List of Los Angeles Police Department officers killed in the line of duty
The following Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officers have all been killed in the line of duty. A total of 206 officers are officially recognized as having died in the line of duty by the Los Angeles Police Department. This list also includes two Los Angeles City Marshals, the chief law enforcement officer of Los Angeles, California in the city's early years before the LAPD was established in 1869 and who headed the LAPD until 1876 as well as three other officers who are not currently recognized by the LAPD as having died in the line of duty, bringing the total shown here to 209.
The term "line of duty" means any action which an officer is obligated or authorized to carry out, or for which the officer is compensated by the public agency he or she serves. The term "killed in the line of duty" means a law enforcement officer has died as a direct and proximate result of a personal injury sustained in the line of duty. This includes law enforcement officers who, while in an off-duty capacity, act in response to a law violation, or are driving to or from work.
The fallen officers of LAPD are honored and remembered in a number of ways. The Los Angeles Police Memorial is a monument outside Parker Center, the LAPD's headquarters, and was unveiled on October 1, 1971. The monument is a fountain made from black granite, the base of which is inscribed with the names of the LAPD officers who have died while serving the City of Los Angeles. The California Peace Officers' Memorial is a wood and glass encased book containing the names of all fallen officers in California, and is attached to a wall outside the Governor's office in the state capital Sacramento. In 1988, the California Peace Officers' Memorial Monument was dedicated to the memory of the state's fallen officers. The monument is a 13-foot-tall, three-figured bronze monument in California's state capital, Sacramento, representing a county sheriff of the 1880s, a state trooper of the 1930s, and a city patrolman of the 1980s. In the United States capital city Washington D.C., the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, which was established in 1970, honors law enforcement officials from across the nation who have died in the line of duty.
When an LAPD officer dies, the funeral is often one of pomp and pageantry, such as that for Randal Simmons in 2008, which was observed by over 10,000 mourners and onlookers, including Los Angeles City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, LA County Sheriff Lee Baca, Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley, LAPD Chief William J. Bratton, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and featured a procession of motorcycles, cars, SUVs, SWAT vehicles, and horses that lasted over an hour, a missing man formation, a riderless horse, a flag-draped casket, a three-volley salute, and "Amazing Grace" and "Taps" played by a bagpiper and bugler, respectively. It was the largest police officer funeral of its kind in the United States. Only one recent funeral did not have a riderless horse; that was Charles Heim's, as it was his duty to lead the horse at officers' funerals.
— denotes information is not available.
shaded rows with "L/D" in the Notes cell denotes the officer died at a later date than the day of the incident.
shaded rows with "O/D" in the Notes cell denotes the officer was killed while off duty.
shaded rows with "O/D-L/D" in the Notes cell denotes the officer was off duty when injured, and died at a later date than the day of the incident.
shaded rows with a corresponding numerical figure in the Notes cell denotes when officers were killed in the same incident.
"MoV" in the Notes cell denotes the officer has been posthumously awarded the LAPD's Medal of Valor.
"WoF" in the Notes cell denotes the officer has been posthumously awarded a joint Hollywood Walk of Fame Star (located on Hollywood Boulevard and La Brea Avenue).
