Massimiliano Viel (born 1964 in Milan, Italy) is a composer, musician and researcher.
Following the studies in composition at the Conservatory of Milano with Azio Corghi, he attended masterclasses with Brian Ferneyhough, Franco Donatoni, Klaus Huber and Tristan Murail. His activity as a composer, a keyboard player and a sound designer led him to collaborate in the years with with composers such as Luciano Berio (with whom he performed Sinfonia, Ofanim and Outis), Fausto Romitelli, Luca Francesconi and Karlheinz Stockhausen (among many works, Dienstag aus Licht and Freitag aus Licht) and with ensembles and orchestras all over Europe such as Nuove Sincronie Ensemble of Milan, Caput Ensemble of Rejkiavik, Ensemble MusikFabrik of Düsseldorf, the Teatro Alla Scala Orchestra of Milan, the Symphonic Orchestra of the WDR and the Orchestra of Paris.
As a composer, he has realized a number of works both for acoustic and electronic instruments, from solo pieces to the full orchestra. He also explored in depth the relationship between music and other media, realizing performances and productions in close contact with theatre, visual arts and dance, but also engaging in contexts that are unusual for a typical composer, such as the dance floor, the art galleries and the sleep concerts. In 2001 he joined Otolab, the italian collective dedicated to audiovisual performances, with which he created projects such as Quartetto.swf, Verso l’età d’oro, Syn and op7, under the monikers of sn, ssim-el and prof. In 2002 together with Riccardo Nova, Fausto Romitelli and Giovanni Verrando he founded Sincronie, an association that has been devoted in the years from 2004 to 2010 to the production of a festival, listening laboratories and competitions dedicated to explore in a wide sense the relationship between the classical music tradition and the issues of contemporary society.
Since 1988 he has always maintained a regular teaching activity and now, after 15 years of teaching at the Conservatory of Bolzano, he has reached a tenure in Composition for Music Pedagogy at the Conservatory “G.Verdi” of Milan
Orchestral and large ensemble
- 2007 Spazi-Tempi for wind orchestra and percussions (40’)
- 1998 Movimenti for orchestra (13’)
- 2015 Carillon, for four hands piano (6’)
- 2006 5 Fragments from Heterodyne, for ensemble (11’)
- 2001 4ET#3 for strings (6’)
- 1998 Quartet n. 2 for strings (15’)
Acoustic instruments and electronic instruments/sounds
- 2016 Costellazioni for piano and live electronics (25’)
- 2008 Pulsars in M5 for trumpet, brass trio, string quartet and electronic sounds (11’20”)
- 2007 Segnali e rumori for three percussionists and electronic sounds (14’)
- 2017 Responsorio meccanico, for sopran 7 brasses and 7 electronic instruments (40’)
- 1999 Do not move for 16 voices with solo sopran (7’)
- 1997 Hic Est Enim for mixed choir (8’)
- 2013 Crossing (16’)
- 2009 Cluster (for Demetrio Stratos) (20’38”)
as a composer
- 2016 Lumen for two guitars, included in Duo Atzori-Brunini, Controluce, (Archivi Musicali del XXI° secolo) - Album (CD)
- 2014 Chinvat (RadicalMatters) - Album (Digital Release)
- 2009 Pulsars / Punti, Linee (Miraloop Records) - EP
- 2009 Punti, Linee (Miraloop Records) - CD Album
- 2008 IV frammento da heterodyne for clarinet and electronic sounds, included in Il gesto del suono (Auditorium Edizioni) - CD
as an interpreter
- 2004 Atli Ingolfsson, Enter (Bis Records)
- 2003 K.Stockhausen, Freitag aus Licht - CD 50 (Stockhausen Verlag)
- 1998 K.Stockhausen, Momente Version 1998 - CD 80 (Stockhausen Verlag)
- 1996 K.Stockhausen, Dienstag aus Licht - CD 40 (Stockhausen Verlag)
Selected Books and Papers
- 2016 La Scrittura Musicale nell’Età del Computer, La Camera Verde, Roma - pamphlet
- 2016 Quello che riconosciamo, in Bianchi A. & Leghissa A. (eds.) Mondi Altri, Mimesis, Milano.
- 2015 Nell’Alto dei Giorni Immobili: une Analyse Esthésique, in Arbo, A (ed.) Anamorphoses. Études sur l’Œuvre de Fausto Romitelli, Hermann, Paris.
- 2012 Sounds and objects, in Technoetic Arts, 9 - 2/3
- 2011 Living in music, in Ascott R & Girao L.M. (Eds.) Consciousness Reframed 12 Universitade de Aveiro, Portugal
- 2008 Maule E. & Viel M. - La fabbrica dei suoni, Carocci Editore, Roma - book
- 2007 Bertacchini C., Maule E. & Viel M. - Parole, suoni e musiche, Edizioni Junior, Bergamo - book
- 1993 Il calcolo e l'intuizione. L'elettronica come sfida. Incontro con Luca Francesconi, in SONUS anno V n.1, febbraio 1993
- 1990 Formeltechnik, ponte tra inuito e memoria. Incontro con K.Stockhausen, in Sonus anno II n.1, febbraio 1990 pagine 51-68
- Massimiliano Viel official site
- Interview on the INDUSTRIAL (r)EVOLUTION blog (in italian)
- Crossing, Massimiliano Viel's musical galaxy from D'Ars Magazine (in italian)
- F.Romitelli's Nell'alto dei giorni immobili, an esthesic analysis presentation for Anamorphoses, a symposium about Fausto Romitelli, in Strasbourg, France - october 2013 (in english)
This article "Massimiliano Viel" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Massimiliano Viel. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.