List of works set in a single day
This is a list of works of fiction set within a single period of 24 hours. This is limited to works where the one-day duration is a defining and non-trivial characteristic of the work, which will typically be mentioned in summaries and reviews of the work.
A "Day in the life" is a recurring device used in various media forms, such as novels, films, plays and television series, showing the events that happen to the character over a day. Some celebrated examples in literature are James Joyce's Ulysses, Alexander Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
- 24, each season of which is set over 24 hours
- 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)
- American Graffiti (1973)
- The Daytrippers (1996)
- Before Sunrise (1995)
- The Breakfast Club (1985), set during a Saturday detention in an American school
- Car Wash (1976), a day in the life of the owner and employees of a Los Angeles car wash
- Clerks (1994), set during a day at a convenience store
- Dazed and Confused (1993), set during the last day of school
- Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
- Do the Right Thing (1989), set during the hottest day of summer in Brooklyn
- Empire Records (1995)
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986). Bueller and his friends take a day off from school.
- Fruitvale Station (2013), covering the last day of a young man's life
- Friday (1995), an American comedy film (and its sequels)
- Friday (2012), an Indian film set on 11/11/11
- Groundhog Day (1993). A self-centered TV weatherman is forced to relive the same day over and over again.
- Happy Death Day A college student is murdered on her birthday and must relive the same day until she finds a way to stop the killer.
- High Noon (1952). The action is in continuous real time (more or less), covering less than two hours.
- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1970), a Norwegian-British film adaptation of the novel
- One Fine Day (1996)
- Rope (1948). Two men hold a dinner party; among their guests are relatives of the man they have murdered
- Run Lola Run (1998). A woman has to raise 100,000 Deutsche Mark in twenty minutes to save her boyfriend's life.
- A Single Man (2009)
- Sixteen Candles (1984), set on a girl's sixteenth birthday
- The Swimmer (1968)
- Training Day (2001)
- Higdon, David Leon (1992), "A First Census of the Circadian or One-Day Novel", The Journal of Narrative Technique, Eastern Michigan University Press, 22: 57,
James Joyce's Ulysses (1922) and Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway (1925) — probably the most famous circadian novels
- Gary M. Kramer (14 August 2015). "The 10 best movies that take place in one day". Salon.
- "The 21st Century's 25 Greatest Films: 15. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days". BBC. 23 August 2016.
- Ziyad Saadi (2 May 2014). "Here's the 10 Best Films That Take Place Over 24 Hours (And The 5 Worst)". IndieWire.
- Howard Suber (15 December 1986). "High Noon". The Criterion Collection.
- Eric D Snider (8 December 2015). "12 Timely Facts About High Noon". Mental Floss.
- List of media set within one day
|This literature-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "List of works set in a single day" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of works set in a single day. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.