|Name||Rank||Badge/Serial Number||Tenure||Date of death||Age||Cause of death||Notes|
|Jack Whaling||City Marshal||—||—||1853||—||Gunfire||[A][B]|
|William C. Warren||City Marshal/Police Chief||—||8 years||1870-10-31||—||Gunfire||[A][B]|
|Clyde A. May||Policeman||—||1 year||1907-02-28||27||Gunfire||L/D|
|Patrick H. Lyons||Policeman||—||4 months||1907-11-30||30||Gunfire|||
|Walter H. Auble||Captain||—||21 years||1908-09-09||47||Gunfire|||
|Arthur B. Crusey||Policeman||—||—||1911-05-25||—||Gunfire|
|Cecil S. Bowman||Policeman||—||—||1911-06-08||—||Struck by train|
|James P. Wylie||Policeman||—||—||1911-11-27||—||Car accident|
|Floyd C. Eiler||Policeman||—||—||1911-12-25||—||Gunfire|
|James F. Crehan||Policeman||—||—||1914-03-31||—||Struck by streetcar|
|Robert V. Murray||Policeman||—||—||1914-09-23||—||Gunfire|
|John Francis Toolen||Sergeant||—||9 years||1915-10-19||40||Gunfire|||
|J.E. Browning||Detective Lieutenant||—||—||1915-11-29||—||Gunfire|
|Walter R. Kreps||Policeman||—||—||1916-03-28||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Charles H. Crowe||Detective||—||8 years, 10 months||1916-06-17||39||Heatstroke||L/D|
|Thomas J. Kronschnabel||Policeman||—||12 years||1916-12-15||37||Gunfire|||
|James A. Ellsworth||Policeman||—||—||1917-09-04||—||Car accident|
|Charles E. Johnson||Lieutenant||—||—||1917-11-13||—||Fall|
|Claude H. Wyatt||Policeman||—||—||1919-08-27||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Joseph Romero||Policeman||—||—||1919-09-22||—||Car accident|
|John G. Magness||Policeman||—||—||1920-05-21||—||Car accident|
|Donald C. Hathaway||Policeman||—||—||1920-05-24||—||Gunfire|
|Elijah P. Bradley||Policeman||—||—||1920-06-15||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Frank Llewelyn Coe||Policeman||—||4 years||1921-02-11||45||Motorcycle accident||L/D[A]|
|John Fitzgerald||Detective Sergeant||—||—||1921-06-18||—||Gunfire|
|William L. Brett||Policeman||—||—||1921-12-06||—||Gunfire||1|
|Roy L. Shy||Detective Sergeant||—||—||1922-04-08||41||Car accident|
|Vernon Oliver Dinsmore||Policeman||—||—||1922-11-04||—||Gunfire|
|Charles P. Williams||Policeman||567||3 years||1923-01-13||35||Gunfire||[D]|
|Arthur "Archie" Cruse||Policeman||—||—||1923-01-22||—||Gunfire|
|Matthew P. McDonagh||Policeman||468||3 years||1923-01-22||28||Struck by train|
|Ralph D. Green||Policeman||—||—||1924-01-11||—||Car accident|
|Glenn E. Bond||Policeman||—||—||1924-02-20||—||Gunfire|
|George E. Papst||Policeman||—||—||1924-07-27||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Edward E. Wilhoit||Policeman||—||—||1924-08-20||36||Gunfire|
|Frank E. Corley||Policeman||—||—||1924-08-24||—||Gunfire||O/D|
|Ralph Miover||Policeman||—||—||1925-04-11||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Wylie E. Smith||Policeman||—||—||1925-08-23||—||Gunfire||L/D|
|Carl Drake||Policeman||—||—||1926-02-23||—||Gunfire (accidental)|
|James M. Miller||Policeman||—||—||1926-03-14||—||Gunfire|
|Arthur L. Davenport||Policeman||—||—||1926-05-16||—||Car accident|
|Judson D. Cornwall||Sergeant||—||—||1926-07-10||—||Struck by vehicle|
|Andrew J. Davilla||Policeman||—||—||1926-09-10||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Charles M. Partin||Policeman||—||—||1927-01-23||28||Motorcycle accident|
