Script error: No such module "Draft topics". Script error: No such module "AfC topic".
|Industry||Architecture, Master Planning, Urban Design, Interior Design, Project Management, Engineering|
|Founder 👔||Shaun Killa|
Area served 🗺️
Number of employees
Killa Design was established in 2015 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and specialises in the sectors of Architecture, Interior Design, Project Management, Engineering and Master Planning.
The studio’s most notable project to date is the Museum of the Future, an exhibition space for innovative and futuristic ideologies, services and products. Located in the heart of the Financial District in Dubai, UAE.
As of 2021, the studio has more than 100 employees from over 20 countries.
In 2015, Shaun Killa established Killa Design studio in Dubai, after 17 years as Design Director and Lead in Atkins, with former Atkins MD Allel Hadri as the studio’s managing director. Since its inception, the design studio has won multiple international competitions and was commissioned several notable and significant projects locally and internationally.
The studio’s first project was Museum of the Future (MOTF). Killa Design won the international competition to design the building located on Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, only a few weeks after the studio’s launch date. The building’s architecture was designed by Shaun Killa to represent the UAE’s Prime Minister’s vision of the Future. The Museum’s geometry and the design of its façade caught global attention reaching international news such as; CNN Travel and CNBC. The LEED platinum certified museum won multiple local and international awards and was recognized by Autodesk as “the most complex building in the world” by winning 1st place building category in AEC Excellence Awards in 2017.
Soon after the Museum of the Future’s award to Killa Design, the design studio was requested to participate in an international competition to design the 77-storey mixed-use twin towers, The Address Beach Resort. The 5-star hotel, which has a height of 301m, occupies a location at the end of the JBR district in Dubai. The project won CTBUH award of excellence in 2021 in best tall building category 300-399 meters. The Address project accommodates 190 hotel guestrooms, 478 residential apartments and 444 branded hotel apartments and is home to the highest infinity pool in the world, as recognised by Guinness World Records.
After winning these two major projects, and by the end of 2015, the design studio reached a workforce of 20 employees.
At the beginning of 2016, Killa Design won the commission to design and build the Office of the Future (OOTF). The project is the first fully functional and permanently occupied ‘3D printed’ building in the world. OOTF won multiple awards including a Guinness World Record as the world’s first 3D-Printed commercial building, INDEX Design Awards in 2017 and Innovation by Design Award in 2016.
In the same year, the studio was contacted to design Namaste Hotel, the First W hotel in India. The mixed used skyscraper of 384 keys with office and retail space was designed by Shaun Killa with Killa Design’s associate partner Benjamin Piper.
The tower’s design reflects the Indian welcoming gesture “Namaste” which can be seen in the building’s geometry, as well as the traditional Mehndi patterns used for celebrations which are incorporated onto the building’s façade.
By the end of the 2016, Killa Design’s company partnership was expanded to include Benjamin Piper, Sune Theil and Pratheesh Krishnan as Associate Partners. In 2019, Karsten Veith was promoted to Associate Partner and Head of Operations, and later in the beginning of 2021 promoted to the studio’s Managing Director.
Killa Design’s project portfolio includes Vida Hotel and Serviced Apartments, a 56-storey tower with 200 hotel keys and 30 serviced apartments in Dubai Marina; SRG Tower, a 111-storey residential apartment tower in Dubai and the first LEED Platinum certified super high-rise building in the GCC.
In 2020, Killa Design were commissioned to create a large-scale luxury resort project in Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea. The 73 key eco-resort is a development that is highly sustainable and completely off grid with zero emission and zero-energy, it is designed to use solely the renewable energy of the sun with a designated solar farm.
The design studio has produced multiple masterplans, townships and waterfronts, island developments and resorts. The office’s portfolio specialises in high-rise and mixed-use buildings, luxury hospitality, residential and housing projects, cultural institutes and buildings, urban design, masterplanning and waterfront developments, in addition to leading experience in retail, theatre, museum & transportation.
Museum of the Future (2015-2021)
Museum of the Future is a permanent home for the world’s greatest innovations and an exhibition space for innovative and futuristic ideologies, services and products. The project is located in the heart of Dubai’s Financial District and its architecture is comprised of three main elements: green hill, building, and void. The green hill represents the earth, with solidity, permanence, and rootedness in place, time and history. The form of the building represents mankind with all of its strength, artistry and ability to create, it emerges from the hill and is covered with the Arabic calligraphy about the future, which displays mankind’s passion for the arts and creating. Lastly, the elliptical void within the upper structure represents the unwritten future into which humanity, and the world can symbolically look towards.
The architecture of the museum was designed holistically through BIM at every stage of the project. The project caught global attention reaching international news such as; BBC, CNN Travel and CNBC, it also won multiple local and international awards and was recognized by Autodesk as the most complex building in the world by winning 1st place building category in AEC Excellence Awards in 2017.
