Morelli Law Firm
|File:Morelli firm 2020.jpeg|
|Headquarters||New York, NY|
|Company type||Professional limited liability company|
Morelli Law Firm is an American professional limited liability company based in New York that works on civil litigation cases, mass torts and class action suits. The firm is best known for representing comedian Tracy Morgan after he was airlifted to a New Jersey hospital for injuries sustained from a multiple vehicle collision by a Walmart transport-truck driver. The case made national news due to Morgan's public stature and Walmart's notoriety as the largest company in the world. It was settled for an undisclosed amount in May 2015, and in June 2017, Walmart's insurers attempted to challenge the agreement.
In 2011, Morelli Law Firm represented an Aaron's Inc. store clerk who had been sexually harassed and assaulted by her supervisor. The plaintiff claimed that Aaron's had knowledge of the events and that it violated the company's sexual harassment policies. The federal case was tried in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois and the jury awarded $95 million to the plaintiff, the largest sexual harassment settlement ever. In 2015, the firm represented passengers of the Philadelphia Amtrak derailment and received a $265 million settlement after more than a year of litigation. It was the largest settlement for a passenger railroad crash in U.S. history and led Congress to retroactively raise the liability cap from $200 million due to the number of deaths and injuries. In 2019, Morelli Law Firm settled a suit against MGM National Harbor, a resort in Maryland that opened with an electrified handrail which was touched by a six-year-old, resulting in a debilitating brain injury for the child. The firm was founded in 1998 and has totaled more than $1 billion in damages, including the largest vaccine verdict at $22.5 million.
- Dawn, Randee (2015-05-28). "Tracy Morgan's lawyer: Actor 'has a new lease on life'". TODAY.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Petit, Stephanie (2017-06-06). "Tracy Morgan's Lawyer Denies $90 Million Settlement". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Insurers challenge Walmart's settlement with Tracy Morgan". CBS News. 2017-06-06. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Flood, Amelia (2011-06-10). "Woman wins $95 million in sexual harassment suit against ex-boss, Aaron's Rents". Madison - St. Clair Record. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Britton, Charles (2020-05-31). "How Common Are Train Accidents?". baltimorepostexaminer.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Amtrak to pay $265M for Philly crash". Williamsport Sun-Gazette. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Bui, Lynh; Alexander, Keith L. (2019-12-05). "Settlement in MGM resort electric-shock case that severely injured young girl". Washington Post. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Chason, Rachel; Morse, Dan (2019-03-08). "Girl electrocuted at MGM National Harbor still can't speak or walk, lawyer says". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Best Lawyers in New York 2020". Best Lawyers. New York. 2019-11-18. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Mark, Fass (2009-04-02). "Polio Victim's 30-Year Crusade Garners $22.5 Million Award". Law.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
This article "Morelli Law Firm" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Morelli Law Firm. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.