|Parley L. Bennett||Policeman||—||2 years, 6 months||1927-01-25||33||Gunfire|
|John Volberg Wicks||Policeman||—||3 years||1927-03-23||27||Gunfire||L/D|
|James H. Carter||Policeman||—||—||1928-03-28||36||Gunfire|
|John M. Brinnegar||Policeman||—||—||1928-09-29||36||Gunfire|
|William H. Marple||Policeman||—||—||1929-02-27||—||Car accident||2|
|John M. Schomaker||Policeman||—||—||1929-02-27||—||Car accident||2|
|Lewis Long||Policeman||—||—||1929-04-18||—||Car accident|
|James C. Costello||Policeman||—||—||1930-03-31||27||Gunfire|
|Peter Muller Jr.||Policeman||—||10 years||1930-04-13||—||Gunfire|
|Vern A. Brindley||Policeman||—||—||1930-05-10||—||Gunfire|
|James L. Beck||Policeman||—||—||1931-01-28||—||Gunfire||L/D|
|Henry C. Jackson||Policeman||—||—||1931-03-01||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Hugh A. Crowley||Policeman||—||—||1932-01-11||—||Gunfire|
|Paul T. Lee||Detective Lieutenant||—||—||1932-12-20||—||Gunfire|
|W. Anderson||Policeman||—||—||1933-10-21||—||Car accident|
|Russell A. Leidy||Policeman||—||—||1934-07-24||32||Gunfire|
|Alfred C. Madon||Policeman||—||—||1935-06-16||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Owen D. Yancy||Policeman||—||—||1935-10-20||—||Gunfire|
|Clyde Pritchett||Policeman||97||12 years, 6 months||1936-02-17||42||Gunfire||WoF|
|E.A. Barber||Sergeant||—||—||1936-11-09||—||Struck by train|
|Donald C. Tisdale||Policeman||—||—||1937-03-10||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Neville Batt||Policeman||—||14 years||1937-07-09||47||Struck by train||L/D|
|E.J. Bickel||Policeman||—||—||1937-08-30||—||Car accident|
|Walsteen E. Long||Policeman||—||18 years||1938-01-18||45||Struck by vehicle|
|George C. Howard||Lieutenant||—||—||1938-05-22||—||Gunfire|
|Weymouth T. Lockridge||Policeman||—||—||1938-09-09||—||Car accident|
|Harry G. Emsley||Lieutenant||—||—||1939-01-12||46||Motorcycle accident|
|William G. Brown||Policeman||—||—||1939-09-13||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Orley O. Sanner||Policeman||—||—||1940-05-26||44||Electrocution (accidental)|
|Ferris Eugene Stansell||Policeman||1959||—||1941-07-11||43||Car accident|
|Arthur W. Bethel||Detective Lieutenant||—||—||1941-07-13||55||Gunfire||L/D[A]|
|George R. Colvin||Policeman||405||16 years||1941-08-18||50||Motorcycle accident||L/D|
|Joseph E. Daniels||Policeman||469||—||1941-09-24||39||Car accident|
|W.G. Chamberlain||Policeman||2472||—||1941-12-25||27||Motorcycle accident|
|Lee N. Bunch||Detective||277||—||1942-03-08||45||Gunfire|||
|Mario V. Deiro||Policeman||496||—||1942-12-31||31||Gunfire|
|James A. Summers||Policeman||2015||—||1944-03-04||49||Heart attack||L/D|
|Charles H. Bridgeman||Sergeant||232||—||1945-03-16||43||Gunfire (accidental)|
|Isaac L. Lankford||Sergeant||2440||—||1945-10-14||31||Motorcycle accident|
|Norbert John Huseman||Policeman||7425||—||1945-12-31||33||Gunfire||L/D|
|Jack W. Harris||Policeman||2650||—||1946-02-01||33||Gunfire||L/D|
|Walter H. Kesterson||Policeman||1125||18 years||1946-02-04||51||Gunfire||MoV[E]|
|George Booker Mogle||Reserve Policeman||—||—||1946-08-07||44||Gunfire||L/D|
|Frank G. Panek||Policeman||7605||—||1947-04-14||26||Gunfire|
|Frederick S. Wales||Policeman||3641||—||1947-10-07||26||Motorcycle accident|
|John Naccarato Jr.||Policeman||3757||—||1947-12-05||25||Gunfire|
