Francisco J. Ricardo
|Francisco J. Ricardo|
Media theorist, filmmaker
|Editor of International Texts in Critical Media Aesthetics, director of F for Franco|
Francisco J. Ricardo is an electronic media theorist and a film producer. He edited The Engagement Aesthetic, a book in the series, International Texts in Critical Media Aesthetics, published in 2013. He is known for his film F for Franco.
Education and career
Ricardo studied at Harvard University, receiving an Ed.M. He later received a PhD in Humanities Computing conferred through the University Professors Program of Boston University.[not in citation given] At Boston University, he worked as a Research Associate. Ricardo was a Lecturer in art theory at the Rhode Island School of Design.[when?]. As Urzula Pawlicka writes of Ricardo's work: "In the book "Literary Art in Digital Performance" Ricardo and Simanowski examine the relationship of images and text that result in "the aesthetic experience of what it generates in electronic literature." Pawlicka, Urszula (2014).  Ricardo left teaching and formed a film studio, Conceptualist Films, in 2014. His documentary, F for Franco, examined the process of acting and the effects of Hollywood film and celebrity on coming-of-age identity formation as symbolized through the art and performance works of the actor/artist James Franco. Franco, who was once Ricardo's student, had a wide body of his own experimental art and film work, which is explored in the film. F for Franco premiered at the Hollywood Film Festival in 2015 and was reviewed by The Hollywood Reporter.
Books and publications
- Ricardo, Francisco J. (2013). The Engagement Aesthetic: Experiencing New Media Art through Critique. Bloomsbury Publishing USA.
- Ricardo, Francisco (2010). The Object-Image. In ASPECT, Volume 15: Influence and Reference, Boston, MA
- Ricardo, Francisco J., ed. (2009). Literary Art in Digital Performance: Case Studies in New Media Art and Criticism. Bloomsbury Academic.
- Ricardo, Francisco J., ed. (2009). Cyberculture and New Media. Amsterdam: Rodopi Press.
- Ricardo, Francisco J. (2008). Spirited Gestures, Rational Views. In M. Jahn, C. Hopkins, B. Golonu (Eds.), (2009) Recipes for an Encounter. Vancouver, Canada: Western Front.
- Bloomsbury.com. "Bloomsbury - International Texts in Critical Media Aesthetics".
- "Bloomesbury – Authors=Bloomsbury.com".
- Linden, Sheri (November 20, 2014). "'F for Franco': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2020-07-19. Unknown parameter
- Pawlicke, Urzula (2014). https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/clcweb/vol16/iss5/2/. Missing or empty
This article "Francisco J. Ricardo" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Francisco J. Ricardo. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.