|Directed by||Scooter Downey|
Jon du Toit
|Produced by||Mike Cernovich|
|Screenplay by||Justin Gum|
|Music by||Stephen Limbaugh|
|Edited by||Scooter Downey|
Jon du Toit
El Ride Productions
Search Hoaxed on Amazon.
Hoaxed: Everything They Told Us Was a Lie, also known simply as Hoaxed, is a 2019 independent documentary, produced by Mike Cernovich and directed by Scooter Downey and Jon du Toit, exploring the consequences of "Fake News" and media bias in the United States, particularly during and after the 2016 presidential election. It stars Cernovich, Alex Jones, Scott Adams, Jordan Peterson, Cassie Jaye, and James O'Keefe.
Hoaxed includes over 35 interviews from a variety of individuals, including journalists and political commentators. It offers commentary on the media's coverage of Pizzagate, the Charlottesville Rally, and the 2017 Congressional baseball game shooting.
- Mike Cernovich, American journalist, filmmaker, and author
- Alex Jones, American radio personality and founder of Infowars
- Jordan Peterson, Canadian psychologist and Professor at the University of Toronto
- Scott Adams, American nonfiction author and creator of Dilbert
- James O'Keefe, American investigative reporter and Founder of Project Veritas
- Anthony Scaramucci, American entrepreneur and former White House Director of Communications
- Stefan Molyneux, Irish-Canadian podcaster & YouTuber
- Tim Pool, American journalist, YouTuber and political commentator
- Lauren Southern, Canadian political activist and former Libertarian Party of Canada candidate
- Cassie Jaye, American feminist film director and creator of The Red Pill
- Ryan Holiday, author of The Obstacle Is the Way, Ego Is the Enemy, Trust Me, I'm Lying
The film was produced by American journalist and filmmaker Mike Cernovich and directed by Scooter Downey and John du Toit. It raised $163,007 from 1,702 backers on crowdfunding portal Kickstarter in July 2017. The score for Hoaxed was written by independent twin music act Milk N Cooks, while folk musician Josh Hanson is credited with producing a track included in the film.
Prior to its release, the film was marketed as Hoaxed: The Media's War on the Truth. The official trailer for Hoaxed premiered in January 2018 in Manhattan at "A Night For Freedom", a gala organised by Cernovich. Writer Andrew Marantz, who attended the event, described the trailer as having "glitchy" effects and an "ominous synthesized score in the style of The Matrix". In September 2018, an early version of Hoaxed was screened to attendees of a gathering in St. Louis, Missouri that was "attended predominantly by Republican white supremacists, conspiracy theorists, and European neofascists". Another early screening was held in December 2018 at the Washington Plaza Hotel, along with a meet-and-greet with Cernovich.
In March 2020, Hoaxed was released on Amazon Prime Video, but it was removed by Amazon the following month.
Writing for the Washington Examiner, Paul Bedard called the film "a visual broadside on the hypocrisy seen often in liberal media". Deborah Franklin in her review for the American Thinker argued that the success of Hoaxed was "another sign of the public’s growing disillusionment with the media". The Human Events reviewer Will Chamberlain saw the film as a "meta-exercise" in "framing", offering that "Cernovich, a master rhetorician himself, has set and used frames to control the way we view him personally."
- Holt, Kristoffer (2019). Right-Wing Alternative Media. Routledge Focus on Communication and Society. Routledge. p. 60. ISBN 9780429846472 – via Google Books. Search this book on
- Chamberlain, Will (May 13, 2019). "Film Review: 'Hoaxed'". Human Events.
- "Hoaxed". Kickstarter. Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- McDermott, John (August 11, 2019). "How 2 Midwestern College Kids Became Trumpworld's Favorite DJs". Politico.
- Gilmour, David (January 23, 2019). "Why Culttture came to the defense of the MAGA teens—and what it has planned next". Daily Dot.
- Marantz, Andrew (2019). Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation. p. 356. ISBN 9780525522270. Search this book on
- O'Connor, Brendan (September 17, 2018). "Davos For Fascists". The Nation.
- "Hoaxed Movie Official DC Screening & Party". Washington Plaza Hotel. Retrieved April 21, 2020.
- Bedard, Paul (November 23, 2018). "Mike Cernovich's 'Hoaxed' rips liberal media hypocrisy". Washington Examiner.
- Franklin, Deborah (April 18, 2020). "Q Praises Shocking Out of Shadows Documentary and Millions Watch it". American Thinker.
- "The top 10 movies on the iTunes Store". Associated Press News. The Associated Press. April 14, 2020. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- "The top 10 movies on the iTunes Store". Associated Press News. The Associated Press. April 21, 2020. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
This article "Hoaxed" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Hoaxed. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.