Meet the Skullers
|Meet the Skullers|
|Released||6 October 2017|
Meet the Skullers is the first studio EP from the American rock band the Skullers.
The five-track EP was self-released on digital download, 6 October 2017. The songs on Meet the Skullers were written by Skuller, with the exception of "One Foot in the Grave," which was co-written by George James Usher. Album photography is by Justin Hollar. It was produced and mixed by Joel Hamilton at Studio G in Brooklyn, New York, and mastered by Joe LaPorta at Sterling Sound. In an interview with PopMatters, Skuller notes Hamilton "kept our sound true and allowed the fun, power, and simplicity to shine through, so we didn't lose sense of what we do under the confines of recording." The album draws influence from blues and rockabilly, and is compared to the music of rock and roll singer-songwriter JD McPherson, blues musician Gary Clark Jr., the rock band the London Souls, and the southern blues rock band Alabama Shakes. On his first record as a band, Skuller explains "it's called Meet the Skullers because I want people to understand this new chapter in my career."
"Pressure Face" was selected as the first music video, because it was a fan favorite at shows. It contains footage of the band performing in an unlit room. The second music video released was for the song "Peace With You."
Music journalist Jim Testa named Meet the Skullers one of his Top EPs of 2017. The Aquarian Weekly notes the album showcases [the Skullers'] influences and stylings with songs like "Eyes Open" and "Peace With You," showing that there is a lot of rock behind those blues!" adding the EP is "a breath of fresh air when it comes to North Jersey music." Impose says the Skullers are "alternative blues and all things righteous [that] rock wise beyond their years." A review by Jonathan Frahm in PopMatters says Meet the Skullers "comes with a fiery, bluesy sentiment that feels like an assemblage of music well beyond their years."
|1.||"Meet Me in Memphis"||2:43|
|4.||"Peace With You"||4:09|
|5.||"One Foot in the Grave"||3:48|
- Luigi Sardi – bass
- Gabriel Scholis-Fernandez – drums
- Jack Skuller – vocals and guitar
- Baer, Marilyn (3 September 2017), "'Meet The Skullers' Local student debuts EP, will play Maxwell's", Hudson Reporter, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Frahm, Jonathan (21 September 2017), "The Skullers - 'Meet the Skullers' (album stream) (premiere)", PopMatters, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Impose Staff (2017), "Track x Track: The Skullers - "Meet the Skullers"", Impose, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Louie, Tim (22 November 2017), "North Jersey Notes – The Skullers", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Makin, Bob (25 September 2017), "Makin Waves Scene Report with North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, the return of New Brunswick's Oktoberfest, Screaming Females, Nervous Triggers, Dinosaur Eyelids, Jay's Jersey Jams, and much more", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Makin, Bob (1 March 2018), "Makin Waves Scene Report with Bobby Mahoney and the Seventh Son, The Skullers, Tapia and more", Institute for Nonprofit News, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Pirate! Staff (2017), "The Skullers - Meet the Skullers", Pirate!, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Testa, Jim (2017), "Top Albums of 2017", Jersey Beat, retrieved 21 February 2019
- WRAT Staff (1 October 2017), "Jersey Rock Band of the Week: The Skullers", WRAT, retrieved 21 February 2019