Center for Reflection and Social Action (CREAS)
|Headquarters||Alberto Hurtado University|
|Juan Ignacio Latorre Riveros|
|Affiliations||Hurtado U., Jesuit, Catholic|
Center for Reflection and Social Action (CREAS) was founded in 1997 at Alberto Hurtado University in Santiago, Chile, to foster reflection and social action throughout the university, in pursuit of the Jesuit ideal of educating men and women for others.
CREAS facilitates relations of faculty, students, and administrators with social organizations, and organizes seminars, conferences, and workshops to impact society and public policy. It networks with the Association of Jesuit Universities in Latin America (AUSJAL) in defining the social responsibility of universities and facilitates programs for the University's pastoral department.
CREAS facilitated the founding of the Social Observatory for the monitoring of public policies on social security. It is a member of the Ibero-American Observatory on Human Mobility, migration, and Development. It also helps organize seminars to examine new legislation proposed by the government, like that on "Migrations: challenges for Chile in the light of the Spanish experience." Two of the CREAS staff are on the eleven member team of the Chilean human rights institute.
CREAS helped found Training School for Social Leaders and facilitates student initiatives in forming organizations like MOVILIZA, Clerical Training School Blest, Radio Federation. and PreUah. This task is consolidated in a Social Projects Incubator that supports student projects. CREAS has contributed more than 7 million pesos toward 35 student projects in the interest of vulnerable groups, community networking, citizen participation, environment, human rights, and other causes.
CREAS has facilitated volunteering through training, seminars, publications, and networking, and has created a volunteer school in conjunction with the Chilean Volunteer Network and the Municipality of Santiago.
CREAS also connects University students with vulnerable sectors of society. It inaugurated a community-based summer school with students from Georgetown University and from the social leadership course. Such courses have become a part of the Service Learning Program which assists teachers in incorporating social action in their courses, involving 20 courses, 30 instructors, and more than 500 students by 2016.
CREAS hosts talks and seminars on various topics: mobilization for public education in Chile, fair trade and greater equity in the international markets, bioethics and social participation, socially responsible university leaders, and the impact of volunteers on the poverty problem.
In an Active Citizenship contest sponsored by the Walmart Foundation, the CREAS entry was chosen for one of the US$10,000 prizes. The project entitled "Build Your Plan" supports the construction of business plans for female heads of micro entrepreneurial households whereby they are offered a course in marketing their products in international markets of Fair Trade.
CREAS helped found Alberto Hurtado Pre-university which assists students from various underserved communes in Metropolitan Santiago by preparing them for the University selection test. CREAS conducted a study on the degree of job satisfaction in workers of Metropolitan Region, gathering data from 133 workers in 26 companies. Issues examined were salary, job security, possibilities for growth and professional projection, training, contribution to society, satisfaction, and happiness.
CREAS hosted six weeks of public lectures and exhibitions on various topics related to the poor in Chile: "Poverty and inequality in today's Chile," "Poverty as social construction," "Poverty and security: the case of stigmatized neighborhoods," "Poverty and civic life: social promotion of families at risk," "Social policies and inclusiveness," and "Overcoming poverty: education as a point of departure."
CREAS facilitated at the University the training of twenty-five social leaders of the neighborhood unit No. 29, of the José María Caro population of Lo Espejo commune.
- Downloadable Documents from CREAS. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Men for Others". onlineministries.creighton.edu. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "CUI | Centro Universitario Ignaciano | U.A.Hurtado | 2016". www.cuignaciano.uahurtado.cl. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Multimedia, Puntos. "Universidad Alberto Hurtado crea Observatorio de Seguridad Social". Cambio21.cl. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Delgado, Gemma Simon. "Instituciones y entidades miembros". Universidad Pontificia Comillas (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Seminario "Migraciones: desafíos para Chile a la luz de la experiencia española"". Revista Sur (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Chile., BioBioChile - La Red de Prensa Más Grande de (2013-06-29). "Inadecuado nombramiento en INDH: Para velar por los derechos humanos hay que creer en ellos". BioBioChile - La Red de Prensa Más Grande de Chile (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Fondos Concursables para Iniciativas Estudiantiles 2014 | Universidad Alberto Hurtado". Universidad Alberto Hurtado (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Fondos Concursables | Universidad Alberto Hurtado". www.uahurtado.cl (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Quienes somos". creas.uahurtado.cl. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Aprendizaje Servicio en el Mundo - ASFACEUBB". ASFACEUBB (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Aprendizaje Servicio | Formación Integral | Estudiantes | Universidad Alberto Hurtado". Universidad Alberto Hurtado (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Académico del ICSO participa como expositor en Seminario sobre el Movimiento Estudiantil". www.icso.cl (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Seminario sobre Acreditaciones de Comercio Justo en Chile - Comercio Justo » Fair Trade". Comercio Justo » Fair Trade (in español). 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- ":: e - noticias / Universidad Alberto Hurtado ::". boletin.uahurtado.cl. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- "El proyecto del (CREAS) de la Universidad Alberto Hurtado "Construye tu plan" fue elegido en el 2° Concurso "Ciudadanía Activa"". www.redunes.org (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "PREU ALBERTO HURTADO". PREU ALBERTO HURTADO (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Estudio revela grado de satisfacción laboral en trabajadores de Región Metropolitana | Universidad Alberto Hurtado". Universidad Alberto Hurtado (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- noticias.universia.cl. "Un Techo para Chile y Universidad Alberto Hurtado continúan con la VII Cátedra de Liderazgo Social". Noticias Universia Chile (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Riquelme, Edison. "Líderes y lideresas de Lo Espejo son certificados por FOSIS y la UAH". www.fosis.cl (in español). Retrieved 2017-02-14.
This article "Center for Reflection and Social Action (CREAS)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Center for Reflection and Social Action (CREAS). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.