|Edit this InfoBox|
|Other names||Earthling Ed|
|Years active||2016 - present|
|Known for||Animal Rights Advocacy & Viral Speeches|
|Movement||Animal Rights & Veganism|
Ed Winters[edit | edit source]
Ed Winters (born 1994) is a British animal rights activist, filmmaker and lecturer. He has a large social media presence on platforms such as YouTube and Instagram, where he goes by the username Earthling Ed. He is recognised as a figurehead in the vegan movement, with his university lecture "You Will Never Look at Your Life in the Same Way Again" being viewed over 33 million times online. He gave two TEDx talks in early 2019 and has taught classes on the ethics of using animals as commodities at Harvard University.
Personal Life[edit | edit source]
Winters is based in London, England. He turned vegetarian in 2014 after coming across an article in the news about a chicken truck crashing near Manchester. Upon reading that many of the birds had died during the crash, he "realised that all animals had the capacity to suffer", something that he had never considered before. He later went vegan after his partner suggested that they watch the documentary Earthlings together. He later made the decision to "devote his life to animal rights".
Animal Rights Advocacy[edit | edit source]
Winters started his YouTube channel in 2016, alongside co-founding the animal rights organisation Surge with his partner. He specifically focuses on education as means in which to advocate, with a focus on philosophical and ethical arguments regarding accepting animals into "our circle of moral consideration". His online teachings are based on effective communication and positive community building. In 2016 through Surge Winters co-founded The Official Animal Rights March, which succeeded in a growth from 2,500 participants in London in 2016 to 28,000 participants across the world in 2018. In 2017 he also produced the documentary Land of Hope and Glory, which "revealed the hidden truth behind UK animal farming" to which the RSPCA were forced to respond to. He has given speeches in 1/3 of UK universities and across college campuses in America. Winters has appeared on live television numerous times debating the ethical and environmental arguments for veganism. In September 2018 he opened an entirely non-profit vegan restaurant in London called Unity Diner. His campaigning through Surge has resulted in a 100% fur-free catwalk at London Fashion Week.
References[edit | edit source]
- "'Aggressive farmer' attacks vegans laying roses in Oxfordshire". Mail Online. 2018-02-15. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Earthling Ed (2018-04-14), You Will Never Look at Your Life in the Same Way Again | Eye-Opening Speech!, retrieved 2019-04-20
- "Life Changing Videos". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Earthling Ed: Vegan Activism + Education". Earthling Ed: Vegan Activism + Education. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Vegan Activist Earthling Ed Records Second TEDx Talk Of 2019". www.plantbasednews.org. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Vegan Activist Earthling Ed to Teach Animal Rights Class at Harvard University". Vegan News. 2019-04-09. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Earthling Ed". The Vegan Society. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Still a Vegan (2018-06-30), Earthling Ed: A Message to All Activists - "Take it." Part 1, retrieved 2019-04-20
- "In conversation with Earthling Ed". Vegan Food & Living. 2018-08-20. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- TEDx Talks (2019-03-28), The Ostrich Effect: The truth we hide from ourselves | Ed Winters | TEDxLundUniversity, retrieved 2019-04-20
- "Thousands of vegan activists march through London to end animal cruelty". Metro. 2017-09-02. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "TOARM". TOARM. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "If you think that British meat is more humane than American, you're deluded". Metro. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "UK Animal Farming Free Documentary | Land of Hope and Glory". landofhopeandglory. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Land of Hope and Glory film". www.rspcaassured.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Earthling Ed Will Make You Vegan in 30 Minutes or Less". Metiza. 2018-09-18. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Inaugural 'Dairy Alternative Day' Features Vegan Activist Earthling Ed and Dairy-Free Food". The Cornell Daily Sun. 2019-04-09. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Hill, Rose (2018-11-06). "Phil's 'sausage' remark during militant vegan debate shocks This Morning fans". mirror. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Activist Earthling Ed to Open Non-Profit Vegan Diner in London". VegNews.com. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "London Fashion Week Anti-Fur Campaign". SURGE. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Ed Winters" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ed Winters. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.