R. Laurence Berkowitz
|R. Laurence Berkowitz M.D.|
|🏫 Education||University of Michigan, Ohio State University College of Medicine|
💵 Salary :
R. Laurence Berkowitz M.D. is an American surgeon specialized in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Berkowitz was born in Ohio and decided to become a plastic surgeon during his childhood, when he learned the story of his father, who could not have had a cleft lip surgery when he was a baby, because his parents could not afford the services of a surgeon.
He graduated with honors in art history at University of Michigan. Then, he oriented his career towards medicine, obtaining his Doctor degree at the Ohio State University College of Medicine, and plastic surgery degree at University of Michigan. Postdoctoral training includes a Christine Kleinert Fellow in hand surgery at the University of Louisville and a Research Fellow in plastic surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine; he made his general surgery and plastic surgery residences at the University of Michigan.
Berkowitz was director of the Burn Unit at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, and for more than two decades, he worked with the Interplast Organization performing repair surgeries of cleft lip and palate for children.
He performs his private activity in Silicon Valley. Berkowitz's principle contributions to plastic surgery have been in the field of rhinoplasty. His first was introducing the concept of treating the nose as an architectural barrel vault, mimicking nature, rather than as a pyramid as was the custom. This was presented to The Rhinoplasty Society in 1996 at their meeting in San Francisco. The "spreader flap technique" as it came to be known has become the standard for treatment of the cartilaginous section of the nose.
His second contribution has been introduction of the high frequency power tools to replace the long accepted use of hammer's and chisel. This was presented to the Rhinoplasty Society annual meeting in 2006. The transition to power tools and especially the ultra high frequency piezo electric tools has been a slow process over the past decade but promises to revolutionize the way rhinoplasty is performed.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- California Society of Plastic Surgeons
- California Medical Association
- Santa Clara County Medical Society
- Rhinoplasty Society (Board of Directors)
- 2009, 2010 and 2013: Metro Silicon Valley’s Best Plastic Surgeon award
- Listed as Top Plastic Surgeons 2015
- Berkowitz, R.L., Gruber, R.P., “Management of the Nasal Dorsum: Construction and Maintenance of a Barrel Vault”, Clinics in Plastic Surgery, Rhinoplasty: A Multispecialty Approach, Vol 43, January 2016, pp 59
- Gruber, R.P., Park, E., Newman, J., Berkowitz, R.L., Oneal, R., “The Spreader Flap in Primary Rhinoplasty”, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Journal: Vol 119, No 6, May 2007, pp 1903.
- Berkowitz, R.L., Apfelberg, D.B., Gorman, P.J. “Brow Fixation with the Endotine Forehead Device in Endoscopic Brow Lift”, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Journal: Vol 116, No 6, Nov 2005, pp 1761.
- Berkowitz, R.L., Apfelberg, D. “Midface Lift Technique With Use of a Biodegradable Device for Tissue Elevation & Fixation”, Aesthetic Surgery Journal: July/August 2005, pp. 376.
- Lebovic, G., Laub, D., Berkowitz, R.L., “Aesthetic Approach to Simple and Modified Radical Mastectomy”, Contemporary Surgery: July 1994, pp 15.
- Barnett, A., Berkowtiz, R. L., Mills, R., Vistnes, L., “Comparison of Synthetic Adhesive Moisture Vapor Permeable and Fine Mesh Guaze Dressing for Split-Thickness Skin Graft Donor Sites”, The American Journal of Surgery: Vol 145, March 1983, pp 379.
- Barnett, A., Berkowitz, R. L., Mulls, R., Vistnes, L., “Scalp as Skin Graft Donor Site: Rapid Re-use with Synthetic Adhesive Moisture Vapor Permeable Dressings”, The Journal of Trauma: Vol 23, No 2, Feb 1983, pp 148.
- Berkowitz, R. L., “Burns” section chapter 29, “Disorders Due to Physical Agents” in Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, 1982. Krupp, M.A. and Chatton, M.C., editors, Lange Medical Publications, Los Altos, California 94022.
- Consultant, Chapter 51 “Burns” by Feller, I. et al., In Prognosis: Contemporary Outcome of Disease, Fries, J. F. and Ehrlich, G. E., editors, The Charles Press Publisher, Bowie, Maryland 20715, 1981.
- Author of “Burns – A Preventable Disease” in Health tips, two part article published by the California Medical Association for the public, October, November 1981.
- Berkowitz, R. L., “Scalp: In Search of the Perfect Donor Site”, Annals of P. S.: Vol 7, No 2, Aug 1981, pp 126.
- Berkowitz, R. L., Hentz, R.V. “Herpetic Whitlow a Nonsurgical Infection of the Hand”, P. & R. Surg: July 1977
- "R. Laurence Berkowitz, M.D. - The Rhinoplasty Society". www.rhinoplastysociety.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Meet Dr. R. Laurence Berkowitz – Plastic Surgeon San Jose, Silicon Valley | Aesthetx". Aesthetx. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Meet Dr. R. Laurence Berkowitz – Plastic Surgeon San Jose, Silicon Valley | Aesthetx". Aesthetx. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "R. Laurence Berkowitz M.D.: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "About Dr. Berkowitz". www.megadyne.com. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Dr. Laurence Berkowitz" (PDF). filacp2016.org.
- "Dr. R. Laurence Berkowitz". NewBeauty. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Gruber, Ronald P.; Perkins, Stephen W. (2010-04-01). "Humpectomy and Spreader Flaps". Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 37 (2): 285–291. doi:10.1016/j.cps.2009.12.004. ISSN 0094-1298.
- Spieler, Geri (2017-06-10). "The "Nose Job" Takes a Giant Leap in New Technology". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Doctor's P.R. & Medical News (2012-12-21), Rhinoplasty Campbell, San Jose CA Provider R. Laurence Berkowitz, M.D., retrieved 2017-11-30
- "Rhinoplasty surgery technique, painless procedure". ABC7 Chicago. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Modern Techniques in Rhinoplasty for Everyone: Lecture & Cadaver Lab". Plastic Surgery The Meeting. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "PSEN University – Session 1 &2 Outline - Rhinoplasty Essentials with Dr. Berkowitz". psenetwork.org. Missing or empty
- "Find a Plastic Surgeon | American Society of Plastic Surgeons". find.plasticsurgery.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "R. Laurence Berkowitz MD". www.smartbeautyguide.com. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "California Society of Plastic Surgeons". California Society of Plastic Surgeons. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "View Physician Profile - Find a CMA Physician - California Medical Association". www.cmanet.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Santa Clara County Medical Association > For Patients > Physician Search > Physician Info". www.sccma-mcms.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Board". www.rhinoplastysociety.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
This article "R. Laurence Berkowitz" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.