Damon M. Joseph
|Damon M. Joseph|
|🏡 Residence||Holland, Ohio|
|Criminal charge||Attempting to Provide Material Support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS)|
Damon Joseph was arrested on December 7, 2018 in Holland, Ohio, he was charged with attempting to provide material support to ISIS and arrested a few days prior to Elizabeth Lecron.
The two synagogues Joseph allegedly planned to attack were Congregation B’nai Israel, (Conservative,) and Temple Shomer Emunim, (Reformed.) Both synagogues are located on the campus of the Jewish Community Center campus in [[Sylvania, Ohio).
Arrest and legal proceedings
Joseph was arrested on 7 December and charged with one count of attempting to provide material support to ISIS. The penalty, if convicted, is up to 20 years in prison.
Joseph was radicalized online.
Investigators began to correspond with Joseph in September 2018, posing as ISIS agents, after images of knives and firearms on his social media accounts drew concern. As one of his social media photos had been originally distributed by the media wing of ISIS. He allegedly told undercover agents that he was inspired by the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, and he admired the shooter, stating that; "My opinion is that Jews are evil and they get what's coming to them."
On December 2, 2018 he sent details of his plan to an undercover agent, to carry out an attack on at least one Toledo synagogue, and added notes of what types of weapons and ammunition to gather, when to attack and how to escape or shoot out with police. On December 7, he met with an undercover agent and took a black duffel bag containing two semiautomatic rifles that had been rendered inoperable by officials, he was then arrested. His connection to ISIS was highlighted in a statement released by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers, where he claimed Joseph's actions were allegedly inspired by ISIS's call to violence and hate and that Joseph planned the attack in the name of ISIS.
- Li, David K. (December 10, 2018). "Alleged ISIS supporter and woman accused of planning terror attack arrested". NBC News. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Hedapohl, Jackie (20 December 2018). "Terror Threat Near Toledo". The Detroit Jewish News. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- Snyder, Kate; Lindstrom, Lauren (17 December 2018). "Suspects in Toledo plots found extremist communities online". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- Morales, Mark (December 10, 2018). "Synagogue, pipeline were targeted by Ohioans arrested in terror plots, officials say". CNN. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Snyder, Kate (December 10, 2018). "Man, woman arrested in Ohio for plotting massacres; one said he admired accused Tree of Life shooter". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Lindstrom, Lauren; Snyder, Kate (16 December 2018). "Couple accused of plotting attack left trail of breadcrumbs in dark corners of the Internet". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Pegues, Jeff (December 10, 2018). "Feds bust 2 people for separate alleged terror plots in Ohio". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Rosenberg, Eli (December 10, 2018). "I can see myself carrying out this operation.' Feds say man was planning synagogue attack for ISIS". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Ohio man arrested and charged in federal court after planning an attack on a synagogue in the Toledo area". www.justice.gov. 2018-12-10. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
This article "Damon Joseph" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Damon Joseph. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.