|Type||Non-profit media organization|
|Focus||Animal rights, activism|
Lady Freethinker (LFT), is a 501(c)3 non-profit media organization focused on animal advocacy. Founded in 2013 by Nina Jackel, the organization investigates and exposes animal cruelty, creates petitions, publishes media campaigns, conducts research culminating in original reports, and publishes news in the grassroots activist movement.
LFT’s report on the widespread use of the Facebook social media platform to organize illegal dog-fighting and sell puppies into fighting rings led to international media coverage of the non-profit and its report in Newsweek, The Guardian, Metro Time and HVG among others.
In 2019, LFT published a report, The Deadly Underground World of Dogfighting on Facebook on the use of Facebook in order to promote dog-fighting groups and content on the platform. The investigation took place from December 2018 through February, 2019, and discovered 160,563 Facebook users following 150 pages and 2,000 posts promoting dogfighting and trafficking of animals. LFT also launched a petition in order to prompt Facebook to address the issue, to which a Facebook spokesperson released a statement to Newsweek, “We're grateful to Lady Freethinker for bringing these posts to our attention and we have contacted them so we can get the information we need to investigate this content”.
In 2018 and throughout 2019, Lady Freethinker created petitions and bus ads to raise awareness of the dog and cat meat trades in China and South Korea. The project is in collaboration with Save Korean Dogs, and includes messages such as “dogs are not food but family” and “please do not eat me”.
In 2018, the organization also investigated illegal dog breeding taking place in Chile and complained to the Office of the Public Prosecutor, leading to the rescue of 20 illegally chained dogs in Llay Llay, Chile.
In 2017, a petition started by LFT which gathered 13,000 signatures led to the canceling of a fundraising event scheduled to take place in Taupiri, New Zealand, which encouraged schoolchildren to kill possums.
- Cruelty to animals
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Humane Society International
- List of animal rights groups
- List of animal welfare organizations
- Zhao, Christina (2019-05-27). "Facebook used to promote illegal dogfighting, puppy trading, animal rights group finds". Newsweek. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Doward, Jamie (2019-05-26). "Facebook 'gives global platform to illegal dogfighting'". The Observer. ISSN 0029-7712. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Oseledko, V. (2019-05-28). "Facebook, arène virtuelle et illégale pour les combats de chiens ?". Metro. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Zrt, Kiadó (2019-05-27). "Kutyaviadalt népszerűsítettek, be sem jelzett a Facebook szűrője". hvg.hu (in magyar). Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- https://ladyfreethinker.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Deadly-Dogfighting-on-Facebook-An-LFT-Report-May-26-2019.pdf The Deadly Underground World of Dogfighting on Facebook. Lady Freethinker. 2019
- "New Campaign Aims at Ending Asian Dog Meat Trade". One Green Planet. 2019-02-21. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Flores, Paulina. "Organización de rescate animal encuentra 21 perros encadenados y sin alimento en cerro de Llay Llay". www.ahoranoticias.cl (in español). Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "School scraps possum hunt after online protest". Otago Daily Times Online News. 2017-09-14. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
|This article related to a non-profit organization is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This animal rights-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Lady Freethinker" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Lady Freethinker. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.