|Delmer E. Cook||Policeman||3378||—||1948-12-06||31||Gunfire|
|J.W. Milton||Detective Sergeant||1364||21 years||1949-05-16||50||Gunfire|
|Roland E. White||Policeman||5049||3 years||1950-05-11||26||Gunfire||L/D|
|Glenn H. Clark||Policeman||3277||—||1950-07-08||28||Motorcycle accident|
|J.B. Vose||Policeman||5043||—||1950-10-21||27||Motorcycle accident|
|Thomas J. Kennedy||Policeman||4602||—||1951-04-05||33||Motorcycle accident|
|Chester M. Gilderhaus||Policeman||4230||—||1951-09-30||35||Motorcycle accident|
|Marvin Wayne Haney||Sergeant||3969||—||1952-02-15||31||Gunfire||L/D|
|James D. Kennard||Policeman||2942||—||1952-03-03||39||Car accident|
|Lloyd F. Hassler||Policeman||3975||—||1952-08-24||32||Motorcycle accident|
|John E. Dunphy||Policeman||4350||—||1954-06-22||31||Car accident|
|Clay N. Hunt||Detective||1007||—||1955-02-22||42||Car accident||WoF|
|Harry M. Miller||Policeman||4227||10 years||1956-09-07||36||Motorcycle accident|
|Michael Joseph McAndrews||Policeman||—||11 years||1957-01-13||38||Heart attack|
|Robert R. Christensen||Policeman||3890||—||1957-10-14||38||Gunfire|
|Joseph W. Bennett||Policeman||7044||—||1958-07-26||35||Car accident|
|Gene Tilford Nash||Detective Sergeant||5771||—||1958-10-20||32||Gunfire|
|Jose L. Castellanos||Detective||6517||—||1959-03-05||36||Gunfire|
|Charles E. Bogardus||Policeman||3860||—||1959-04-05||—||Gunfire|
|Gilbert Reyes||Policeman||5787||—||1959-05-04||—||Car accident|
|Robert Sweet||Policeman||7488||—||1959-12-26||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Richard D. Kent||Policeman||7169||2 years||1960-12-08||30||Gunfire|||
|Sidney Riegel||Policeman||4299||15 years||1961-05-06||44||Gunfire|
|Martin Parker||Policeman||6935||—||1961-09-14||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Leroy J. Wadsworth||Policeman||5976||—||1961-11-30||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Charles Hallenbeck||Policeman||10733||1 year, 5 months||1962-07-26||—||Vehicular assault|
|Ian James Campbell||Policeman||10046||—||1963-03-09||31||Gunfire||WoF[F]|
|Robert M. Endler||Detective||6221||—||1964-02-01||—||Gunfire||3|
|Charles P. Monaghan||Detective Sergeant||6078||—||1964-02-01||—||Gunfire||3|
|Norman D. Piepenbrink||Sergeant||6090||—||1964-11-30||—||Helicopter accident|
|Gary K. McDonald||Policeman||12151||11 months||1965-10-06||22||Gunfire|
|John C. Smith||Policeman M/C Officer||10395||—||1966-03-02||27||Vehicular assault|
|Malcolm L. Beaty||Sergeant||12613||—||1966-08-29||23||Vehicular assault||L/D|
|Alex N. Ilnicki||Policeman||3490||—||1966-08-30||46||Helicopter accident||4|
|Lawrence D. Amberg||Policeman||10668||4 years, 7 months||1966-08-30||27||Helicopter accident||4|
|Keith Gregory Dupuis||Policeman||10657||6 years||1966-10-27||27||Gunfire||L/D|
|Roger R. Warren||Policeman||433||1 month||1967-05-08||23||Gunfire|
|Donald L. Highley||Policeman||11895||3 years||1968-02-10||33||Struck by vehicle|
|Oscar J. Bryant||Policeman||12111||4 years||1968-02-10||26||Gunfire|
|Gary W. Murakami||Policeman||14037||2 days||1968-09-09||26||Gunfire|||
|Robert J. Cote||Policeman||13991||1 year, 3 months||1969-07-31||—||Gunfire||WoF|
|Earl L. Riddick||Policeman||14169||2 years||1970-04-23||29||Gunfire||O/D|
