Dragon King (DC Comics)
|First appearance||All-Star Squadron #4 (December 1981)|
|Created by||Roy Thomas (writer)|
Rich Buckler (artist)
|Team affiliations||Black Dragon Society|
|Abilities||Hybrid of human and lizard|
superior intelligence, strength and speed
The Dragon King will be played by Nelson Lee in the television series Stargirl for DC Universe.
Fictional character biography
The man known as "Dragon King" was a high-ranking official in the Japanese government during World War II, as well as a brilliant scientist. He was the researcher responsible for the creation of the nerve gas K887. He obtained the mythical Holy Grail for axis Japan, and was able to combine it with Adolf Hitler's Spear of Destiny which the German dictator had loaned to Japanese General Hideki Tōjō. With the two items, the Dragon King and Hitler were able to create a field of arcane magic that shielded imperial Japan and Fortress Europa from attack by the allies' super heroes or "Mystery Men". The field ensured that any hero with magic-based powers, or a vulnerability to magic (like Superman), would instantly be converted to the Axis cause, keeping some of the allies' most powerful heroes out of the theatre of war. Some heroes were temporarily able to circumvent this for humanitarian missions, despite the Dragon King's best efforts. After Japan's surrender on August 15, 1945, the Dragon King went into hiding and experimented with combining his own genetic material with that of a lizard. He eventually succeeded in making himself a hybrid of human and reptile.
In more recent history, the Dragon King resurfaced in the fictional town of Blue Valley, Nebraska, with a daughter named Cindy Burman, now a villainess called "Shiv". He clashed against the second Star-Spangled Kid, Courtney Whitmore, her sidekick S.T.R.I.P.E., and the Shining Knight, while the latter was on a quest to reclaim the Holy Grail. It is strongly implied during this confrontation that the Dragon King had in the past murdered the All-Star Squadron member Firebrand. During this fight, the Dragon King himself was apparently killed, although his body was never found. He later resurfaced with the Spear of Destiny in his possession and attempted to raise an army of super-powered soldiers, but was defeated by the Justice Society of America.
In other media
- Dragon King makes a cameo appearance in the Young Justice episode "Humanity", as part of a flashback sequence. He attempts to assassinate the Flash at the 1939 World's Fair, but ends up shooting Firebrand by mistake.
- Dragon King will appear in the upcoming DC Universe series Stargirl portrayed by Nelson Lee.
- Beatty, Scott (2008), "Dragon King", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia (Updated), New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 110, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5, OCLC 213309017
- McDermott, Mark R. (2009). "The Invaders and the All-Star Squadron: Roy Thomas Revisits the Golden Age". In Weiner, Robert G. Captain America and the Struggle of the Superhero: Critical Essays. McFarland & Company. p. 47. ISBN 9780786453405. OCLC 277136422. Retrieved 2019-08-31. Search this book on
- Thomas, Roy (w), Buckler, Rich (p), Ordway, Jerry (i). "Day of the Dragon King!" All-Star Squadron 4 (December 1981)
- Thomas, Roy (w), Simons, Dave (p), Downs, Bob (i). Young All-Stars 27 (July 1989)
- Johns, Geoff (w), Moder, Lee (p), Davis, Dan (i). "Dragon Food!" Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. 12 (July 2000)
- Tomasi, Peter (w), Kramer, Don (p), Champagne, Keith (i). "The Spear and the Dragon, Part 1" JSA: Classified 8-9 (April 2006)
- Boucher, Geoff (December 20, 2018). "'Stargirl' Casting: Meet Three Members Of Injustice Society". Deadline. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Dragon King Chronology at the DCU Guide
|This article about a DC Comics character is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Dragon King (DC Comics)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Dragon King (DC Comics). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.