Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
Hurricane Florence (2018)
Per WP:CRYSTAL please do not publish this draft until Florence is likely to impact land.
Should an article need to be published immediately, please move this page into mainspace.
Hurricane Florence is an active tropical cyclone in the Atlantic ocean. The sixth named storm, third hurricane, and first major hurricane of the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season, Florence formed from a disorganized tropical wave off the coast of Senegal on August and initially threatened Cape Verde as a potential tropical cyclone. Florence rapidly intensified on September 5, becoming the first major hurricane of the season, and is currently moving northwest at 13 mph.
Current storm status
Category 4 hurricane (1-min mean)
|As of:||5:00 p.m. AST (21:00 UTC) September 5|
|Location:|| ± 10 nm|
About 1,160 mi (1,865 km) ENE of the N Lesser Antilles
About 1,375 mi (2,205 km) ESE of Bermuda
|Sustained winds:||115 kt (130 mph; 215 km/h) (1-min mean)|
gusting to 135 kt (160 mph; 250 km/h)
|Pressure:||953 mbar (hPa; 28.26 inHg)|
|Movement:||NW at 11 kt (13 mph; 20 km/h)|
On August 28, the NHC first mentioned the possibility of tropical cyclone formation from a tropical wave expected to exit western Africa. Two days later, the tropical wave moved off the coast of Senegal with disorganized thunderstorms, and a well-defined low-pressure area. Due to the system's threat to the Cape Verde islands, the NHC initiated advisories on Potential Tropical Cyclone Six at 15:00 UTC on August 30. The system organized into Tropical Depression Six at 21:00 UTC on August 31. Early on September 1, Tropical Depression Six strengthened into Tropical Storm Florence. Gradual intensification occurred as Florence continued west-northwestward across the central Atlantic, and at 15:00 UTC on September 4, it intensified into the third hurricane of the season. On September 5, Florence unexpectedly underwent rapid intensification into a Category 3 major hurricane. Rapid intensification continued and at 5:00 p.m. AST (21:00 UTC), Florence intensified into a Category 4 hurricane.
As of 11:00 a.m. AST (15:00 UTC) September 5, Hurricane Florence is located within 10 nautical miles of, about 1,160 miles (1,865 km) east-northeast of the northern Lesser Antilles and about 1,375 miles (2,205 km) east-southeast of Bermuda. Maximum sustained winds are 110 knots (125 mph; 205 km/h), with gusts to 135 knots (155 mph; 250 km/h). The minimum barometric pressure is 957 mbar (hPa; 28.26 inHg), and the system is moving northwest at 11 knots (13 mph; 20 km/h). Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 15 miles (30 km) from the center of Florence, while tropical storm-force winds extend outward up to 90 miles (150 km) from the center of Florence.
For latest official information, see:
- The NHC's latest public advisory on Hurricane Florence
- The NHC's latest forecast advisory on Hurricane Florence
- The NHC's latest forecast discussion on Hurricane Florence
Watches and warnings
Preparations and impact
- Robbie Berg (August 28, 2018). "Tropical Weather Outlook" (TXT). National Hurricane Center. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Robbie Berg (August 30, 2018). "Tropical Weather Outlook" (TXT). National Hurricane Center. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Lixion Avila (August 30, 2018). "Tropical Weather Outlook" (TXT). National Hurricane Center. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Lixion Avila (August 30, 2018). "Potential Tropical Cyclone Six Discussion Number 1". National Hurricane Center. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Lixion Avila (August 31, 2018). "Tropical Depression Six Discussion Number 4". National Hurricane Center. Retrieved August 31, 2018.
- Robbie Berg (September 4, 2018). "Hurricane Florence Discussion Number 21". National Hurricane Center.
- Berg, Robbie (2018-09-05). "Hurricane Florence Discussion Number 25".
- "Hurricane FLORENCE". www.nhc.noaa.gov. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
Others articles of the Topic Tropical cyclones : Cyclone Maha, 2018 Pacific typhoon season, List of nicknamed tropical cyclones, Tropical Depression Ten (2005), Hurricane Karen (2007), Hurricane Norman (2018)
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
This article "Hurricane Florence (2018)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Hurricane Florence (2018). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.