|Michael W. Parker||Policeman||13031||—||1970-08-18||—||Car accident|
|Phillip J. Riley||Policeman||14745||—||1971-10-21||—||Gunfire|
|Kenneth E. Walters||Policeman||16849||—||1972-03-27||—||Car accident|
|Fred H. Early||Policeman||12552||—||1973-03-23||31||Gunfire||O/D-L/D|
|Charles A. Caraccilo||Policeman||10285||14 years||1973-06-21||35||Gunfire|
|John T. Lawler||Policeman||10502||13 years||1973-07-09||40||Motorcycle accident|
|Gerald Wayne Sawyer||Detective||11797||—||1973-11-06||32||Gunfire|
|Michael Lee Edwards||Officer||15444||5 years||1974-05-11||25||Gunfire|
|Paul J. Gillen||Commander||6435||—||1974-05-29||—||Helicopter accident|
|Garth L. Ward||Officer||—||—||1974-07-30||58||Car accident||L/D|
|Michael Ian McDougal||Officer||14028||—||1975-01-19||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Vincent L. Leusch||Officer||16208||5 years||1975-09-22||29||Vehicle pursuit|
|Zlato Nicholi Sintic||Officer||15485||9 years||1976-02-12||33||Gunfire|
|Jeffrey B. Lindenberg||Officer||14388||7 years||1976-06-11||30||Helicopter accident|
|Raymond Earl Hicks||Officer||12035||12 years||1976-08-17||35||Gunfire|
|David Earle Bailey||Officer||21939||—||1977-10-21||—||Gunfire|
|James J. Choquette||Officer||14818||10 years||1979-08-02||32||Vehicular assault|
|David B. Kubly||Officer||22123||1 year, 6 months||1979-09-27||23||Gunfire|
|Curtis C. Hagele||Detective||11389||—||1980-03-10||—||Gunfire (accidental)|
|Charles R. Rogers||Officer||—||17 years||1980-11-26||40||Heart attack|
|Steven K. Alberts||Officer||22154||—||1981-05-31||—||Car accident|
|Stuart S. Taira||Reserve Officer||R1019||—||1983-03-01||28||Helicopter accident||MoV|
|Paul L. Verna||Officer||15086||—||1983-06-02||35||Gunfire|
|Jack V. Evans||Officer||12023||—||1983-10-22||—||Motorcycle accident|
|Arthur Ken Soo Hoo||Officer||21730||—||1983-10-29||—||Vehicular assault||5|
|William N. Wong||Officer||22205||—||1983-10-29||—||Vehicular assault||5|
|Duane Curtis Johnson||Officer||23431||3 years||1984-12-19||27||Gunfire|
|Thomas C. Williams||Detective||17491||13 years||1985-10-31||42||Gunfire||O/D MoV|
|Arleigh Eugene McCree||Detective||12241||—||1986-02-08||—||Explosives; Pipe bomb||6|
|Ronald Lawrence Ball||Officer||15323||—||1986-02-08||—||Explosives; Pipe bomb||6|
|Randol L. Marshall||Officer||14473||—||1987-06-02||38||Motorcycle accident|
|James H. Pagliotti||Officer III||23759||5 years||1987-06-22||28||Gunfire|
|James C. Beyea||Officer||25532||9 months||1988-06-07||24||Gunfire|
|Daniel Allen Pratt||Officer||23800||6 months||1988-09-03||30||Gunfire|
|Derrick Conner||Officer||25472||—||1988-12-12||28||Car accident||7|
|Manuel Gutierrez||Officer||24654||—||1988-12-12||26||Car accident||7|
|David Lee Hofmeyer||Officer||24984||—||1988-12-12||25||Car accident||7|
|Norman D. Eckles||Detective||16032||19 years||1989-04-20||42||Gunfire||L/D|
|Kelly Key III||Detective||11755||9 years||1989-12-27||49||Gunfire||L/D|
|Russell Lee Kuster||Detective||12884||24 years, 6 months||1990-10-09||50||Gunfire||O/D WoF|
|Tina Frances Kerbrat||Officer||27606||10 months||1991-02-11||34||Gunfire||[G]|
|Charles Randall Champe||Officer||20393||17 years||1991-06-13||46||Helicopter accident||8|
|Gary Alan Howe||Officer||16805||20 years||1991-06-13||41||Helicopter accident||8|
