|Born: October 10, 1985|
St. Louis, Missouri
Nick Schmidt (born October 10, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. Schmidt was drafted by the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball with the 23rd overall pick in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He played college baseball for the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Early life and college
Nick Schmidt was born in St. Louis, Missouri and attended St. John Vianney High School. Schmidt attended the University of Arkansas, where he was named a second team All-American in 2006 while a sophomore. During the 2006 season, he had a 9–3 record with a 3.01 ERA in 117 innings. Schmidt was the 2006 Southeastern Conference pitcher of the year as a sophomore. He enjoyed success while on the Arkansas' campus, being named an All-American as a freshman. Schmidt is the all-time strikeout leader at Arkansas. His range in speed is comfortably in the 88–92 mph range and also includes a solid slider and changeup, which provides a three-pitch system for Schmidt. He has the ability along with the size and strength to survive long innings while maintaining good velocity, and the natural pitching ability of Schmidt gives him the ability to get batters out even without his very best stuff.
Schmidt was drafted by the San Diego Padres with the 23rd overall pick of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft and signed with the Padres as on June 28, 2007. In that year, he made his professional debut with the Class A Fort Wayne Wizards of the Midwest League, appearing in three games. Schmidt missed the entire 2008 season after having reconstructive surgery on his elbow. He spent the 2009 season playing with both Fort Wayne and the Lake Elsinore Storm, compiling a combined 6–8 record with a 5.24 ERA and 1.72 WHIP. The 2010 season was spent with Class A+ Lake Elsinore, where he went 6–9 with a 4.24 ERA and 1.97 WHIP. In 2011, Schmidt appeared again with Lake Elsinore as well as with the rookie-league Arizona League Padres. He had a combined 4–6 record with a 3.91 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP.
- MLB.com 2007 Draft Tracker
- Minor League Baseball: Events: 2007 Draft Report
- Draft Report for Nick Schmidt
- Fitt, Aaron (June 13, 2006). "2006 College All-America Team". Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Scout.com, Padres sign first-rounder Nick Schmidt, retrieved 2007-07-08
- http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=675&draftId=5 Scouting Report for Nick Schmidt
- Career statistics and player information from Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors) Warning: Template:Baseballstats cube= parameter should be updated to a numeric value.
- Padres page
- Nick Schmidt Named First Team All-America
This article "Nick Schmidt" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Nick Schmidt. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.