Chandrashekhar Azad Ravan
|Chandrashekhar Azad Ravan|
|Edit this InfoBox|
|Born||Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Education||Graduate in Law|
|Alma mater||Lucknow University|
|Occupation||Lawyer, Dalit Rights Activist|
Chandrashekhar Azad Ravan is a social and dalit activist. He is co-founder and president of Bhim Army.
Ravan hails from Ghadkhauli village of Saharanpur, Western Uttar Pradesh. His father Govardhan Das retired as a principal of a government school. He came to prominence as a Dalit leader after a board titled “The Great Chamars of Ghadkhauli Welcome You” was installed by him on the outskirts of his village.
Ravan, Satish Kumar, and Vinay Ratan Singh founded Bhim Army in 2014, an organisation that works for the emancipation of Dalits through education in India. It runs free schools for Dalits in the western Uttar Pradesh.
He was arrested in relation to the Saharanpur violence incident. Ravan was arrested under the National Security Act by the Uttar Pradesh Government after he was granted bail by the Allahabad High Court noting that the arrests were not politically motivated, was continuously imprisoned by the state government.
- Trivedi, Divya (2 February 2018). "Fighting spirit". Frontline. The Hindu Group. Archived from the original on 16 January 2019. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Doval, Nikita (9 June 2017). "Chandrashekhar Azad—The man in the blue scarf". Mint. Archived from the original on 16 January 2019. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Tiwary, Deeptiman (26 June 2018). "Walking the faultlines: The Bhim Army has been slowly gaining ground among Dalits locally". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 20 June 2019. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "'Story of India Is the Story of Caste' - The Wire". The Wire. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- Rajvanshi, Shalini (18 May 2018). "What is the Bhim Army?". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 12 May 2018. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "14 दिन की हिरासत में रावण, गिरफ्तारी के पीछे गर्लफ्रेंड का हाथ". www.navodayatimes.in (in हिन्दी). Retrieved 2018-03-15.