|File:Datari Turner studio.jpg |
Turner in the studio
|Born||Datari Lamont Turner|
April 2, 1979
Oakland, California, U.S.
|📆 Years active||2000–present|
|🤑 Net worth||US$10 million|
(m. 2009; annulled 2010)
Datari Lamont Turner (born April 2, 1979) is an American film producer, television producer, screenwriter and actor. In the late 1990s, Turner worked as a model. After minor acting roles, he wrote and produced Video Girl (2011), directed by Ty Hodges. He is the creator of the BET series Ultimate Hustler (2005), the We TV documentary series Growing Up Hip Hop (2016) and its spin-off, Growing Up Hip Hop: Atlanta (2017).
Early life and modeling career
Turner was born in Oakland, California on April 2, 1979. His family moved to Richmond, California at age 8. Turner's father worked as a government employee, his mother worked at the local school board. He went to Oklahoma State University. Turner signed with Ford Models in 1998. Turner was accepted into Yale School of Drama, but could not attend because of his modelling career.
Film and television career
In 2002, Turner participated in the Disney/ABC writing program. He wrote Video Girl, a semi-autobiographical look at the hip hop industry. Turner created the BET reality TV series Ultimate Hustler, presented by Damon Dash. He produced LUV, starring Common, Danny Glover, and Dennis Haysbert, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2013. While working on LUV Turner also produced About Cherry, starring James Franco and Dev Patel. About Cherry premiered at the 62nd Annual Berlin Film Festival. Turner produced and starred in the indie comedy Dysfunctional Friends that premiered at both SXSW and the ABFF Film Festival respectively.
The dark comedy It's a Disaster, produced by Turner, opened in theaters April 2013. Kilimanjaro starring Brian Geraghty and Abigail Spencer premiered at SXSW in 2013. The Neil Labute film Some Velvet Morning starring Alice Eve and Stanley Tucci, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2013. Turner produced, co-wrote and co-starred in the film Lap Dance. He was also an executive producer on the John Stockwell thriller Kid Cannabis as well as an associate producer on the Katherine Heigl film Jackie and Ryan, which premiered at the 71st Venice Film Festival.
In March 2013, it was announced that a film based upon the life of former pornographic actress Vanessa del Rio was in production, with Turner attached to produce. Colombian-American actress Zulay Henao was announced as its lead actress. In December 2015, the film was not in full production. Turner signed a first look deal with Codeblack Films, a subsidiary of Lionsgate Films, in 2014. Through the deal, Lionsgate will distribute Datari Turner Productions' films throughout the United States and Canada.
In television, Turner produces Love Thy Sister, premiering January 2015, and Growing Up Hip Hop, premiering January 2016, both on WE tv. Turner serves as the shows' creator and executive producer. A Girl Like Grace produced and co-starring Turner, also featuring Meagan Good, Raven Symone and Garcelle Beauvais, premiered at the LA Film Festival June 2017. 9 Rides produced by Turner premiered at the SXSW Film Festival. Gook, a story about two Korean children who protect their shoe store in South Los Angeles during the 1992 Los Angeles riots, won the Audience Award at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival and was acquired by Samuel Goldwyn[dubious ] for theatrical release in August 2017. Turner produced, wrote and starred in Supermodel, a film about the fashion industry—also starring Tyson Beckford, Sessilee Lopez and Roger Guenveur Smith. Supermodel was acquired by Netflix and will premiere on the platform in 2017.
In September 2016, Turner signed a first look TV producing deal with Entertainment One, to create, produce and develop new original programing. Growing Up Hip Hop: Atlanta, a spin-off, premiered May 25, 2017 on WEtv. A Boy. A Girl. A Dream is in production.
Turner married 1997's Miss Rhode Island Claudia Jordan in November 2009. Three months later, their marriage was annulled. Turner resides in Beverly Hills, California. Turner said he is "very spiritual" and thanks God everyday.
- Smith, Eleanor (24 August 2017). "'GUHH' Creator Datari Turner, From Male Model To Moviemaking Mogul". Parlemag.com. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- "Eye Candy: Datari Turner". Essence.com. 2 January 2012. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- "Datari Turner". TheBlackhouse.org. 2016. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- "BET's Ultimate Hustler 2005". Hollywood.com. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (26 August 2013). "Producer Datari Turner Says Audiences Will Be 'Pleasantly Surprised' By 'Lap Dance' + New Clip". IndieWire. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- Kyt, Boris (29 July 2014). "'Single Moms Club' Actress to Star in Vanessa del Rio Biopic (Exclusive)". TheHollywoodReporter.com. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (29 December 2015). "50+ Biopics on Black Public Figures Still 'In Limbo' – Here's the Full List, Updated 1 Year Later". indiewire. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (17 September 2014). "Lionsgate's Codeblack Signs First-Look Deal with Datari Turner". Variety.com. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- Ford, Rebecca (17 July 2014). "Indie Producer Datari Turner Signs First-Look Deal With Codeblack Films". TheHollywoodReporter.com. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- Mendoza, Tanya (October 18, 2017). "'Growing Up Hip Hop' creator Dtari Turner stops by Good Day Atlanta". Fox5Atlanta. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (27 April 2017). "Omari Hardwick, Meagan Good To Star In 'A Boy. A Girl. A Dream: Love On Election Night'". Deadline.com. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (7 September 2016). "Producer Datari Turner Inks First-Look Deal With Entertainment One". Deadline.com. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- "Claudia Jordan: My Secret Husband is a 'Fraud'". TMZ.com. April 6, 2010. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- "EXCLUSIVE: RHOA's Claudia Jordan is Hardly a Housewife!". Spin.com. November 28, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
This article "Datari Turner" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.