The building achieves LEED Platinum status through its façade of 17,000m2 torus-shaped clad in stainless steel, The design is a low carbon civic building achieved by considering design innovations which include parametric design, passive solar architecture, low-energy and low-water engineering solutions, recovery strategies for both energy and water, and building integrated renewables. The 78-metre-high building accommodates 6 exhibition and 1 administration floor above a 3-storey podium and a F+B deck, with auditorium, retail, parking and services.
Address Beach Resort (2015-2020)
Address Beach Resort is a 77-storey twin tower of 310m height, designed by Killa Design. Two weeks after the commission of the Museum of the Future, the office was contacted to design the 5-star hotel which is located on a premium plot in Dubai’s JBR beach waterfront. The mixed-use tower has over 180 hotel guestrooms, 497 residential apartments and 497 branded hotel apartments and the highest infinity pool in the world with a built-up area of 242,000m2. The hotel's soft opening was in December 2020 and is currently open to public.
Office of the Future (2015-2016)
Office of the Future is the first fully functional and permanently occupied 3D Printed building in the world designed by Killa Design. The pavilion is a temporary home for the Dubai Future Foundation, an exhibition space and incubator for future emerging technologies in the region. The entire structure was printed in concrete using an additive manufacturing technique. The construction of the 250 square meter building primarily used a massive 3-D cement printer measuring in a process that spanned over 17 days, while its assembly only took two days. The printing process reduced the number of labor by more than 50% relative to conventional building construction and assembly. The project has won multiple awards including a Guinness World Record as the world’s first 3D-Printed commercial building, INDEX Design Awards 2017 (Best Commercial Design Project Private Space), Innovation by Design Award 2016 and many others.
List of Projects
List of Killa Design projects in chronological order;
- Museum of the Future - Cultural, Designed by Killa Design, Engineering by Buro Happold, Dubai, UAE.
- Address Beach Resort - Hospitality/ High Rise, Designed by Killa Design, Engineering by WSP, Dubai, UAE.
- Sheybarah - Ultra-Luxury Hospitality, Red Sea, KSA.
- Vida Dubai Marina & Yacht club - Mixed-use/ Hospitality, Designed by Killa Design, Structural Engineering by Ramboll, Dubai, UAE.
- Marsa Al Arab Hotel - Hospitality, Dubai, UAE.
- Marsa Al Arab Quay Villas - Residential, Design & Structural Engineering by Killa Design, Dubai, UAE.
- Namaste Hotel - Hospitality, Mumbai, India.
- Office of the Future - Cultural, Dubai, UAE.
- Resort Masterplan- Masterplanning, Red Sea, KSA.
- Boutique Resort - Hospitality, Oman, UAE.
- SRG Tower - Residential/High Rise, Design & Structural Engineering by Killa Design, Dubai, UAE.
- Aykon Tower - Hospitality/High Rise, Dubai, UAE.
- Sinuoso - Residential, Dubai, UAE.
- Science Museum - Cultural, UAE.
- Private Art Gallery - Cultural, UAE.
- Opera House - Cultural, Riyadh, KSA.
- Waterfront Masterplan - Masterplanning, UAE.
- City Walk - Residential/ Mixed-use, Dubai, UAE.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel - Hospitality, Dubai, UAE.
- Creek Harbour Island - Dubai, UAE.
- Omniyat Tower - Hospitality/High Rise, Dubai, UAE.
- DIFC Tower - Cultural, Dubai, UAE.
- DIFC Hub - Mixed-use, Dubai, UAE.
- Worli Penthouse - Residential, Mumbai, UAE].
- JBH Ballroom Renovation - Hospitality, Dubai, India.
- Smart City KSA - Masterplanning, Riyadh, KSA.
- Ellington Tower - Residential, Dubai, UAE.
Awards & Honors
- "Killa Design Website: Our Team". Killadesign.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Dubai Future Foundation: Museum of the Future Showcasing a New Era". dubaifuture.ae. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "What to expect from the Museum of the Future?". bayut.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Museum of the Future Website". museumofthefuture.ae. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Dubai's Museum of the Future: poetry in steel". metinvestholding.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "BBC: Museum of the Future, The building designed by an algorithm". bbc.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "CTBUH: Museum of the Future". skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "New details emerge about Dubai's Museum of the Future". thenationalnews.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Killa Design creates new beachfront destination". middleeastarchitect.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Emaar Hospitality to unveil Dubai hotel with rooftop infinity pool". cladglobal.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Stunning new Address Beach Resort hotel to open on December 18". whatson.ae. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Address Beach Resort to open on Friday". tradearabia.com. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Killa Design: 3D Printing the buildings of tomorrow". ultimaker.com. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Office of the Future Construction". econstruct.ae. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Office of the Future, the first 3D printed building in the world". herskhazeen.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Office of the Future: Architecture Masterprize Winner". architectureprize.com. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
This article "Killa Design Architecture" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Killa Design Architecture. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.