|Born||August 24, 1972|
|🎓 Alma mater||University of Leeds|
(Bachelor of Engineering)
(Msc(Eng), Transport Planning and Engineering)
University of Leeds
(PhD, Transport Economics)
University of Leeds
Civil Engineer, Transportation planning
|🏡 Home town||Kampala|
|Title||Acting Executive Director, Uganda Road Fund|
|👩 Spouse(s)||Margaret Rwomwijhu|
Andrew Naimanye is a Ugandan civil engineer, transport planner and an award-winning chess professional. He is currently the acting Executive Director of the Uganda Road Fund, appointed to this position on 1st November 2019. He is also vice-chairperson on the National Road Safety Council, Ministry of Transport and Works (Uganda).
Background and education
Naimanye was born in Jinja, Uganda in the 1972. He attended King’s College Budo for his high school education where he topped his class. Naimanye represented Uganda at the second Africa Individual Chess Championships (1989), in Nigeria, where he won a bronze medal, one of the first international chess medals in Uganda. He was also the team captain for the Uganda Chess Team at the 30th Chess Olympiad in Manila, Phillipines and also played for the Alwdoodley Chess Club and the University of Leeds (United Kingdom).Before retiring from active chess, Naimanye was the highest rated player in East Africa with a standard rating of 2360 and had attained the FIDE Master title. In 1995, he attained a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Civil Engineering from University of Leeds and was a Queen's Jubilee Scholar of the Institution of Civil Engineers. The following year he graduated with a Master of Science degree in Transport, Planning, and Engineering. Later on, in 2016, Naimanye achieved a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Transport Economics from the same university.
Naimanye is a United Kingdom Chartered Engineer and a Registered Engineer in Uganda.
Academic and other qualifications
- Doctor of Philosophy, Transport Economics; Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds (United Kingdom), 2016
- Master of Science in Engineering, Transport Planning and Engineering, University of Leeds (United Kingdom), 1996
- Bachelor of Engineering, Civil Engineering with Architecture, University of Leeds (United Kingdom), 1995
- Chartered Civil Engineer, Engineering Council (United Kingdom), 2003
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, (United Kingdom), 2002
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation (United Kingdom), 2003
- Road Safety Engineer/Auditor – Highways England Certificate of Competence, (United Kingdom), 2015
- Member Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers
Naimanye is a chartered Civil Engineer with professional experience spanning a range of civil, structural, water, airport and transportation engineering, and planning projects internationally. He trained and worked in the United Kingdom with various FTSE listed civil engineering firms growing to Associate Director at Waterman Group. He later moved back to Uganda to join the team at Uganda Road Fund.
In Uganda Road Fund, as the pioneer Head of Planning and Programming Department, Naimanye was responsible to oversee the financing of the road maintenance of work plans for 10 years, where he was then appointed as the acting Executive Director following recommendations of the Fund Management Board.
Naimanye is also currently a director at Exceed Institute of Safety Management and Technology, a member of the Institute of Corporate Governance of Uganda and an External Examiner at Makerere University College of Engineering.
Throughout his career, Naimanye has carried out several research projects and shared numerous reports on road safety.
- "Chess got me into the boardroom - Dr. Eng. Naimanye". Unknown parameter
- "Eng. Naimanye Appointed Acting ED of Uganda Road Fund". Unknown parameter
- "Naimanye becomes Fide Master". Unknown parameter
- "Naimanye Andrew FIDE Profile". FIDE Website. Unknown parameter
- "Dr. Eng. ANDREW G. NAIMANYE". Unknown parameter
- "Uganda Road Fund in Search of New Boss as Eng Odongo Quits". Unknown parameter
- "Gov't allocates sh10b for tarmacking roads". Unknown parameter
- "Minister Kasaija appoints new Road Fund boss". Unknown parameter
- "Kampala roads are death traps – report". Unknown parameter
This article "Andrew G Naimanye" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Andrew G Naimanye. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.