Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade
The Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade (RCYB) was the former youth group of the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA.
The group was launched in 1977
It was founded as the Attica Brigade, and then was renamed the Revolutionary Student Brigade. RCYB’s ultimate objective is to help create “a world of for-real Communism; a world where a few rich nations don’t oppress and dominate the globe; where whites don’t lord over non-whites; where men don’t dominate over women; and where one class of people doesn’t exploit the rest.”
During its existence, the most famous member of the RCYB was Gregory Lee "Joey" Johnson. During the 1984 Republican National Convention in Dallas, Texas, he burned the United States flag to protest the policies of the Reagan administration. Johnson was arrested and convicted, but had his conviction overturned on appeal. The State of Texas then sought and obtained review by the Supreme Court. In Texas v. Johnson, a five-justice majority of the court held that Johnson’s act of flag burning was protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
In 1978 Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade published Minorities and whites, unite to smash the Bakke decision!
In 1979 they protested nuclear weapons.
In 1989 Antonin Scalia and four others justices ruled that a Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade member's right to burn the US flag was a protected right.
In 1991 they protested American involvement in the Persian Gulf, and members were arrested.
- "Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade Founded!". Revolution. Dec 1977. p. 1.
- "Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade (RCYB)". Terrorism Research & Analysis Consortium. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
- "Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade Formed". Encyclopedia of Anti-Revisionism On-Line. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
- "Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade - AbeBooks". www.abebooks.com. Retrieved 2022-03-24.
- Frazier, Patrick (1979-05-06). "Anti-nuclear protesters from the Revolutionary Communist Party and Youth Brigade hold a sign that reads "The bomb will not destroy man, man will destroy the bomb!" attributed to Mao Tse-Tung at a demonstration on the U.S. Capitol Grounds in Washington, D."
- "Los Angeles Review of Books". Los Angeles Review of Books. 2018-08-15. Retrieved 2022-03-24.
- Galil, Leor (2018-02-23). "What caused the melee outside a Public Enemy and Sonic Youth show at the Aragon in 1990?". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2022-03-24.
|File:Yclstub.png||This communist youth movement-related article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States political party is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.