Northern Somali Unionist Movement
|Northern Somali Unionist Movement|
|Participant in Somali Civil War|
|Leaders||Mohamed Ali Mirreh|
|Area of operations||Northern Somalia|
The Northern Somali Unionist Movement (NSUM) is a Somali nationalist organization.
The Northern Somali Unionist Movement's members and supporters mainly hail from the northern Sool, Sanaag and Cayn (SSC) regions of Somaliland, areas that were a part of the British Somaliland protectorate during the colonial period and the Warsangali Sultanate prior to that.
NSUM says that it stands for the promotion of peace, reconciliation and unity among all people from Somalia. The organization does not recognize the independence of Somaliland, a self-declared republic that is internationally recognized as an autonomous region of Somalia. NSUM also opposes the 2007 occupation of the Sool province by Somaliland troops.
NSUM militants were involved in the 2010 Ayn clashes between themselves and joint Ethiopian and Somaliland forces near Widwid, in the Cayn region of Somalia.
According to the NSUM, its defining principles are:
- Defend Somali unity at the international, interregional, and national levels and counter secession and other threats to Somali unity particularly in the NW region where one clan has declared secession from Somalia[...]
- Promote peace within the SSC regions and with other neighbouring clans[...]
- Promote the unity of the people in the SSC regions, strengthen the traditional institutions and assist in conflict prevention and resolution[...]
- Through relevant information dissemination, enhance the awareness of the people in the SSC regions on critical matters relating to their welfare such peace, health, education and good neighbourliness with other regions[...]
- Promote good governance, democracy, human rights and the rule of law at the SSC and national levels[...]
- Promote the socio-economic and political development of the SSC regions in collaboration with development partners at the national and international level[...]
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- Puntland–Somaliland dispute
- Khatumo State
- NSUM - About us Archived 2012-02-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Warsangeli Sultanate
- Somaliland’s Quest for International Recognition and the HBM-SSC Factor Archived 2012-05-28 at the Wayback Machine
|This Somalia-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This article on military history is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Northern Somali Unionist Movement" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Northern Somali Unionist Movement. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.