Exmaid at the 2018 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Alternative rock, psychedelic rock, stoner rock|
|Labels||State Champion Records|
|Associated acts||Black Wine, Psychic Teens|
Exmaid is an American rock band that is from New Jersey.
Exmaid is an alternative rock quartet from New Jersey, that formed in 2016. Initially, Exmaid was the solo project of the New Brunswick, New Jersey punk rock band Black Wine's Miranda Taylor; however, for live performances, she was joined by Joe DeCarolis, Dave Cherasaro, and Larry Ragone, members of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania post-punk and shoegaze group Psychic Teens. By their second release, the three became members of the group. Exmaid plays "fuzzy punk" rock, and a blend of psychedelic and stoner rock, and they draw comparison to the music of the Breeders. Their debut release, the five-track EP Neurotic Fanstasies, was made on 7 November 2016. It was engineered and produced by Eric Bennett at Lakehouse Studios in Asbury Park, New Jersey, between May and August 2016, and contains four original songs, and a rendition of the traditional folk song, "Once I had a Sweetheart." Jim Appio describes the EP as "swing[ing] between darkness and light, heaviness and dreaminess, self-doubt and self-confidence," noting that it draws on elements of post punk and dream pop, and calls it a "simultaneously complex and accessible listen." Following the release, they played dozens of shows across the Northeast of the United States, before entering the studio in the Summer of 2017, to record a full-length album. In February 2018, they released the song "Devoted," which Taylor explains is about "being terrible at decision-making and the frustration of trying to break bad habits." New Noise calls it "one of the most groovy songs we have heard this year," and described by WXPN as a "high-energy take on existential frustration." The Deli describes it as "bright with a brutal edge." It was listed No. 5 in Jersey Beat's Top 5 EPs of 2016.
Exmaid released a music video for the song "Vamp" with Don Giovanni Records, on 27 March 2018. The video was filmed in Flemington, New Jersey, and features footage of the band performing the song at a wedding. After partnering with the independent record label SRA Records, Exmaid released their debut ten-track, full-length album Fair Sex, on 6 April 2018. It was recorded and mixed in 2017 by Eric Bennett, and the cover art is by Christy O'Connor. The record release party for Fair Sex was held at In the West in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on 14 April, and at Long in the Tooth Records in Philadelphia on 21 April, with Dialer. A review of the album by Razorcake note Taylor's "soft, tuneful melodies complement the dense guitars, like a lullaby enveloped in distortion." The review closes with saying Fair Sex is a "record that exudes a palpable passion that's impossible to shake."
The album appears in Jersey Beat's Mark Hughson's Best of 2018, listed at No. 9. in his favorite albums. He writes "deep, dark grunge-punk riffs that hit you in the gut before the ears. It's all a beautiful dream, but with an Amphetamine Reptile soundtrack." Exmaid performed at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, on 6 October 2018.
- Joe DeCarolis
- Dave Cherasaro
- Larry Ragone
- Miranda Taylor
- Fair Sex (2018)
- Neurotic Fantasies (2016)
- Appio, Jim (8 November 2016), "Exmaid, Neurotic Fantasies, 2016", CoolDad Music, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Arenas, Sean (26 November 2018), "Exmaid: Fair Sex: LP", Razorcake, retrieved 11 April 2019
- The Deli Staff (23 February 2018), "New Track: "Devoted" - Exmaid", The Deli, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Hojsak, Sarah (16 February 2018), "New band Exmaid shares "Devoted" from forthcoming album Fair Sex", WXPN, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Hughson, Mark (2017), "Jersey Beat's Top Records of 2016", Jersey Beat, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Hughson, Mark (2019), "Jersey Beat's Best of 2018", Jersey Beat, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Makin, Bob (23 February 2017), "Makin Waves with Vivi Noir & the Noir Follies", Courier News, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Makin, Bob (1 March 2018), "Makin Waves Scene Report with Bobby Mahoney and the Seventh Son, The Skullers, Tapia, Exmaid, Dentist, Doc Rotten, Chris Rockwell & More", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 11 April 2019
- New Noise Staff (14 February 2018), "Song Premiere: Exmaid - "Devoted"", New Noise, retrieved 11 April 2019
- The Public Staff (15 May 2018), "Exmaid, Orations, Uniform Operator", The Public, retrieved 11 April 2019
- Vellucci, Justin (15 September 2017), "The Popdose Interview: Black Wine", Popdose, retrieved 11 April 2019