Dasman Diabetes Institute
|Dasman Diabetes Institute|
|Lua error in Module:Infobox_mapframe at line 118: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Affiliated university||Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences|
|Patron||Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah|
Dasman Diabetes Institute (DDI) is a medical research institute based in Sharq, Kuwait. It is founded by Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences in 2006 as a tertiary level center to prevent and treat local population for diabetes and other related conditions via a combination of research, training, treatment, education and health promotion.
In mid-2000s, Shiekh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, the late Emir of Kuwait, put forth the idea of establishing a diabetes-focused research facility. Following this, the DDI was established in 2006 by Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences and was inaugurated by Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the current Emir of Kuwait.
According to medical fraternity, the country is facing chronic diseases like diabetes, which was not the case earlier. And, in the past fifteen years the rise in the cases of diabetes is because of the change in lifestyles. So, to deal with it, DDI was established. For tackling diabetes at the grassroots level, DDI in partnership with Blue Circle, a voluntary organization - provides blood glucose monitors and its consumables at extremely low prices for diabetes patients across Kuwait.
Dasman Diabetes Institute entered into a partnership with the University of Canberra in 2018. The partnership focuses on capacity building for spatial epidemiology in Kuwait and develop geographic information systems in the form of a Geohealth lab for combating the increasing prevalence of Type 2 diabetes in Kuwait. With the University of Canberra, DDI offers a Graduate Certificate in spatial epidemiology since 2018.
In October 2018, DDI signed a memorandum of understanding with French pharmaceutical company Sanofi to enter into two collaborative projects - “Kids and Diabetes in School Project (KiDS) ” and “Good Clinical Practices Training”
In September 2019, DDI initiated the Zebrafish research platform with the support of the Kuwait Ministry of Health and in partnership with Montreal Medical International and the University of Montreal.
But, the one of the most prominent findings was published in International Journal of Clinical Practice in the year 2013. It was about the first national survey conducted in Kuwait about diabetes and associated cardiovascular risk factors. The survey was considered to be the first hard evidence on the current diabetes situation in Kuwait. The findings were supported by a cohort study conducted an year earlier by the another set of scholars from DDI. The result of the study was published in BMJ Open.
The Institute started a Postgraduate Master’s program in Diabetes Care, Education and Management in 2011, in partnership with the University of Dundee School of Medicine. The program was concluded in 2019 with a total of 210 graduates across Kuwait.
In 2017, DDI collaborated with Prime Advanced Learning Institute (PALI) to deliver competency-based training, education & consultancy across the GCC region.
Awards and Recognition
- Platinum Category Award by International Quality Summit in 2016.
- International Genetic Disorders Prevention Award for the year 2018. Category: Most Innovative Research Institution in the field of genetic research - Regional.
- In 2014, DDI received official accreditation and recognition as a Referencing Collaborating Center for diabetes mellitus in GCC countries.
- Kazem Behbehani, former Director-General of DDI and former World Health Organization envoy.
- "Dasman Diabetes Institute participates in Muscat congress". Kuwait Times.
- "The Kuwait–Scotland eHealth Innovation Network (KSeHIN): a sustainable approach to quality improvement in healthcare". Quality in Primary Care. Radcliffe Publishing: 45. 2014. eISSN 1479-1064. Unknown parameter
- "Dasman Diabetes Institute: Kuwait's staunch bulwark against diabetes | Kuwait Times". news.kuwaittimes.net. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- "DDI and Blue Circle sign agreement" (PDF). Arab Times. October 16, 2018. p. 5. Retrieved December 30, 2019. Unknown parameter
- Staff, Monitor (2017-09-06). "Kuwait partnership to map diabetes footprint". www.canberra.edu.au. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- "Saving lives with location". Spatial Source. 2018-04-05. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- Paul, Shimonti (2018-05-03). "GIS and Health - A stronger bond is a must for a happier world". Geospatial World. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- "University of Canberra, ANNUAL REPORT 2018, Volume 1" (PDF). Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly. April 2019. p. 30. Unknown parameter
- "Dasman Diabetes Institute signs MoU with Sanofi" (PDF). Arab Times. Kuwait News Agency. October 25, 2018. Unknown parameter
- "DDI successfully commences Zebrafish 'Research Platform'" (PDF). Arab Times. September 26, 2019. Retrieved December 30, 2019. Unknown parameter
- "Dasman Diabetes Institute | Kuwait City, Kuwait". ResearchGate. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- Hindawi. "Dasman Diabetes Institute". www.hindawi.com. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- Alarouj, M.; Bennakhi, A.; Alnesef, Y.; Sharifi, M.; Elkum, N. (2013). "Diabetes and associated cardiovascular risk factors in the State of Kuwait: the first national survey". International Journal of Clinical Practice. 67 (1): 89–96. doi:10.1111/ijcp.12064. ISSN 1742-1241. PMID 23241053.
- Farran, Bassam; Channanath, Arshad Mohamed; Behbehani, Kazem; Thanaraj, Thangavel Alphonse (2013-01-01). "Predictive models to assess risk of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and comorbidity: machine-learning algorithms and validation using national health data from Kuwait—a cohort study". BMJ Open. 3 (5): e002457. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-002457. ISSN 2044-6055. PMC 3657675. PMID 23676796.
- "UoD, DDI mark 8 yrs of delivering postgraduate diabetes education" (PDF). Arab Times. February 4, 2019. Retrieved December 30, 2019. Unknown parameter
- "DDI launches collaboration with PALI" (PDF). Arab Times. September 25, 2017. Retrieved December 30, 2019. Unknown parameter
- "Dasman Diabetes Institute receives 'Platinum Award'" (PDF). Arab Times. June 28, 2016. p. 7. Unknown parameter
- "DDI wins International Genetic Disorder Prevention Award". Arab Times, via PressReader. Unknown parameter
- Almaghribtoday, Almaghribtoday Almaghribtoday Almaghribtoday Almaghribtoday بناية النخيل-رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت- لبنان; Almaghribtoday; Almaghribtoday. "Dasman Diabetes Institute recognized as GCC reference center". almaghribtoday (in العربية). Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- "Professor Kazem Behbehani OBE | Harris Manchester College". Retrieved 2019-12-30.
This article "Dasman Diabetes Institute" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Dasman Diabetes Institute. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.