K N George
|K N George|
|Born||June 21, 1924|
|April 12, 2019April 12, 2019 (aged 94)(aged 94)|
|👩 Spouse(s)||Grace Kovoor (b. 1934)|
Karachepone Ninan George (21 June 1924 – 12 April 2019) was an Indian academician and social worker. He was born at Thuruthicadu (near Thiruvalla), Kerala state, India to K N Ninan, Sr and Achamma Ninan.
Early Life and Education
He had his early education at Thuruthicadu, St.John's High School, Eraviperoor, and Madurai Christian College, Madurai, India. Thereafter he obtained his bachelor's degree from the Madras Christian College (University of Madras) in 1950, Master's Degree in Social Work from Maharaja Sayajirao University, Baroda in 1952 and a Master of Science (Social Administration) degree from the Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA in 1959.
After completing his higher studies in Ohio, USA, K N George returned to India in 1953 and joined as a Lecturer in the newly established Madras School of Social Work, that was founded by Mary Clubwala Jadhav, a renowned .philanthropist. He became the Director of the Madras School of Social Work (MSSW) in 1957, a post that he held for five decades. He mobilised funds from both within and outside India to construct the new office, school and hostel buildings of the MSSW. He was associated with several other institutions and held positions including as Chairman, Swiss India Trust, Chennai; President, Christian Children's Fund Inc., Bangalore; President, Indian Council of Social Welfare (Tamil Nadu Chapter); President, Union Christian Association, Chennai; Advisor, Union Public Service Commission, Government of India; Associate Secretary, Central Social Welfare Board, New Delhi; Founder President, Institute of Sustainable Development, Chennai; Founder Secretary, Asian Regional Association of Social Work Educators (ARASWE); President, Association of Schools of Social Work in India; and Vice-President, International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW) during 1986–1990.
Awards and Recognition
He received several awards and honours: These include: Gold Medal for outstanding services in social work by Guild of Service (Central) in 1973; Best Teacher Award by Tamil Nadu State Government in 1981; Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini award by National Unity Council, New Delhi in 1999; Silver Jubilee Meritorious award by Centre for Rural and Education, Vellore in 2004; and Award for dedicated leadership in the area of social development in India by the Inter-University Consortium for International Social Development in 2004. He was nominated as a member of the Senate of the University of Madras for the period 1999-2002 by the Governor of Tamil Nadu. In 2015 he was conferred the Distinguished Alumnus Award in recognition of his outstanding services to Social Work Education and Social Work Profession by the Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA on the occasion of its 100th anniversary. The citation stated that the award was “ for his extraordinary professional service and achievements, including his passion for uplifting the rural poor, his instrumental role in raising the level of social work education in India, and his commitment to social welfare at the local, national and international levels….. George helped Madras School of Social Work to become one of the top social work schools in India.” In accepting the award Professor George recalled that after he completed his degree his professor Dr John Turner asked him “why go to India when there are excellent prospects for you here in the USA?”. George replied saying: “I’d rather be a lion in a small country than a lamb in a big country.”
- Higher Secondary and Vocational Education in Tamil Nadu, Tamil Nadu State Planning Commission, 1998.
- A Report on Children in Prostitution at Chennai, Central Social Welfare Board, New Delhi.
- Declining Sex Ratio and the Problem of Female Infanticide: A Study in Salem District, Tamil Nadu Department of Women and Child Development.
- Beggary in Madras City, Planning Commission, Government of India.
- Juvenile Delinquency in Madras, Ministry of Education, Government of India.
- Social Welfare in Slums in Madras City, Planning Commission, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Student Addiction to Drugs, Department of Social Welfare, Government of India.
- "Former MSSW director dead". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2019-04-13. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- "INSTITUTE OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT". www.isdindia.org. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- "Announcing Our 2015 Alumni Award Winners". Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences | Case Western Reserve University. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- https://case.edu/socialwork/sites/case.edu.socialwork/files/2018-09/Action-SpringSummer16-Final-PDF.pdf. "Action - The Magazine of the Mandel School".
This article "K N George" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:K N George. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.