Deborah Smith Pegues
|Deborah Smith Pegues|
|Born||Deborah Ann Smith|
1950 (age 70–71)
|🎓 Alma mater|
|Television||Winning with Deborah|
Darnell Pegues (m. 1979)
Deborah Ann Smith Pegues (//; born 1950) is an American author, known for her self-help devotional, 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue, which has sold over a million copies. She hosts a faith-based television program, Winning with Deborah, on Trinity Broadcasting Network's TBN Salsa.
Early life and education
Deborah Ann Smith was born in Texas to Rube and Doris Smith. She is the second oldest of seven siblings and the only daughter. She grew up during the civil rights movement, and had worked part-time as a domestic maid. She attended A.M. Story High School in Palestine, Texas. After desegregation of the schools in Palestine in 1967, and the closure of A.M. Story, she attended Palestine High School in her senior year. She graduated as the school’s first African American valedictorian in 1968.
She attended University of North Texas and was a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. She received her Bachelor's degree in Accounting in 1972, and attended University of Southern California, where she earned her MBA in Finance in 1975.
In 1983, Pegues worked for MCA Inc., and became vice president of their venture capital division. She also worked for three years at Hughes Aircraft Company as a budgeting and forecasting manager. Afterwards, Pegues worked as an independent CPA and financial consultant.
In 1998, Pegues joined the staff of West Angeles Church of God in Christ, a mega-church in Los Angeles, California, as their Chief Financial Officer. In 2006, she left her position at the church to become a full-time author and speaker.
Author, television host, and speaker
Pegues has written over 16 self-help books published by Harvest House. Her best-known book, 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue, was published in 2005. It challenges readers to a "tongue fast" or abstinence from complaining, gossiping, retaliating, half-truths, and other negative verbal behaviors for a 30-day period. The book has sold over a million copies, garnering a Platinum sales achievement award from the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association.
In addition to other books in the ''30 Days'' series, Pegues has written Forgive, Let Go, and Live, Emergency Prayers, and Confronting Without Offending. She has guest blogged on websites for T.D. Jakes and Magic Johnson. She has contributed articles to Huffington Post and Charisma.
Pegues hosts a television program on TBN Salsa, Winning with Deborah. The program covers practical application of biblical scriptures to relationships, finances, health, and spiritual growth. She has also been a featured guest on the Christian-based television talk shows, Hour of Power, Today with Marilyn & Sarah, and My New Day with Bob and Audrey.
Reviewing 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue, Sabrina Clore wrote in Beyond Today magazine: "Meant to be a 30-day challenge to taming that most unruly member, the tongue, it is good to note James 3:18, where Jesus’ brother James says, 'No man can tame the tongue.' Realizing this, there are still many words of wisdom given on how to tame your tongue in the Bible. This book is the author’s personal study and thoughts as she studied what the Bible had to say about the tongue."
Dr. Carlus Gupton, Professor of Ministry at Harding School of Theology, described Confronting Without Offending as "a practical guide to confrontation, laced with biblical principle". He wrote in his LifeandLeadership book summary: "While there are more technical volumes on this subject, Pegues is excellent for those needing a quick, popularly-written guide to this important aspect of the ministry of reconciliation."
She married Darnell Pegues, a financial executive, on April 14, 1979.
30 Days series
- 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue: What You Say (and Don’t Say) Will Improve Your Relationships, Harvest House Publishers, 2005. ISBN 9780736915601 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Finances: What to Do (and Not Do) to Better Manage Your Money, Harvest House Publishers, 2006. ISBN 9780736918367 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue Workbook, Harvest House Publishers, 2007. ISBN 9780736921312 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Improving Your Attitude: Strategies for a Better Outlook on Life, Harvest House Publishers, 2009. ISBN 9780736926416 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Fears: Practical Help for a More Peaceful and Productive Life, Harvest House Publishers, 2011. ISBN 9780736920414 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Emotions: Discover the Calm, Confident, Caring You, Harvest House Publishers, 2012. ISBN 9780736948258 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Anger: How to Find Peace When Irritated, Frustrated, or Infuriated, Harvest House Publishers, 2013. ISBN 9780736945745 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to Taming Your Kid’s Tongue, Harvest House Publishers, 2014. ISBN 9780736958295 Search this book on .
- 30 Days to a Stronger, More Confident You: Secrets to Bold and Fearless Living, Harvest House Publishers, 2015. ISBN 9780736961219 Search this book on .
- Managing Conflict God’s Way, Whitaker House, 1997. ISBN 9780883685167 Search this book on .
- Show Me the Money: Uncovering “D” Pitfalls & “D” Path to Prosperity , Wisdom Publications, 2000. ISBN 9780970679703 Search this book on .
- The Tongue Fast: 21 Days to Glorifying Speech , Wisdom Publications, 2001. ISBN 9780970679710 Search this book on .
- Conquering Insecurity: Secrets to a More Confident You, Harvest House Publishers, 2005. ISBN 9780736915694 Search this book on .
- Supreme Confidence: Secrets to Bold and Fearless Living, Harvest House Publishers, 2008. ISBN 9780736920629 Search this book on .
- Emergency Prayers: God’s Help in Your Time of Need, Harvest House Publishers, 2008. ISBN 9780736922463 Search this book on .
- Financial Survival in Uncertain Times, Harvest House Publishers, 2009. ISBN 9780736927277 Search this book on .
- Confronting Without Offending: Positive and Practical Steps to Resolving , Harvest House Publishers, 2009. ISBN 9780736921497 Search this book on .
