List of Big Bash League wooden spoons
The wooden spoon is the imaginary and ironic "award" which is said to be won by the team finishing in last place in the Big Bash League. No physical wooden spoon award exists, other than those brought by opposition fans to taunt struggling teams, nor is such an award officially sanctioned by the BBL. However, most betting agencies will take wagers on the wooden spoon.
Sydney Thunder won the wooden spoon in the first three Big Bash League seasons between the 2011–12 and 2013–14 seasons, before Brisbane Heat became the first team other than the Thunder to finish last in the eight-team competition, in 2014–15.
In the 2016–17 season, the Sydney Sixers achieved the feat of going from wooden spooners in 2015–16 to Champions, a feat rarely seen in Australian sport.
Following the completion of the 2020–21 in which the Melbourne Renegades won their second straight wooden spoon, it was reported that Cricket Australia would attempt to introduce a player draft in order to balance the player pool amongst the franchises.
|Team||Total||Wooden Spoon Season(s)|
|Sydney Thunder||4||2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2016–17|
|Melbourne Renegades||2||2019–20, 2020–21|
- Jacques Kallis targeted to help Sydney Thunder rumble in the Big Bash League, Sydney Morning Herald, 1 April 2014
- Big Bash League 2012–13: From blunder to Thunder, ESPN Cricinfo, 11 April 2013
- Dorries, Ben (21 January 2015). "Andrew Flintoff declares Brisbane Heat's underperforming players to blame for wooden spoon campaign". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "How the Sixers went from wooden spooners to the unlikeliest of Big Bash finalists". foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
- Wu, Andrew. "Angst over planned BBL draft as players left in limbo". smh.com.au. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
This article "List of Big Bash League wooden spoons" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of Big Bash League wooden spoons. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.