|Edward Stefan Kislo||Detective||20625||18 years, 6 months||1992-08-23||50||Gunfire|
|Raymond Alfred Messerly Jr.||Officer||22940||11 years, 6 months||1991-10-22||42||Motorcycle accident|
|David Charles Schmid||Officer||24558||8 years, 6 months||1992-12-16||34||Motorcycle accident|
|Joe Rios||Officer||24216||10 years||1993-01-20||39||Bicycle accident||L/D WoF|
|Clarence Wayne Dean||Officer||13994||26 years||1994-01-17||46||Motorcycle accident||O/D|
|Christy Lynn Hamilton||Officer||30433||2 months||1994-02-22||45||Gunfire|
|Charles D. Heim||Officer||24265||11 years||1994-10-22||33||Gunfire||WoF|
|Gabriel Delgado Perez-Negron||Officer||31314||1 year||1995-11-04||31||Vehicular assault|
|Mario Navidad Jr.||Officer II||31588||1 year||1996-12-22||27||Gunfire|||
|Van Derick Johnson||Officer II||25561||9 years||1997-02-05||31||Motorcycle accident|
|Steven Gerald Gajda||Officer II||27686||7 years||1998-01-01||29||Gunfire||L/D|
|Filberto Henry Cuesta Jr.||Officer II||30753||4 years||1998-08-09||26||Gunfire|
|Brian Ernest Fenimore Brown||Officer III||32054||3 years||1998-11-29||27||Gunfire|
|Louis Villalobos Jr.||Policeman||16237||29 years||2000-03-17||52||Fall||L/D|
|Robert Joe Mata||Officer II||32571||6 years||2000-09-19||26||Car accident|||
|George A. Rose Jr.||Officer||26827||3 years||2001-12-09||40||Gunfire (accidental)||L/D|
|Abiel Barron||Detective I||24314||19 years||2003-06-25||49||Car accident|||
|Ricardo Lizarraga||Officer||36046||2 years, 6 months||2004-02-20||30||Gunfire|||
|Landon Michael Dorris||Officer II||37029||9 years, 6 months||2006-10-22||31||Car accident||[H]|
|Randal Simmons||Officer III+I||22885||27 years||2008-02-07||51||Gunfire|||
|Spree Desha||Officer III||35928||7 years, 7 months||2008-09-12||35||Train accident||O/D|
|Nicholas Choung Lee||Officer III||34980||16 years||2014-03-07||40||Car accident|
|Chris Cortijo||Officer II||25473||26 years||2014-04-09||51||Vehicular assault||L/D|
|Roberto C. Sanchez||Officer II||39618||6 years||2014-05-03||32||Vehicular assault|
|Esmeralda Ramirez||Officer II||—||11 years||2019-06-09||49||Car accident||L/D|
|Juan Jose Diaz||Officer||—||2 years||2019-07-27||24||Gunfire||O/D|
- A This fallen officer is not officially recognized by the Los Angeles Police Department
- B Jack Whaling and William Warren were Los Angeles City Marshals, the chief law enforcement officer of Los Angeles in the city's early years, before the formation of the LAPD.
- C Charles H. Crowe appears neither on the LAPD's monument at Parker Center, which lists its fallen officers, nor on its list of Officers Killed in the Line of Duty on its website, but has been honored on The Officer Down Memorial Page website since March 2011. According to the Los Angeles Police Historical Society, however, the 1917 Annual Report of the LAPD to the City Mayor mentions Crowe as being killed on duty, and a newspaper of the day reported on his death with the headline "Officer Follows Duties to Grave."
- D Charles Williams was the first African American LAPD officer to be killed.
- E It was discovered that the man who had killed Walter Kesterson had killed Richard Pennington of the Vernon Police Department ten days earlier.
- F The story of Ian Campbell's kidnapping and murder was turned into a non-fiction novel and movie, The Onion Field.
