Houston-Texas football rivalry
|First meeting||October 3, 1953|
Texas 28, Houston 7
|Latest meeting||September 21, 2002|
Texas 41, Houston 11
|All-time series||Texas leads, 16–7–2|
|Largest victory||Houston, 66–15 (1988)|
|Longest win streak||Texas, 7 (1992–present)|
|Current win streak||Texas, 7 (1992–present)|
The Houston–Texas football rivalry was an American college football rivalry between the University of Houston Cougars and the University of Texas Longhorns. The two schools were historically the two largest Texas public universities in the 1960s and 1970s. The rivalry became dormant after the breakup of the Southwest Conference and the two schools’ relocation to different conferences. Texas currently leads the series 16–7–2.
The two schools first met in 1953 in Austin, Texas. The Cougars’ live mascot, Shasta I, lost a toe in a cage door on the way to the game and the Longhorn fans reportedly mocked their opponents’ mascot by holding their hands down with the ring finger bent inwards under the thumb. Texas won the game 28–7. Fifteen years later, in the schools’ second meeting, the No. 11 Cougars held the No. 4 ranked Longhorns to a 20–20 tie, having adopted the Texas fans’ mocking hand gesture as an official hand sign, with the hand held upwards. The next meeting between the two schools came in 1976, eight years later, when the Cougars played their first season in the Southwest Conference. The No. 19 ranked Cougars shut out the No. 20 ranked Longhorns in front of the Longhorns’ 77,809 fans, the largest crowd in Memorial Stadium attendance at the time, 30–0. It would be legendary coach Darrell Royal's last season at the helm of the Longhorns coaching staff. The rivalry largely ended after the Longhorns joined the Big 12 Conference in 1996 and the Cougars joined Conference USA that same year. The two schools have not played since 2002.
Currently, both schools make up two of the three Texas universities with the highest enrollment.
There are no future games between the two schools scheduled at this time.
|Houston victories||Texas victories||Tie games|
- List of NCAA college football rivalry games
- "Texas Longhorns statistical handbook". University of Texas. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Houston Cougars institutional research". University of Houston. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Historical Enrollment Texas A&M University". Texas A&M University. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "UH Traditions". University of Houston. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Texas Longhorns vs Houston Cougars". Winsipedia. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Houston Cougars football all-time record". Winsipedia. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Texas Longhorns football all-time record". Winsipedia. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
This article "Houston-Texas football rivalry" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Houston-Texas football rivalry. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.