|Born||September 16, 1985|
|🏡 Residence||Union, New Jersey|
|Kean University, Washington University in St. Louis|
💵 Salary :
|🏛️ Political party||Democratic Party|
Peter Jacob (born September 16, 1985) is as an Indian-American social worker and Democratic Party political candidate.
He was the 2016 Democratic Party candidate in New Jersey's 7th congressional district who ran against incumbent Leonard Lance. Jacob garnered 43% of the vote; Lance was re-elected with 55%. Jacob is a candidate for the Democratic nomination to represent the district in the United States House of Representatives in the 2018 election.
Early life and education
Jacob was born September 16, 1985, in Vazhoor in the Kottayam district in the state of Kerala, India. He was raised in Union, New Jersey, in an Indian-American family who had emigrated to the U.S. in 1985 when he was an infant. He attended Union County College. He has a bachelor’s degree in sociology from Kean University and a Master of Social Work from the George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University in St. Louis.
Social work career
Jacob began his professional career as a social worker after receiving his master's degree. His work history includes being the coordinator of Operation Warm Heart, which provides meals and shelter for the homeless during the winter. He said that his campaign "is a continuation of my social service [for the community]."
U.S. House campaigns
In 2016, Jacob ran in New Jersey's 7th Congressional District against Republican incumbent Leonard Lance. Jacob decided to run after witnessing through his social work the "challenges that many marginalized communities faced." He saw the main problem as being "special, corporate, corrupt interests being put above the people's..."
During the campaign, his home was twice vandalized with swastikas. The vandalism became a political point of conflict in the election. Jacob called it a result of "rhetoric that we are hearing nationally..."
Jacob received 45,272 votes, which was more votes than any other candidate had ever received in a primary in the 7th Congressional District.
In the general election on November 8, 2016, Jacob lost with 43% of the vote, the most votes for a Democrat in the district's history; Lance won with 54% of the vote (Jacob received 148,188 votes, and Lance received 185,850 votes).
On February 22, 2017, Jacob said that he was "pretty positive" he would run in the 2018 United States House of Representatives election. On June 20, 2017, he announced the launch of an exploratory committee for a potential campaign.  In the primary he will face David Pringle, Tom Malinowski, and activist attorney Goutam Jois.
Lance has called Jacob a "socialist".
- ALBANESE Jr., GIOVANNI. "Peter Jacob Hoping to Win New Jersey Congressional Seat With Focus on Public Service". India West. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Progressive Newcomer Aims to Win Congressional Seat in Lance's CD7". politickernj.com. December 22, 2015. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Jacob pursuing American dream straight to Congress". Morristown Daily Record. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Peter Jacob, MSW '10, is Running for Congress". Washington University in Saint Louis. October 24, 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Varghese, George K. (October 17, 2016). "Indian American in Congressional run faces racist ire". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Albanese Jr., Giovanni. "Peter Jacob Turns Focus to New Jersey 7th Congressional General Election". www.indiawest.com. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Indian-American running for Congress seat in New Jersey - Times of India". Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Winter shelter warms Union County's homeless". nj.com.
- "New Jersey Congressional Candidate Peter Jacob, full interview". trofire.com.
- "Our Revolution Endorsements Peter Jacob". Our Revolution. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Bernie Sanders endorses Indian American Peter Jacob running for US Congress". www.usinpac.com. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Bernie Sanders endorses Indian-American Congressional candidate". Times of India. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Indian-American Peter Jacob, running for US Congress, gets huge donations". The Economic Times. November 3, 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Swastikas painted at candidate's home reflect hate-filled election, he says". The Star- Ledger. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Home Of Indian-American Running For Congress Vandalised". ndtv.com. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Brush, Chase (October 12, 2016). "Hate Crime Heightens Tensions in Already Divisive 7th District". NJ Spotlight. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Swastikas reported outside home of N.J. congressional candidate". CBS News. October 11, 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "CD 7 Candidate Jacob's Record Breaking Primary". patch.com.
- "New Jersey U.S. House 7th District Results: Leonard Lance Wins". The New York Times. August 1, 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Angry crowd dogs Lance over Obamacare and Trump at town hall meeting". NJ.com.
- "Peter Jacob Announces 2018 Exploratory Committee". YouTube.com.
- Pizarro, Max (June 23, 2016). "Lance Campaign Uncorks 'Socialist' Tag on Challenger Jacob". Observer. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "Candidates". Justice Democrats. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Jacob Nabs Justice Democrats Nomination in Crowded CD7 Democratic Field". INSIDERNJ.
- "Peter Jacob Announcement, Dec 1st" (Press release). Brand New Congress. December 1, 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
This article "Peter Jacob" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Peter Jacob. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.