Foreigner.fi is an English language daily online newspaper in Finland providing news, practical info and debate space for all foreigners in Finland.
History and profile
Foreigner.fi was conceived in Autumn 2018. The Spanish journalist César Calvar developed the concept of a website to inform, educate and highlight the needs of immigrants, expats and foreign workers in Finland.
The primary aim of the site was to inform immigrants and foreigners of news, events and legal issues of importance to them.
In Finland, the language often becomes an obstacle for foreigners to access to local news and to the basic information needed in order to regularize their situation and settle, find jobs or start their own businesses. Official information was sometimes too fragmented in different websites, not updated or in sources of difficult access for people who don’t know the country and its institutions. The aim was to fill this niche with a reliable source of information made by foreigners for foreigners.
In November 2018, Calvar contacted Jukka Autio, a Finnish lawyer expert in immigration and human rights issues. Discussions took place regarding close cooperation, focused on the establishment of a Legal Consulting Room to allow foreigners to send their doubts and questions related to legal issues. There was agreement on this and the legal consulting service was included in the project.
The journal was launched on 3 December 2018. The first full month of publication already resulted in 120,000 pageviews.
This early success was accentuated by the publication of daily news, information about legal changes concerning immigrants and also weekly online Finnish course. This showed the growing need for this type of content for the immigrant population.
In order to keep people’s interest in the site, the journal was expanded to include more information about the Finnish lifestyle, tourism, crime and events. Also, a guide for entrepreneurs was created to explain the basics of the Finnish business environment.
During the following months, the project attracted the attention of several foreign journalists living in Finland and abroad who were interested in collaborating. Some of them have been publishing some articles in order to contribute to develop it.
During its first year on air, the website posted more than 1,000 articles of interest for foreigners in Finland, people who are interested in migrating to Finland and also Finland’s enthusiasts all over the world. Some of those articles have been published in Arabic.
Nowadays, 2/3 of the visitors to the journal live in Finland, and 1/3 abroad, highlighting the fact that there is a growing interest from would be immigrants, tourists and businesses in Finland, its lifestyle, culture and business environment. The official Facebook page is updated several times per day and has over 5 000 Likes.
List of newspapers in Finland
- "Opennemas da la Bienvenida a Foreigner.Fi" (in Spanish). December 26, 2018.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Expat in Finland". theelephantmum.
- "Trafficking of children and young people in Finland". heuni.fi. 2019.
- "Social Democracy for who?". October 26, 2019.
- Pikkarainen, Aleksanteri (21 November 2019). "'Odotettavissa latinottarien vyöry Suomeen? Naistenlehti lupailee outojen kuvien voimalla kymppitonnia suomalaismiehen kanssa tehdystä vauvasta'". Iltalehti (in Finnish).CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Onali, Alma (29 March 2020). "'Espanjan suurlähettiläs varoittaa Suomessa asuvia espanjalaisia vaikeudesta päästä sairaalaan, Kelan mukaan kaikkia kohdellaan samanarvoisesti'". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish).CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Kol lietuviai gaudo kelių erelius, suomiai baus už važiavimą per lėtai". Lrytas (in Lithuanian). 24 February 2020.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Official Facebook Page Foreigner.fi Official Facebook Page. Retrieved on 28. March 2020.
This article "Foreigner.fi" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Foreigner.fi. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.