Winemaker, wine consultant, entrepreneur
|📆 Years active||1986 - present|
|Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir|
|Notable work||Pahlmeyer Wines|
Pahlmeyer was born and raised in Oakland, California. He was a former trial lawyer and started growing grapes with John Caldwell in Napa in 1981. Caldwell and Pahlmeyer were the owners of a 55-acre farm in south-east Napa Valley and they started working on planting a vineyard there. They decided to plant French Bordeaux clones and worked with viticultural professors at the University of Bordeaux to analyze soil samples and other data from the 55 acre farm.
Caldwell smuggled the “suitcase clones” from Bordeaux to the country through Canada and they were later caught by the authorities but managed to keep the French clones and subsequently planted them.
In 1986, Pahlmeyer produced the first vintage, the Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red, with winemaker Randy Dunn and immediately sold every bottle made. Three years later, Bob Levy began making the wines and Pahlmeyer sold the first vintages of Pahlmeyer Chardonnay. Later, Pahlmeyer worked with Helen Turley to develop the Pahlmeyer estate into the vineyards at Waters Ranch where Pahlmeyer planted red Bordeaux varieties and Chardonnay.
In 1998, Turley helped Pahlmeyer find an organic farm that was available for sale on the Sonoma Coast. Pahlmeyer created Wayfarer Vineyards with the help of David Abreu, planting Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The Sonoma Coast property became the source for his company’s Chardonnay and Pinot Noir wines under the Wayfarer label.
- "Pahlmeyer | The story of Jayson Pahlmeyer and how it all began". www.pahlmeyer.com. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Jayson Pahlmeyer - Food and Wine Trails". Food & Wine Trails. Retrieved 26 December 2019. Unknown parameter
- "Impact Napa 2012: Jayson Pahlmeyer and Brian Hilliard, Pahlmeyer Wines". The North Bay Business Journal. 2012-08-27. Retrieved 2019-12-26.
- "In Napa, things are getting nasty". Los Angeles Times. 2002-10-30. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Prial, Frank J. (1999-08-25). "WINE TALK; The 'Do It Yourself' Winery". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Mercer, Chris (2019-11-20). "Gallo buys prized Napa Valley winery Pahlmeyer". Decanter. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Journal, Sheila MutoStaff Reporter of The Wall Street (1998-09-30). "Vineyard Owners Clash Over Expansion in Napa". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Masumoto, David Mas (2002-11-20). "The Grape Divide". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Pahlmeyer Napa Valley California, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay Wine". The Wine Cellar Insider. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Grape Collective Christopher Barnes John Caldwell: The Smuggler - Grapecollective.com". grapecollective.com. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Journal, Quentin HardyStaff Reporter of The Wall Street (1997-04-07). "U.S. Vintners Target High End In Bid to Beat French Wines". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "2014 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red Napa Valley California USA Wine Review Tasting Note". The Wine Cellar Insider. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- brecher, by dorothy j gaiter and john (2009-09-12). "U.S. Chardonnay Has No Bargain Bin". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "California Winemaking Guru Helen Turley Departs Pahlmeyer". Wine Spectator. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Pahlmeyer Winery names daughter president". The North Bay Business Journal. 2017-04-19. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Asimov, Eric (2017-02-16). "Sonoma Coast Pinot Noirs Blur the Boundary Lines". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Prial, Frank J. (1994-12-18). "NOTICED; What Was That Wine In 'Disclosure'?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Gallo buys renowned Napa Valley winery Pahlmeyer". SFChronicle.com. 2019-11-20. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Swords, Natasha. "Pahlmeyer Adds The Jayson Sauvignon Blanc". Bonfort's. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Kasabian, Paul. "Former NBA Star Dwyane Wade Reaches Multiyear Contract with WarnerMedia". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Siegel, Emily. "Why Dwyane Wade Launched His Own Wine Label". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Pahlmeyer: How to Remain World-Class While Retiring to Hawaii - Grapecollective.com". grapecollective.com. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
This article "Jayson Pahlmeyer" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Jayson Pahlmeyer. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.