John James (businessman)
|John E. James|
|Born||1981 (age 37–38)|
|Education||B.S. West Point|
M.S. Penn State University
M.B.A. University of Michigan
|Known for||President of James Group International|
Biography[edit | edit source]
James was born and raised in an African American family in Michigan, the son of Sharon and John A. James, a Vietnam War veteran. Both his parents are Democrats. In 1999, he graduated from Brother Rice High School where he played football. In 2004, James graduated from West Point. In 2007, he was deployed to Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom where as a Ranger-qualified, Army captain and platoon leader, he flew Apache helicopters earning a Combat Action Badge and two Air Medals logging over 744 flight hours. He served in the Army for eight years. In 2012, he joined the family business, James Group International, founded by his father; in 2014, he became president and also serves as CEO of subsidiary Renaissance Global Logistics. Since 2012, the revenues of the business have grown from $35 million to $137 million, adding 100 jobs.
In 2014, he earned an M.S. in Supply Chain Management and Information Systems from Penn State University and in 2015, an M.B.A. from the University of Michigan. In 2017, he was appointed by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder to the Michigan Council on Future Mobility.
In September 2017, James announced his candidacy for the United States Senate seat in Michigan held by U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow up for contest in 2018. He is running as a "conservative outsider.
Positions[edit | edit source]
James supports President Donald Trump and believes that "we're trending in the right direction." James believes that there are not "enough combat veterans in government who understand the consequences of failed policies" and that Michigan needs "somebody who understands economic opportunity and someone who's actually created jobs." He is for securing the borders and supports the Right to Life movement. He states that he is "pro-life, pro-Second Amendment, and pro-business."
Endorsements[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Senators
- U.S. Representatives
- Former U.S. Military Personnel
- Robert O'Neill, former U.S. Navy SEAL
- Allen West, retired U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel and former U.S. Representative (R-FL-22)
- Notable Figures
- Robert P. Young Jr., former Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court
- John R. Bolton, former United States Ambassador to the United Nations, current National Security Advisor
- Dean Cain, actor
- Local Officials
- L. Brooks Patterson, Executive of Oakland County
- Senate Conservatives Fund
- American Conservative Union
- Right to Life of Michigan
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Michigan
Personal life[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- I'm Running | John James for U.S. Senate April 8, 2018
- Detroit Public TV: "Mackinac Moment: John E. James, VP Operations, James Group International, shares the leadership lessons learned through military service" June 3, 2014
References[edit | edit source]
- Oosting, Jonathan (July 18, 2017). "Businessman, vet John James files for U.S. Senate". The Detroit News.
- Drucker, David M. (November 18, 2017). "John James rises in Michigan Senate race after Fred Upton's exit". Washington Examiner.
- "Renk's Interview With Candidate For the U.S. Senate, John James". WCBK. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Livengood, Chad (June 7, 2017). "Detroit businessman John James courted for U.S. Senate run". Crains Detroit Business.
- "Iraq War veteran explains why he's running for Senate". Fox News. October 29, 2017. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- Zito, Salena (October 25, 2017). "John James Could Be the Future Republicans Have Been Waiting for". Real Clear Politics.
- Eggert, David (September 21, 2017). "Iraq War Vet, Businessman James Seeks Michigan Senate Seat". U.S. News & World Report.
- "U.S. Senate candidate John James to speak". Grosse Pointe News. April 11, 2018.
- "Meet John". John James for Senate website. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- McKinney, Jeffrey (June 7, 2017). "Is This BE 100s Executive Michigan's Next Republican Senator?". Black Enterprise. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Gov. Rick Snyder makes appointments to Michigan Council on Future Mobility". Michigan.gov. February 27, 2017. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Detroit businessman John James announces run for U.S. Senate". Crains Detroit Business. September 21, 2017.
- "Iraq War Vet And CEO Running for Senate in Michigan as 'Conservative Outsider'". Fox News. October 29, 2017.
- Burke, Melissa Nann (May 4, 2018). "Senate hopeful James' first ad shows Hellfire missile". Detroit News.
- Kennet, John (May 4, 2018). "U.S. Army vet James seeks U.S. Senate seat". Midland Daily News.
- "Day 76/100 - Marco Rubio endorses John James for Senate". John James for Senate. December 5, 2017.
- "Conservative Outsider John James Announces Endorsement of Florida Republican Senator Marco Rubio - John James for Senate". 5 December 2017.
- "Mike Bishop Endorses John James for Senate - John James for Senate". 20 November 2017.
- "Rep. Paul Mitchell Endorses John James for U.S. Senate - John James for Senate". 7 November 2017.
- Herndon, Dave (April 23, 2018). "Seal Team 6 member who shot Bin Laden campaigning for John James for Senate at Top Gun Shooting Sports". The News Herald.
- "Conservative Outsider John James Announces Endorsement of American Hero Robert O'Neill - John James for Senate". 8 November 2017.
- West, Allen (October 27, 2017). "I wholeheartedly endorse John James for U.S. Senate in Michigan". Allen B. West website.
- Oosting, Jonathan (February 11, 2017). "Michigan Democrats promise 'fight' at record convention". The Detroit News. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- Delk, Josh (March 27, 2018). "John Bolton endorses Army veteran in Senate race". The Hill.
- Bunker, Theodore (March 27, 2018). "John Bolton Endorses Army Vet Running for Senate in Michigan". Newsmax.
- "Dean Cain on Twitter".
- Cavitt, Mark (May 1, 2018). "Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson endorses U.S. Senate candidate John James". Oakland Press.
- "John James for Senate in Michigan". Senate Conservatives Fund. January 30, 2018.
- "ACU Endorses John James". American Conservative Union. March 22, 2018.
- "John James Emerges as Sole Conservative to take on Sen. Debbie Stabenow - John James for Senate". 25 April 2018.
- "James Raises $1.17 Million, Quadruples Grassroots Fundraising Base during Q1 - John James for Senate". 11 April 2018.
This article "John James (businessman)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage John James (businessman)/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.