For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library
|For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library|
|Publisher||The Library of American Comics|
Slice of life
|No. of issues||2 published of 9 planned|
|Main character(s)||Elly Patterson|
Farley the Dog
|Written by||Lynn Johnston|
For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library is the title of a book series which collects the complete run of the Canadian newspaper comic strip, For Better or For Worse created by Lynn Johnston, originally distributed in newspapers from 1979 until 2008 via the two syndicates Universal Press Syndicate and United Feature Syndicate at different times. Worldwide it was syndicated in over 2,000 newspapers with an estmated audience of 220 million readers.This archival collection is published by The Library of American Comics and íts first volume was released in November 2017.
Background[edit | edit source]
The series was first announced in March 2017 with a planned release date in October the same year. It was presented that the series would be comprised of nine volumes in total, three each per decade of the strip's orginal run. The books was to be made with the input from the creator, Lynn Johnston, while being edited by Dean Mullaney, Kurtis Findlay and Lorraine Turner at LoAC. This For Better or For Worse complete series became the first non-American comic strip title to get a own collection in The Library of American Comics' line of publications. In November 2017 the first volume was finally released. 
The author Lynn Johnston was thrilled to have her life's work reproduced by The Library of American Comics since she considered it a great honor to be one of the few selected for this sort of treatment. The people behind The Library of American Comics felt priviliged as well and thought it to be a very existing project, preserving this modern comic strip classic for the future.
Format[edit | edit source]
The volumes of this series measure 11 inches × 8.5 inches, (280 mm × 216 mm), oriented in landscape view and are hardcover. The daily strips are reproduced in black-and-white and the Sunday pages in full color, both arranged in consecutive chronological order.
Kurtis Findlay assembled all the cartoons with help from Katie Hadway (daughter of Johnston as well as executive director of Lynn Johnston Productions) and Stephanie Vandoleweerd, web designer and archivist. Findlay also wrote introductions and had the role as a overseer of the project. Since this edition is a "Complete Library", a lot of material that had been neglected or discarded from previous trade paperback collections have in this series been included. Notes to the plots have been added to the margins by the creator, taking up reader reactions, own insights, even occasional regrets. The paper stock is of thick good quality.
The comic strips's original run ended in 2008, however, Johnston continued to update some of the older strips and also created a number of new strips in order to expand upon some storylines and character development, as well as fixing older continuity faults. After 2010 she felt she had accomplished this and stopped adding new additions to the strip once for all. However she still to this day (2018) fixes minor flaws, like updating cultural references for the strips that are in reruns, e.g. changing a SNES controller to a contemporary equivalent, and adjusting the retail price of coffe. All the significant changes will be included in the volumes of this series.
The MSRP of each volume is set at $39,99.
Volumes[edit | edit source]
|Volume||Release date||Title||Period||Page count||ISBN|
|1||2017-11-14||“For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library - Vol. 1”||1979–1982||544||978-1-63140-982-0|
|2||2018-07-31||“For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library - Vol. 2”||1983–1986||544||978-1-68405-256-1|
|3||2019-07-01||“For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library - Vol. 3”||1986–1989||544||978-1-68405-426-8|
|4||2020-01-14||"For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library - Vol. 4"||1989–1993||544||978-1-68405-585-2|
References[edit | edit source]
- "Book Review: For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library, Volume One (1979-1982) - Cinema Sentries". cinemasentries.com.
- https://boingboing.net/2018/03/15/syndicated-strip-or-graphic-no.html Retrieved 2019-05-12
- Johanna (22 March 2017). "IDW Collecting For Better or For Worse in Library Editions".
- "Lynn Johnston's FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE: THE COMPLETE LIBRARY Coming to IDW". Newsarama.
- "Review: For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library canonizes Lynn Johnston's groundbreaking strip" – via The Globe and Mail.
- "First volume of complete FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE library is released". www.comiclist.com.
- "I Did Some Funny Stuff: An Interview with Lynn Johnston, Creator of FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE". 19 January 2018.
- "Westfield Comics Blog » For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library".
- http://cinemasentries.com/review/book-revew-for-better-or-for-worse-the-complete-library-volume-two-1982-1986-by-lynn-johnston/ Retrieved 2019-04-29
- Staff (22 March 2017). "For Better Or For Worse – IDW To Publish Nine Volume Library Edition Starting This Autumn".
[edit | edit source]
- Publisher website - IDW Publishing - The Library of American Comics - For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library
- The Library of American Comics' YouTube channel - Inside look: For Better or For Worse - Vol. 1
- The Library of American Comics' YouTube channel - Unboxing "For Better or For Worse, Vol. 1: 1979 - 1982" with Lynn Johnston, creator & Kurtis Findlay, The Library of American Comics
Category:The Library of American Comics publications Category:Comic strip collection books Category:Canadian comic strips Category:1979 comics debuts Category:2008 comics endings Category:Ontario in fiction Category:Comics about married people Category:Gag-a-day comics Category:Slice of life comics Category:Comedy-drama comics Category:LGBT-related comic strips
This article "For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.