September 12, 1992|
Lakeville, MN, United States
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
|Weight||165 lb (75 kg; 11 st 11 lb)|
New York Riveters|
Search Chelsea Laden on Amazon.
Chelsea Laden (born September 12, 1992) is an American ice hockey goaltender. Laden was one of the first three players signed to the Connecticut Whale franchise of the National Women's Hockey League (NWHL), before being traded to the New York Riveters in the first ever league trade for the NWHL.
Early life and education
Laden grew up in Lakevillege, Minnesota, the second of five children. She attended Lakeville South High School, from where she moved on to Quinnipiac University on a full ride sports scholarship. For four seasons, Laden played in the National Collegiate Athletic Association for Quinnipiac University, where she graduated in 2015 with a bachelor's degree from its pre-medical program. During her senior year, she was named the Mandi Schwartz student athlete of the year. In 2017, she enrolled at Illinois College of Optometry.
Laden served as Quinnipiac's starting netminder during her final two seasons and was described as a driving force to the team's success.
In 2015, Laden signed a $14,000 contract with the Connecticut Whale of the newly established NWHL, joining the first paid professional women's league in North America.. Laden played her debut NWHL game with the Connecticut Whale on October 18, 2015, her only on-ice appearance with the franchise. Sports Illustrated, which highlighted Laden in a feature story about the NWHL, noted that Laden believed her hockey career to be over until the NWHL signed her.
In January 2016, Laden was traded to the New York Riveters in exchange for Riveters goaltender Shenae Lundberg. The trade was the first ever league trade for the NWHL. Laden appeared in two games for the Riveters during the 2015/16 season. Laden worked for an optometrist while playing hockey.
- Optometry, Illinois College of. "A Day in the Life - Illinois College of Optometry". www.ico.edu.
- ALTAVILLA, JOHN. "Women's Pro Hockey League Has Believers; Connecticut Whale In First Place".
- "League Leader". The Quinnipiac Chronicle.
- Murphy, Mike (February 17, 2016). "Exclusive Interview with Chelsea Laden of the New York Riveters". Vox Media.
- Clinton, Jared (January 28, 2016). "NWHL sees first trade as Whale, Riveters swap goaltenders". The Hockey News. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- Niesen, Joan (October 27, 2015). "Hopeful signs in NWHL's first season". Sports Illustrated.
- NWHL (January 2016). "NWHL Announces First League Trade". NWHL.Co. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "Optometry Podcast: Twenty4K LLC with Chelsea Laden". DeFocus Media. May 21, 2018.
- Biographical information and career statistics from Eliteprospects.com
This article "Chelsea Laden" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Chelsea Laden. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.