Joobin Bekhrad (Persian: ژوبین بخرد) is an award-winning writer. In addition to having authored numerous books, he is the founder and editor of the arts and culture publication Reorient, and has contributed to a host of other renowned publications. His writings, which have been republished in a variety of languages, tend to focus on Iranian culture and the experience of living in the Iranian diaspora.
Born in Tehran and raised in Toronto, Bekhrad holds degrees from the Schulich School of Business (York University) and the Cass Business School (City University London). In 2015, he was granted an International Award for Art Criticism from London’s Royal College of Art.
Bekhrad’s writings have appeared in and on a number of prominent publications and news websites, such as The New York Times, The Economist, The Guardian, Forbes,, The Independent, The Financial Times, Monocle, and the BBC. He has also contributed to academic journals (e.g. The Cairo Review of Global Affairs and Anthropology of the Middle East), encyclopaedias (e.g. Encyclopaedia Iranica), and contemporary art magazines (e.g. Frieze, Aesthetica, and ArtAsiaPacific). In 2016 he served as the Guest Editor of Columbia University’s Columbia Journal for its Election Feature.
Bekhrad has been interviewed by prestigious media outlets like PRI, the CBC, and Newsweek (which referred to him as a ‘leading figure in the art world’ in 2016), in addition to arts publications (e.g. The Art Newspaper), fashion magazines (e.g. l’Officiel Hommes), and fashion labels (e.g. Pull and Bear). He has also been the subject of articles in local Iranian newspapers (e.g. Ghanoon and Aftab), as well as an artwork in Sassan Behnam Bakhtiar’s Invincible series (2016).
Bekhrad’s books have garnered praise from luminaries such as Parviz Tanavoli, Tom Holland, and Simon Napier-Bell. Although varying in style and medium, they all have Iran at their core.
- Coming Down Again (fiction; Troubador, 2016)
- The Quatrains of Omar Khayyam (poetry; Balboa, 2017)
- Lovers of Light (poetry; Lulu, 2017)
- With My Head in the Clouds and Stars in My Eyes: Stories About Iran and Elsewhere (memoir; Troubador, 2017)
Texts in other books
- Ali Mobasser: Stamps of a Revolution (Ag Galerie, 2017)
- Sarah Maple: Not My Cup of Tea (New Art Exchange, 2017)
- Memory & Future/Future & Memory (Fondation Behnam Bakhtiar, 2016)
- Mahdi Ehsaei: Afro-Iran (Kehrer Verlag, 2015)
- "JOOBIN BEKHRAD : editor of REORIENT Magazine". THE TENTH DEGREE°. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "International Awards for Art Criticism Launch Second Edition". Royal College of Art. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Bekhrad, Joobin (2017-09-19). "The Least-Known Most Influential Man in Fashion". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- "Why wine is integral to Persian culture". The Economist. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Bekhrad, Joobin (2016-04-08). "On the shoulder of giants in southwest Iran – in pictures". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Flows, Capital. "What Exactly Is The 'Islamic' World?". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Marc Bolan – an overlooked fashion icon". The Independent. 2017-09-21. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- Bekhrad, Joobin (December 9, 2017). "A Prayer for Mecca". The Financial Times. Archived from the original on January 20, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- Bekhrad, Joobin (December 21, 2017). "By Royal Appointment" (PDF). Monocle. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 20, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- Bekhrad, Joobin. "The ancient 'Arabic Kama Sutra'". Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Tehran Bazaar". The Cairo Review of Global Affairs. 2014-07-16. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Slobin, Mark; Bekhrad, Joobin; Volm, Florian; Pourgiv, Farideh; Fox, Paul; Kuta, Weronika; Reinel, Birgit (2015-12-01). "Reports: Publications, Films, Conferences". Anthropology of the Middle East. 10 (2). doi:10.3167/ame.2015.100209.
- electricpulp.com. "IRANI, HUSHANG – Encyclopaedia Iranica". www.iranicaonline.org. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- "Shift". frieze.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Aesthetica Magazine - Preview: Iran, 1970 – Basilico Before Basilico". Aesthetica Magazine. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "(Politics) A Note from Joobin Bekhrad, Our Guest Editor - Columbia Journal". Columbia Journal. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Mr. Trump, lovers of Iran would like to thank you for helping our cause". Public Radio International. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Iranian-Canadians reflect on the impact of lifting economic sanctions in Iran". CBC Radio. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Leading Figures in the Art World Support Palestinian Artist Sentenced to Death for Apostasy". Newsweek. 2015-11-27. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Cornwell, Tim (February 1, 2017). "Art World Reels from Trump's Immigration Ban". The Art Newspaper.
- "L'Officiel-Hommes, March/April/May Issue 63". issuu. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- "Joobin by Sassan Behnam Bakhtiar". www.seditionart.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Testimonials". Joobin Bekhrad. 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "'Not My Cup Of Tea' Exhibition Catalogue". Sarah Maple. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "Fondation Behnam Bakhtiar". Fondation Behnam Bakhtiar. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- "Order 'Afro-Iran'". Mahdi Ehsaei (in Deutsch). Retrieved 2017-08-05.
This article "Joobin Bekhrad" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.