 2015-2016)
- “Discovering Utopia: Lost Archives of Soviet Design” (Somerset House, London, 2016). 
- "Legends of Dannish Design" (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, 2017)
- "Paper Revolution" (ADAM, Brussels, 2017) 
Alexandra has lectured at the conference of Icograda (International Council of Graphic Design Organization) in Istanbul (Turkey), at the University of Alberta (Canada), the Nagoya Design Centre (Japan), St. Petersburg State University (Graphic Design Department) and Moscow State Arts and Industry University named after S.G. Stroganov, St. Petersburg State University, British Higher School of Design, Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Austrian Museum of Applied Arts (MAK), Design Museum (Spain), Museum of Decorative Arts (Belgiium), Victoria&Albert Museum (London)  and other.
Awards and honours[edit | edit source]
Books[edit | edit source]
- «23» (2010). The book includes 23 interviews with the famous russian designers.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry
- Post. Notes on Modern and Contemporary Art. MOMA
- Moscow Design Museum
- ASEF culture360 by Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF)
References[edit | edit source]
- The New York Times Style Magazine.
- "ico-D interviews Moscow Design Museum - ico-D". www.ico-d.org.
- "Moscow Design Museum with yet no venue but an amazing design items selection – Museeum". www.museeum.com.
- "Lava - Amsterdam/Beijing". lava.nl.
- "Russia's First Design Museum is Racing to Preserve its Greatest Soviet-era Treasures". 9 March 2016.
- Gershkovich, Evgeniya (23 March 2016). "Blowing up the show: The nomadic life of a museum with no address".
- "Back to the future: what the new Moscow Design Museum can learn from the Soviet past".
- ""Packaging design. Made in Russia "". line feed character in
|title=at position 25 (help)
- "Lessons in Austere Dutch Design at Moscow Manezh".
- Guzeva, Alexandra (6 October 2014). "British designers furnish a Russian museum".
- "Morris, Mackintosh Go on Show at Design Exhibit".
- "Exhibition "Russia. Bread. Salt" in the Russian Pavilion on Expo Milano 2015 - Trade Delegation of the Russian Federation in the United Kingdom". rustrade.org.uk.
- Fun, Everything is (4 September 2017). "Soviet Design. Red Wealth [1950-1980] - Brussels Museums".
- Sputnik. "Moscow Design Museum Wins International Accolade at London's 1st Design Biennale". sputniknews.com.
- Guzeva, Alexandra (9 September 2016). "Russian exhibit awarded special prize at London Design Biennale".
- "Легенды датского дизайна".
- Villarreal, Ignacio. "Exhibition of Soviet graphic design and Constructivism on view at ADAM - Brussels Design Museum". artdaily.com.
- "Exposition The Paper Revolution au ADAM de Bruxelles". 14 June 2017.
- "Exploring Russian Culture: English-language Course for Expats". www.hse.ru.
- "V&A · Moscow Design Museum". Victoria and Albert Museum.
- "INTERVIEW: Alexandra Sankova, director of the Moscow Design Museum, on Soviet utopia at London Design Biennale - Russian Art + Culture". 22 September 2016.
- Guzeva, Alexandra (15 September 2016). "Soviet utopia projects shine at London Design Biennale".
This article "Alexandra Sankova" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Alexandra Sankova/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.