Music Is the Weapon
|Music Is the Weapon|
|🏷️ Label||Mad Decent|
|Singles from Music Is the Weapon|
Music Is the Weapon is the unreleased fourth studio album by American electronic band Major Lazer. First announced in 2015, many conflicting statements have been made, with the latest reports being that it will be the final Major Lazer album.
Background and singles
On April 27, 2015, Diplo revealed in an interview with Belgian radio station Studio Brussel that they have been working on a track with Belgian singer Selah Sue. He added that it might appear on their next album. Selah Sue herself confirmed this during an interview with Studio Brussels on May 4, 2015. In May 2015, Major Lazer revealed their fourth album would be called Music Is the Weapon.
A number of Major Lazer's singles released since the album's announcement have been reported to be on the album by journalists. "Cold Water" was released on July 22, 2016, featuring Justin Bieber and frequent Major Lazer collaborator MØ. The song received widespread airplay and made it a number one hit on the UK Singles Chart. Following the success of the song, leaked collaborations with singers Sia and Bonnie McKee were announced, as well as teasing collaborations with former Fifth Harmony girl band member Camila Cabello and alternative R&B singer PartyNextDoor. August 2016 the band's member Diplo teased on social media that he was working with Benny Blanco on a collab with American singer Ariana Grande, who was featured in the two short clips as well. The band also confirmed that they were collaborating with artists The Weeknd and Travis Scott.
On September 30, 2016, "Believer", was released as a collaboration with Showtek. In December 2016, it was announced that a song from the album, "Run Up" featuring Nicki Minaj and PartyNextDoor, would be released as a single. Several days later, on December 6, 2016, the promotional single "My Number" was released, in collaboration with the newly formed band Bad Royale. It features uncredited vocals from Toots & The Maytals. On June 1, 2017, "Know No Better" featuring Travis Scott, Camila Cabello and Quavo, was released as the fourth single from the album. Also in June 2017, Diplo stated in an interview with Billboard: "I shifted my goal to just make singles, because no one really buys our albums". Despite this, outlets such as NME continued to report through 2017 that the album was scheduled for a 2018 release. Reports surfaced in January 2018 that the album would be released the following March, but it remains unreleased as of October 2018. According to Forbes, the songs released so far are reportedly to be on the album, but have not received official confirmation. In an interview with Complex in September 2018, Diplo said that he thought the album would be released in 2019, and would be the last Major Lazer album.
The album's release has been met with anticipation from a number of music and media outlets. Rolling Stone and WhatCulture listed it on its most anticipated albums of 2017 list. Complex named the album their 38th most-anticipated album of 2018. Idolator and Forbes also named it one of their most anticipated albums of 2018.
|1.||"Cold Water" (featuring Justin Bieber and MØ)||3:05|
|2.||"Believer" (with Showtek)||3:44|
|3.||"My Number" (with Bad Royale)||3:19|
|4.||"Run Up" (featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR and Nicki Minaj)||3:23|
|5.||"Know No Better" (featuring Travis Scott, Camila Cabello and Quavo)||3:45|
- "MAJOR LAZER NEEMT NUMMER OP MET SELAH SUE". Studio Brussel. April 27, 2015. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- "Major Lazer Name New Album 'Music Is the Weapon'". Exclaim!. May 29, 2015. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- McIntyre, Hugh. "Major Lazer Has Been Talking About A New Album For 2 Years... So Where Is It?". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Grant, Sarah (July 22, 2016). "Diplo on 'Spontaneous' Song With Justin Bieber 'Cold Water'". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Electro music group Major Lazer makes a splash with new single, Cold Water". New Straits Times. September 30, 2016. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "Listen to Major Lazer's New Single "Know No Better," f/ Travis Scott, Quavo, and Camila Cabello". Complex. June 1, 2017. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- Ringen, Jonathan (June 22, 2017). "How Major Lazer Bet on Diversity (and Data) to Make Global Hits: 'The Audience Controls Music Now'". Billboard. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Major Lazer surprise fans with new track 'Go Dung' - NME". December 27, 2017. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Bein, Kat (January 9, 2018). "Major Lazer's 'Music Is the Weapon' Release Date & Tracklist Remain Unconfirmed". Billboard. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- McNeilage, Ross (January 9, 2018). "A New Ariana Grande and Major Lazer Collab Is Reportedly Happening". MTV News. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Diplo Says the Next Major Lazer Album Might Be Their Last". September 26, 2018.
- Gehr, Christopher R. Weingarten,Jon Freeman,Brittany Spanos,Suzy Exposito,Joseph Hudak,Mosi Reeves,Kory Grow,Keith Harris,Richard (January 9, 2017). "63 Most Anticipated Albums of 2017". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "10 Most Anticipated Albums Still To Come In 2017". June 27, 2017. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "The Most Anticipated Albums of 2018Major Lazer, 'Music Is The Weapon'". Complex. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "» From Selena Gomez To Beyonce: The Most Anticipated Albums Of 2018". www.idolator.com. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- McIntyre, Hugh. "The Most Anticipated Dance/Electronic Albums Of 2018". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
This article "Music Is the Weapon" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Music Is the Weapon. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.