Jesse Ragan is an American typeface and lettering designer. Ragan has contributed to the design of the typefaces Archer, Gotham, Mercury, Omnes, and Smirnoff. He has worked with the Hoefler & Frere-Jones foundry and Joshua Darden Studio.
Ragan graduated from Rhode Island School of Design in 2001.
After graduating college in 2001, he began working for Hoefler & Frere-Jones. Ragan works on different typefaces ranging from formal to fanciful designs. He mainly focuses on the quality of his work. Since 2005, Ragan has worked independently in Brooklyn. He is currently the part-time principal instructor at the Type@Cooper program in New York City.Type@Cooper is a typeface design certificate program that he co-founded in 2010. When he has the time, Ragan also gives public lectures on his work as a designer and a teacher.
- Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Darden Studio
- Employee Number 1
- Font Bureau
- Fortune Magazine
- HarperCollins Publishers
- House Industries
- Mucca Design
- New York Magazine
- New York Public Library
- Nomad Editions
- The Original Champions of Design
- Paul Shaw Letter Design
- Random House
- TBWA Chiat Day
- TIO Agency
- USA TODAY
- V Magazine
- Wolff Olins
- Workman Publishing
Honors and awards
- Typography Annual, Communication Arts, competition judge 2013
- Communication Design, Type Directors Club. St. Bart‘s identity 2012.
- Brand New Awards 2011, UnderConsideration. Best in Show & Judge‘s Pick. St. Bart‘s identity 2012.
- Permanent collection, Museum of Modern Art. Gotham & Mercury 2011.
- “Our Favorite Typefaces of 2008,” Typographica. Archer 2009.
- “Our Favorite Typefaces of 2006,” Typographica. Omnes 2007.
- American Institute of Graphic Arts. Archer 2003.
- Association Typographique Internationale. Gotham 2001.
- Audio interview with Dan Balser for Don’t Get Me Started podcast, episode 142. December 2012.
- “What‘s in Your Toolbox: Jesse Ragan,” interview with Ginny Branch Stelling for Design*Sponge blog. November 2012.
- “Beautiful Bitmaps” (project contributor), Uppercase magazine, issue 15. October 2012.
- “Talking Typeface with Jesse Ragan,” interview with TIO Agency Intelligencer blog. July 2012.
- Typography Sketchbooks (featured designer), edited by Steven Heller and Lita Talarico. Thames & Hudson 2011.
- “Font Day: Interview With Jesse Ragan” video, Grace Bonney for Design*Sponge blog. October 2010.
- “Rudolph Ruzicka‘s g,” Grafik magazine guest column. April 2010.
- Archer with Tobias Frere-Jones and Jonathan Hoefler, 2001
- Gotham with Tobias Frere-Jones and Jonathan Hoefler, 2000
- Mercury with Tobias Frere-Jones and Jonathan Hoefler, 1997
- Smirnoff with Tobias Frere-Jones and Jonathan Hoefler, 2003
- Type Directors Club website citing Jesse Ragan
- Macmillan, Neil. An A-Z of Type Designers. Yale University Press: 2006. ISBN 0-300-11151-7 Search this book on ..
- "Jesse Ragan / About". Jesse Ragan. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
|This biographical article about a graphic designer is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This typography-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Jesse Ragan" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Jesse Ragan. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.