The storefront, 2017
|Headquarters||1369 Haight Street|
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|San Francisco Bay Area|
Bound Together is an anarchist bookstore and visitor attraction in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco. Its Lonely Planet review in 2016, commenting on its multiple activities, states that it "makes us tools of the state look like slackers". The bookstore carries new and used books as well as local authors.
The bookstore sits on Haight Street. It is run by a volunteer collective that includes "lifers" who have held shifts there for over decades. Bound Together coordinated the first Bay Area Anarchist Bookfair in 1995, which it continues to host annually in April. It sends books to jails through the Prisoners' Literature Project. A mural outside the bookshop, titled Anarchists of the Americas, painted in the 1990s, depicts prominent American anarchists including Voltairine de Cleyre, Emma Goldman, and Sacco and Vanzetti. The collective has struggled with rapidly increasing rent in San Francisco in which their rent increased twelvefold between 1983 and 2004.
It was founded in 1976 and operated at the corner of Hayes St. and Ashbury St. from then until 1983. Some of the early members included Richard Tetenbaum and Joey Cain. It was named "Bound Together Bookstore" during the 1976-83 period, then took on the formal name "Bound Together: An Anarchist Collective Bookstore".
- "Books in The Haight & Hayes Valley: Bound Together Anarchist Book Collective". Lonely Planet. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
Since 1976 this volunteer-run, nonprofit anarchist bookstore has kept free thinkers supplied with organic permaculture manuals, prison literature and radical comics, while coordinating the annual spring Anarchist Book Fair and restoring its 'Anarchists of the Americas' storefront mural – makes us tools of the state look like slackers.
- Murphy, Dwyer (November 18, 2016). "In Search of the Radical Bookstores of Old San Franciso". Literary Hub. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- Marech, Rona (March 27, 2005). "SAN FRANCISCO / Authority a four-letter word at this book fair / Anarchists find common ground at S.F. get-together". SFGate. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- Curiel, Jonathan (March 8, 2018). "Know Your Street Art: Bound Together". SF Weekly. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- Edge, Brian (2004). 924 Gilman: The Story So Far. Maximum Rocknroll. p. 324. ISBN 978-0-9755680-0-2. Search this book on
- Diana Fan (February 5, 2015). "Bound Together: A Look Inside Haight Street's Anarchist Bookstore". Hoodline. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 466: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 466: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]].|
|This anarchism-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This business-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Bound Together" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Bound Together. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.