- G Tina Kerbrat was the first female LAPD officer to be killed.
- H Landon Dorris had served three-and-a-half years with the LAPD, and six years with the California Highway Patrol.
Other articles of the topic Los Angeles : AT&T-TimeWarner, 20th Century Fox Film Studios, AniFest, Los Angeles, A. J. Mayers, List of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officers killed in the line of duty, Adventist Health White Memorial
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- "History of the LAPD: 1850-1900". Los Angeles Police Department. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- Martin, Glynn. "Honoring a Century of Sacrifice Frank L. Coe". Los Angeles Police Historical Society, The Hot Sheet No. 21, January–February 2007. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- Bultema, James A. "Officer C. H. Crow - June 17, 1916". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010. Unknown parameter
- "Lieutenant Arthur W. Bethel". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- "Criteria for Adding a Name to the Memorial". National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. 2004-03-17. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- "History of the LAPD: History of Parker Center". Los Angeles Police Department. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "History of the California Peace Officers' Memorial". California Peace Officers' Memorial. Archived from the original on January 23, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- "About us". National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Ann Martin (newsreader); Mark Coogan (reporter) (2006-02-15). CBS 2 News at 6. Los Angeles. KCBS-TV. CBS 2.
- Kim Baldonado (reporter) (2006-02-15). Channel 4 News Midday. Los Angeles. KNBC. NBC 4.
- "The LAPD: 1850-1900". Los Angeles Police Department. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Bullet Kills Patrolman". Los Angeles Daily Times. March 1, 1907.
Patrolman C. A. May died about 8 o'clock last night at the Clara Barton Hospital from the bullet wound inflicted by William Ross, a highwayman, at Adams and San Pedro streets on February 3
- "Rejoin to Perpetrate 3rd Robbery". Los Angeles Herald. December 1, 1907.
Patrolman P.H. Lyons, attached to the University police station, was shot and fatally wounded in a battle with two holdup men at 14th Street and Central Avenue shortly after 11 o'clock last night.
- "Capt. Auble's Slayer, Hunted Down, Kills Himself". Los Angeles Herald. September 10, 1908.
Captain Walter H. Auble, for 21 years a member of the Los Angeles Police Department, is dead from the bullet of an assassin, and Carl D. Sutherland, who fired the shots that killed the police officer, was hunted down and captured by the police 12 hours after he committed the murder. … [He] fired point blank at the officer. The bullet struck Auble in the neck Sutherland … He pressed the muzzle of the weapon to Auble's abdomen and at the same time pulled the trigger … Sutherland fired again, the bullet striking Auble in the chest … He raised his hand to the level of his mouth and quick as a flash placed the small object … to his lips and swallowed its contents.
- "Sergeant John Francis Toolen". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- "Toolen, J.F." LAPD. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- "Officer Charles H. Crowe". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- Kalk, Richard. "Officer Thomas D. Kronschnabel - December 1916". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2010-10-04. Unknown parameter
- Masek, Mark. "Grave Spotlight - Thomas J. Kronschnabel". www.cemeteryguide.com. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- Thomas, John. "C.P. Williams Memorial Page". LAPD. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- "Bits and Pieces". LAPD HISTORY. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- Associated Press (2006-03-10). "Cops Killed In Action Honored With Hollywood Star". CBS 2. Los Angeles: CBS. Retrieved 2008-04-06.[dead link]
- Powers, John. "Detective Lee Bunch - March 7, 1942". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on July 5, 2015. Retrieved June 9, 2015. Unknown parameter
- "2007 Medal of Valor Recipients". LAPD. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- Lait, Matt (2007-03-08). "Policeman up for top commendation". Los Angeles Times.
