Nanda Kumar Jayakumar
|Nanda Kumar Jayakumar|
|Other names||Nanda Kumar Jayakumar|
|🏫 Education||Master of Science in Computer Science|
Information Technology executive
💵 Salary :
|Data, Big data, Distributed Systems|
Nandu Jayakumar is an information technology executive and computer programmer based in San Francisco, California. He joined Oracle Corporation as VP of Engineering in 2017. He is best known for his contributions to the field of Big Data and for speaking   and writing about managing data at large scale.
He has advocated the use of open source software beyond relational databases and techniques borrowed from columnar databases research in Big Data practice. He has been interviewed about Data Science and Open Source by KDnuggets. He is a frequent critic of the abuse of Internet privacy of users by global technology companies. Jayakumar has held positions at Yahoo!, Visa Inc, and Oracle Corp.
Early Life and education
Nandu Jayakumar was born in India. He first learned to program at the Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum in Bangalore. He continued to express a strong interest in assembling and programming computers eventually leading to a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communications engineering at Bangalore University.
At Stanford University, Nandu earned a Master’s degree in Computer Science. Whilst there he specialized in Databases and conducted research in storage systems at the data centre scale.
At Stanford he also built software for the The Bill Lane Centre for the American West and took classes at the Stanford d.schoo] as well as the Graduate school of Business.
- Conceived and built Yahoo’s first flat-file data warehouse with over 5 petabytes and thousands of data sets, became primary source of analytical data at Yahoo and built key pieces of Yahoo’s data processing platforms and tools through their several iterations.
- Built distributed data applications to track all web traffic, manage user profiles and demographics
- Wrote and maintained widely used libraries and tools for disk I/O, parallel processing.
- Designed and built cloud computing platforms for data transport and management at datacenter scale for Hadoop.
- Built Visa’s centralized data platform for managing and processing enterprise-wide analytical data.
- Was instrumental in defining the vision and setting the blueprints for the Long Term Architecture of Data at Visa.
Since 2017, Nandu Jayakumar has held the position of Vice President of Engineering Analytics at Oracle Corp. He was responsible for the implementation of the following amongst others:
- Focus on building Autonomous services and advanced analytics on Big Data These services help organizations easily build and deploy modern applications, as well as integrate and analyze critical organizational data.
Contributions to field of Big Data
He has spoken often at major data conferences including O'Reilly Strata. He spoke at NYU in 2013 about the challenges in a large-scale data ecosystem. KDNuggets featured his views on major challenges & trends in enterprise Big Data implementations, and advantages of using Apache Spark.
His inventions are both related to user interactions on web pages. One proposes an approach to correlate different types on activity on a webpage while the other is in the area of tracking beacons. These approaches are widely used to deliver web content in a manner that preserves consistency across a large number of webpages on behalf of a user.
- "O'Reilly Strata Conference Speaker Profile".
- "John Ousterhout at Stanford Computer Science Forum 2011 - RAMCloud: The Future of Datacenter Storage?" (PDF).
- Swipe, dip, and hover: Managing card payment data at Visa. O'Reilly Strata + Hadoop World Conference 2017. March 16, 2017.
- Beyond Hadoop MapReduce: Interactive Advertising Insights with Spark @ Yahoo!. O'Reilly Strata Conference 2014.
- "Cloudera Vision Blog - Customer Insights".
- "O'Reilly Strata 2016 - Managing card payment data at Visa".
- Nanda Kumar Jayakumar; Diego Ongaro; Stephen Rumble; Ryan Stutsman; John Ousterhout; Mendel Rosenblum (February 16, 2011). RAMCloud: Scalable storage system in memory. 9th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies. USENIX.
- "San Francisco Hadoop User Group (Aug 2014) Choosing a file format for Yahoo's largest data set: New data serialization on Hadoop]".
- "KDnuggets Interview with Nandu Jayakumar - Yahoo Big Data".
- "KDnuggets Interview with Nandu Jayakumar - Success in Big Data".
- "KDnuggets Awards".
- "Events" (PDF). forum.stanford.edu. 2011.
- "Interview: Nandu Jayakumar, Yahoo on How Yahoo is Harnessing Big Data".
- "It's Time for Low Latency Stephen M. Rumble, Diego Ongaro, Ryan Stutsman, Mendel Rosenblum, and John K. Ousterhout Stanford University - pdf download" (PDF). usenix.org.
- "RAMCloud: Scalable High-Performance Storage Entirely in DRAM John Ousterhout Stanford University (with Nandu Jayakumar, Diego Ongaro, Mendel Rosenblum, - ppt download". slideplayer.com.
- "Optimizing the data warehouse at Visa".
- "Swipe, Dip & Hover Presentation".
- "Oracle Delivers Next Set of Autonomous Cloud Platform Services". Oracle.
- "NYU Wasserman Center Career Development features Nandu Jayakumar speaking about challenges in a large-scale data ecosystem".
- "US Patent - Accelerated and reproducible domain visitor targeting".
- "US Patent - System and method for identifying a link and generating a link identifier for the link on a webpage".
- US 8200816 "US Patent - Accelerated and reproducible domain visitor targeting"
- US 9912766 "US Patent - System and method for identifying a link and generating a link identifier for the link on a webpage"
- GitHub contributions
This article "Nanda Kumar Jayakumar" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Nanda Kumar Jayakumar. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.