Citilink Flight 800
On December 28, 2016, Citilink flight 800 was delayed for one hour when the pilot reported to work under the influence of alcohol. When boarded passengers complained about his intoxication, the pilot was arrested and a replaced by a new pilot to complete the flight to Jakarta. The original pilot was later fired.
Citilink flight 800 was scheduled to fly from Surabaya to Jakarta with 154 passengers, four flight attendants, and two pilots. The aircraft is an Airbus A320-214 registration PK-GQD and the aircraft was delivered in 2014. It was powered by two CFM International CFM56-5B6 engines and with a capacity of 180 passengers.
The pilot arrived at security and though he appeared intoxicated was permitted to board the plane. Boarded passengers claimed the pilot made an incomprehensible announcement. Alarmed passengers reported incident to Citilink staff, who notified the police. Some passengers walked off the airplane.
The police arrived, removed the pilot from the aircraft, and arrested him. Take off was delayed by an hour as the airline arranged for a new pilot to fly the aircraft to Jakarta. Several passengers posted videos on social media that showed the behavior of the inebriated pilot and expressed their concern.
The captain of the flight was identified as 32-year-old Tekad Purna, an experienced pilot who had logged more than 5,000 hours of flight time. The captain had previously flown for Indonesia AirAsia on the Boeing 737-300 and later the Airbus A320-200, but was fired after a drug test showed levels of psychotropic substances in his system. He was subsequently hired by Citilink to pilot the Airbus A320. Fellow AirAsia pilots reported that he had good flying skills but began to act strangely after his promotion to captain.
The incident was widely reported by international news companies. The Indonesian Transport Ministry issued a public apology over the incident. The ministry later added that the pilot had undergone drug testing conducted by the National Anti-Narcotics Agency (Indonesia).
A video captured from cameras at the airport security checkpoint that showed the drunk pilot nearly losing his balance during the security check went viral. A police investigation resulted in the Indonesian Transport Ministry giving Citilink a negative citation.
Immediately following the incident, Citilink fired Purna and issued letters of apology to affected passengers. Citilink's CEO, Albert Burhan and Operations Director, Hadinoto Soedigno, resigned as a result of the incident. Indonesian Transport Minister Budi Karya Samadi praised these resignations, stating that they were "very gentle".
Citilink still operates the Surabaya to Jakarta route, but the flight number has since changed to "713," for the Airbus A320 and the Airbus A320neo. Flight 800 is still used, but now it flies the Surabaya to Semarang route.
- "Citilink: Drunk pilot caught on camera at Surabaya Airport". www.news.com.au.
- "Citilink CEO Steps Down After Sacking 'Drunk' Pilot of Flight QC 800". Jakarta Globe. 30 December 2016.
- TomoNews US. "Drinking and flying: Indonesian pilot attempts to fly commercial plane while drunk - TomoNews" – via YouTube.
- "Pilot Ngelantur di Pesawat, Penerbangan Citilink Sempat Delay". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Citilink executives quit after video emerges of allegedly drunk pilot". The Sydney Morning Herald. 31 December 2016.
- "Ini 10 Fakta Tekad Purna, Pilot Citilink yang Diduga Mabuk, Termasuk Alumnus Unhas dan SMA 17". Tribun Timur. 1 January 2017.
- "Shocking CCTV footage shows 'drunk' pilot stumbling through security before being fired when he 'tried to fly an aircraft with 154 passengers on board'". The Sun. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Kemenhub Minta Maaf Soal Pilot Ngelantur dan Minta Citilink Tindak Tegas". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Allegedly drunk pilot filmed stumbling through security". USA Today. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Ada Pilot Mabuk, Kemhub Layangkan Peringatan Pertama ke Citilink". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Penjelasan Lengkap Citilink Soal Pilot Ngelantur Jelang Terbang". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Pilotnya Diduga Mabuk, CEO Citilink Mengundurkan Diri". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Two Indonesian airline executives resign after footage shows pilot staggering to plane". ABC. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "CEO Citilink Mundur, Menhub: Sangat Gentle!". Detik. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Citilink (QG) #713 ✈ 28-Dec-2018 ✈ SUB / WARR - CGK / WIII ✈ FlightAware". FlightAware.
- "Citilink (QG) #800 ✈ FlightAware". FlightAware.
This article "Citilink Flight 800" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Citilink Flight 800. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.