Is Genesis History?
|Is Genesis History?|
File:Is Genesis History film poster.jpg|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Produced by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Written by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Box office||$2.6 million|
Is Genesis History? is a 2017 American Christian film that promotes "creation science", a pseudoscientific form of religious creationism. The film makes assumptions that are generally rejected by the scientific community. It was written, directed and produced by Thomas Purifoy Jr. It was released to 704 theaters on February 23, 2017.
Purifoy claims to have been inspired to make the film after his daughter began asking him questions about the creation–evolution controversy after watching a debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham on February 4, 2014.
Synopsis and cast[edit | edit source]
Del Tackett, the creator of Focus on the Family's "The Truth Project", narrates the film. Interviewing thirteen "creation scientists", the narrator of the film argues that Genesis portrays real historical events. Other speakers include George Grant, Paul Nelson, Marcus R. Ross, Andrew A. Snelling, and Kurt Wise, as well as Larry Vardiman in the film's bonus features.
Release and box office[edit | edit source]
Is Genesis History? was released into American theaters on February 23, 2017. It was shown in 704 theaters and grossed $1,796,182 in one night According to Variety the one-night showing took in $2.7 million. Over 143,000 people saw the film that night, and its box office earnings were the highest of any film in theaters in the United States that night. Due to its commercial success, the film was shown again in theaters on March 2 and 7, 2017 in the United States, as well as in Canada on March 14, 2017. The film went on to earn a total box office of $2,570,355, after the encore showings. The film was re-released in over 850 theaters for an anniversary showing on February 22, 2018, with a bonus scene of Wheaton College students touring the Ark Encounter.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Is Genesis History? at Box Office Mojo
- "Is Genesis History? (2017)". The Numbers. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Ruse, Michael (1982). "Creation Science Is Not Science" (PDF). Science, Technology, & Human Values. 7 (40): 72–78.
- Sarkar & Pfeifer 2006, p. 194
- "IAP Statement on the Teaching of Evolution". Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Storm, Christie (February 18, 2017). "Daughter's Queries Prompted Genesis Film". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- Law, Jeannie (February 16, 2017). "Evidence of Young Earth Creationism Will Debunk Current Scientific Paradigm, Filmmaker Says". The Christian Post. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- Fraser, Trevor (February 16, 2017). "Movie Musings: Genesis, Leon Russell and More". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- Tomlin, Gregory (November 29, 2016). "Is Genesis History? Film Aims to Answer Questions of Creation, Evolution, Global Flood". Christian Examiner. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- McNary, Dave. "Fathom Events Sees Soaring 2017 Performance". Variety (magazine). Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Guerrasio, Jason (April 5, 2017). "How religious movies are thriving more than ever before under Trump". Business Insider. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- Law, Jeannie (March 4, 2017). "'Is Genesis History?' Film on Young Earth Creationism Returns to Theaters for Encore Screening". The Christian Post. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Is Genesis History? Fathom Event Hits #1 In Box Office, Returns to Theaters March 2nd and 7th". AMFM Magazine. February 27, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- Showalter, Brandon (February 21, 2018). "Young Earth Creationist, Wheaton College Students Speak at 1-Y Anniv. Release of 'Is Genesis History?'". The Christian Post. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Is Genesis History?" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Is Genesis History?/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.