BLVSH in Chicago 2019
|Birth name||Naelah Johnson|
|Born||September 13, 1992|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Associated acts||Dave East, Hypno Carlito, Beadz, G Herbo|
Naelah Johnson (born September 13, 1992), known publicly as BLVSH (pronounced "Blush") is an American rapper, songwriter and model from Chicago, Illinois. She released her first EP Backstage in 2016. She released her latest EP Love, Commissary, and the Come Up in April 2019. She signed a management deal with WorldTop Records in 2016 making her the first female signed to the label.
Johnson was born on the south side of Chicago, Illinois. Her mother, Renee Scott was a young nurse who also encouraged Johnson to become a nurse. Johnson, her mother, grandmother, and two sisters eventually moved to Calumet City, Illinois, a Chicagoland suburb and stayed there until she was 19.
BLVSH began writing songs and short stories at the age of 15. When she decided to drop out of high school at the age of 16 to pursue music her mother discouraged her. She suggested that nursing was more stable than music. Johnson went on to get her GED and began taking college courses while continuing to work on her music.
In a 2017 showcase, BLVSH caught the attention of Beadz Jones, a prodigy artist of Chicago rapper Twista. She worked closely with him and began to develop a larger digital and homebased audience. By garnering fans with sexually suggestive posts she has increased her social media presence on Instagram. Self proclaimed to only wear the color black she refers to her fans as "baddies" and credits her deep connection to the Chicago music scene as the cause of her success. Her stage name was coined by a rap name generator but the artist uses the "V" for discernment.
In May 2017 she went back to college to pursue her medical degree is currently a 2019 graduate of a community based nursing program. Johnson also attended Thornwood High School but did not graduate.
Early in her career she released her EP, The Signature, which houses her first single that received commercial radio play titled "Overdrive". In 2018, she released the EP Love, Commissary, and the Come Up, on Valentine's Day, which has production by Bigheadonthebeat and Penacho. She claimed the album content was a "sexier" rendition of herself. In 2019, she released Petty Vol. 1. A song on the album titled "Never Cared" is a rework of G Herbo's "Never Cared" and Lil Durk's "No Auto Durk"
After her first release, BLVSH signed a management deal with World Top Records, an independent label on the East Coast of the United States. In October 2017, she toured with Hypno Carlito on his "Never Say Never" tour. She then released a series of singles, one titled "Dripage". In interviews she credits her upbringing for producing "raw and explicit" lyrics. She has cited AMG (rapper) and Gucci Mane and Jhené Aiko as heavy influences.
BLVSH's mother, who is still living, was diagnosed with a debilitating mental illness in 2017. Since the diagnosis, BLVSH has participated in activism for the mental health community. According to a recent interview she is in the process of developing housing advancements for the mentally ill and challenged. In 2019 she was rumored to be romanticaly involved with artist Dave East but publicly denies any connection.
- Never Say Never Tour (with Hypno Carlito) (2017)
- BLVSH "RUNNING MAN", retrieved 2019-11-21
- G Herbo - Never Cared (BLVSH Remix), retrieved 2019-11-21
- "BLVSH - #Backstage The EP - on NoiseTrade". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "BLVSH - Love, Commissary, and the Come Up - on NoiseTrade". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- Marketing, Hyperfocus. "Chicago rapper shares five tips for upstart musicians". PRLog. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- Est.1837, Chicago (2016-05-17). "Chicago Est.1837: CHICAGO UNSIGNED HYPE INTERVIEW W/ BLVSH". Chicago Est.1837. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Chicago artist BLVSH follows up with her 3rd KILLER release!! via MakinItMag.com". Makin' It Magazine. 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- MENAFN. "Chicago rapper shares five tips for upstart musicians". menafn.com. Retrieved 2019-11-23.
- Slaygaryen, IG (2017-05-04). "OTF's Hypno Carlito Releases "Never Say Never Again"". TripleHQ. Retrieved 2019-12-10.
This article "BLVSH" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:BLVSH. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.