- "16 Police Officers To Be Awarded Medal Of Valor". CBS 2. Los Angeles: CBS. 2007-03-13. Retrieved 2008-04-06.[dead link]
- Powers, John. "Officer Walter Kesterson - February 4, 1946". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010. Unknown parameter
- "First LAPD Reserve Officer Killed In The Line Of Duty: The Lost Story Of George Booker Mogle". Los Angeles Police Reserve Foundation. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "G.B. Mogle". LAPD. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- Russum, Jane. "Officer Richard Kent - December 8, 1960". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010. Unknown parameter
- Krajicek, David J. (2008-03-25). "The Justice Story, Murder in the Onion Field". Daily News. New York, NY: Mortimer Zuckerman. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- Powers, John. "Officer G.W. Murakami - September 9, 1968". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010. Unknown parameter
- Powers, John. "Officer E.L. Riddick - April 23, 1970". Los Angeles Police Historical Society. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2010. Unknown parameter
- "Reserve Officer Stuart S. Taira". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Stuart Taira". LAPD. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- Becerra, Hector (2004-03-31). "Death Row Inmate Seeks a New Trial in LAPD Detective's Slaying". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Parole Denied For Man Convicted In 1985 Cop Death". CBS 2. Los Angeles: CBS. 2006-10-11. Retrieved 2008-04-06.[dead link]
- Knight, Tony (February 9, 1986). "Bomb Squad Pair Respected for Skills at Jobs: McCree had worldwide renown". Los Angeles Daily News. Los Angeles Newspaper Group.
- "AROUND THE NATION; 2 Bomb Squad Officers Die in House Blast". The New York Times. New York, NY. Associated Press. February 10, 1986. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- "THE EARTHQUAKE; 38 Deaths in the Earthquake". The New York Times. New York, NY. Associated Press. 1994-01-19. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- "KCAL 9 News at 8". KCAL 9 News. Los Angeles. 1996-12-23. KCAL-TV.
- Hester, Chris (1988-04-05). "My Son, My Hero: Mother shares pain of loss". Los Angeles Daily News. MediaNews Group.
- Associated Press (2000-09-20). "BRIEFLY LAPD OFFICER DIES IN PATROL CAR CRASH". Los Angeles Daily News. MediaNews Group. Archived from the original on 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2013-10-03. Unknown parameter
- "Head-On Collision Kills Detective; Another Detective In Critical Condition". CBS 2. Los Angeles: CBS. 2003-06-26. Archived from the original on 2003-08-28. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Associated Press (2004-02-21). "Second police officer shot in South Los Angeles in two days". North County Times. San Diego County: Lee Enterprises. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Jill Leovy; Richard Winton; Andrew Blankstein; Kevin Pang; Christiana Sciaudone; Erin Ailworth (2004-02-21). "Officer Killed; Suspect Is Caught in Manhunt". Los Angeles Times.
- Associated Press (2006-10-23). "LAPD Officer Dies After Being Struck By Car". CBS 8. San Diego, CA: Midwest Television. Retrieved 2008-04-08.[dead link]
- "Flags Fly At Half-Staff In Honor Of Fallen Officer". NBC 4. Los Angeles: NBC Universal. 2006-10-22. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Mitchell, John L. (2006-10-23). "Officer is fatally hit at scene of collision". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "5 Dead In Bloody L.A. Standoff". CBS 2. Los Angeles: CBS. 2008-02-07. Archived from the original on 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2008-04-08. Unknown parameter
- Burch, Wendy (2008-02-07). "Veteran SWAT officer killed in shootout". ABC 7. Los Angeles: ABC. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Richard Winton; Molly Hennessy-Fiske; Andrew Blankstein (2008-02-07). "Sniper shot gunman as he tried to flee". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2008-04-08.[dead link]
- Andrew Blankstein; Joel Rubin (2008-09-14). "LAPD officer killed in crash was a standout". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on March 14, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-04. Unknown parameter
- "Officers Killed in the Line of Duty". Los Angeles Police Department. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- "Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- "Officers Killed in the Line of Duty". LAPD. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- "The California Peace Officers' Memorial Foundation". Archived from the original on March 2, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Los Angeles Police Department website
- Official LAPD blog
- Officers killed through 1909, with links to articles about them
This article "List of Los Angeles Police Department officers killed in the line of duty" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of Los Angeles Police Department officers killed in the line of duty. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.