- Socially Smart in 60 Seconds: Etiquette Do’s and Don’ts for Personal and Professional Success, Harvest House Publishers, 2009. ISBN 9780736920506 Search this book on .
- Why Smart People Make Dumb Choices (with Ricky Temple), Harvest House Publishers, 2010. ISBN 9780736928526 Search this book on .
- Choose Your Attitude, Change Your Life…in 30 Days, Harvest House Publishers, 2014. ISBN 9780736958271 Search this book on .
- Forgive, Let Go, and Live, Harvest House Publishers, 2015. ISBN 9780736962223 Search this book on .
- Socially Confident in 60 Seconds: Practical Tips for Navigating Any Situation, Harvest House Publishers, 2016. ISBN 9780736962292 Search this book on .
- The One-Minute Money Mentor for Women, Harvest House Publishers, 2018. ISBN 9780736972260 Search this book on .
- Odom, Janice (10 Oct 1971). "1971 North Texas Yucca Beauties". Denton Record-Chronicle. p. 5.
...Deborah Ann Smith of Palestine - sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, the senior accounting major is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Phi Chi Theta business sorority, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and Mortar Board, honor organization for senior women.
- "Search Request: Left Anchored Name = Pegues Deborah Smith". United States Copyright Office. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Deborah Smith-Pegues (April 16, 2015). "Deborah Smith Pegues Interview" (Interview). Hour of Power (2359). Interviewed by Bobby Schuller. Retrieved October 16, 2018 – via Official YouTube channel.
- Pegues, Deborah Smith (2006). "Acknowledgements". 30 Days to Taming Your Finances. Harvest House Publishers. ISBN 9780736932462. Retrieved October 18, 2018 – via Google Books. Search this book on
- "Top Graduates Announced for Palestine Class". Tyler Morning Telegraph. 23 May 1968. p. 25.
Commencement exercises for the 1968 graduating class of Palestine High School will be held at 8 p.m., Friday at Luckett Field. Valedictorian of the class is Miss Deborah Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ruben Smith.
- Deborah and Darnell Pegues. "Commandments for a Heavenly Marriage" (online video). My New Day with Bob and Audrey. Interviewed by Bob and Audrey Meisner. Retrieved October 12, 2018 – via My New Day TV.
- Deborah Smith Pegues (September 13, 2016). "HomeWord Daily: Deborah Smith Pegues: Learning to Control the Stress in Your Life - Part 2". HomeWord (audio). Interviewed by Jim Burns. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- PHS Arc Light 1968 (yearbook). phsarclights.com. p. 183 (full name and high school activities, including being Miss A.M. Story). Retrieved October 14, 2018. Search this book on
- RAINWATER, MARY. "A Piece of History". palestineherald.com. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- Maresh, Michael (October 13, 2017). "50 Years Later, City's Last All-Black School Still Inspires". Palestine Herald-Press. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- "Palestine High School Arc Lights". Palestine High School Alumni Association. Select yearbook and review Valedictorians from 1954 to 1968.
- University of North Texas Alumni Directory, 2010. University of North Texas Libraries Government Documents Department. Denton, Texas. 2010. p. 1568. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
'72 Smith, Deborah Ann;Search this book on
- "Deborah Pegues: TV Host, Winning with Deborah". LinkedIn. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Business and People". Los Angeles Times. 12 Apr 1983. p. 40.
MCA New Ventures of Universal City has promoted Deborah Smith-Pegues to vice president finance.
- "About – Deborah Smith Pegues". Confronting Issues (Deborah Smith Pegues official website). February 23, 2014.
- Stanus, Joan (July 16, 1998). "Behavior Consultant Takes On Conflict and Finances in Seminar". The Virginian-Pilot. Norfolk, Virginia. Archived from the original on November 17, 2018. Retrieved October 18, 2018 – via HighBeam Research. Unknown parameter
- "West Angeles COGIC Builds Mammoth Facility". Charisma. August 31, 2001. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Shellnutt, Kate (March 16, 2017). "Evangelical Leaders Challenge Trump's 'America First' Budget". Christianity Today. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- "National Association of Evangelicals Leadership". National Association of Evangelicals. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- Deborah Smith Pegues (July 23, 2018). "Controlling Your Tongue" (radio broadcast / podcast). Focus on the Family. Interviewed by Jim Daly. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- "Gold, Platinum & Diamond Book Awards Winners". Christian Book Expo. Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Pegues, Deborah Smith. "6 Ways to Resist Racism". T.D. Jakes official website. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Pegues, Deborah Smith. "3 Ways to Slay Discontentment". Magic Johnson official website.
- Pegues, Deborah Smith (June 23, 2016). "4 Reasons Christians Forgive the Unforgivable". Huffington Post (published June 23, 2015). Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Pegues, Deborah Smith (February 12, 2015). "5 Ways That Words Can Ruin a Life". Charisma. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Winning with Deborah – videos". Trinity Broadcasting Network. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Marilyn Hickey Ministries. "One-Minute Money Mentor for Women with Deborah Pegues – Part 1". Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Clore, Sabrina (January 5, 2012). "Christian Review: 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue: What You Say (and Don't Say) Will Improve Your Relationships". Beyond Today. United Church of God. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Quann, Charles (2 August 2011). "An unruly tongue will bring no end of trouble". Philadelphia Tribune.
- Gupton, Carlus (September 18, 2012). "Pegues, Confronting Without Offending". LifeandLeadership. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- "Financial Intimacy with Darnell and Deborah Pegues". Winning with Deborah. July 21, 2018. Event occurs at 1:30. Retrieved October 12, 2018 – via Official YouTube channel.
This article "Deborah Smith Pegues" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Deborah Smith Pegues. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.