Rohtas Educational and Associated Programs
|Purpose||Empowerment of village peoples|
|Rohtas District, Bihar, India|
|Fr. Stephenraj, SJ|
|Affiliations||Society of Jesus (SJ)|
Notre Dame Sisters (SND)
REAP was founded in 1989 and became a registered society in 1991, working throughout the Rohtas District. It sees as its mission "to empower the poor and marginalized through a process of community empowerment leading to integral development and structural change." Many of its initiatives involve awareness raising and community organization, helping communities to help themselves through the strength that comes through numbers. Notre Dame Sisters are a part of REAP's staff.
Its work has been directed largely toward women, children, and Dalits. REAP was the District Resource Unit for Bihar Education Project (BEP) and is a member of the District Education Committee. REAP manages 135 non-formal educational centers, two cultural troupes, two primary schools, four remedial teaching centers and a health center serving 250 patients daily. It is a member of the governing body of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, ATMA, DRDA, and District Minority Commission. Specific initiatives include:
- Grassroots mobilization and advocacy in collaboration with National Centre for Advocacy Studies (NCAS) Pune.
- Strengthening of village assembly rule
- Formation of community based organizations to increase financial security and economic clout, including entrepreneurship programs for livelihood promotion for about 120 women's self help groups.
- Total Sanitation Campaign (constructing toilets), in conjunction with the government (SGSY).
- Intervention on behalf of children working in the stone quarries, including literacy and rehabilitation.
- A central library for children and youth, with branches in the villages.
- Community health with an emphasis on prevention and home remedies.
- Micro enterprise developments for women.
- Strengthening local governance organizations like PRI, VEC, AWCs.
- Community activation through street plays, awareness songs, audio-visuals.
- Lifting up the culture at times of feasts and festivals, local and national.
- List of Jesuit development centres
- Registration No. 841 of 1991-92 dated December 3, 1991
- Patna Jesuits
- "Welcome to REAP(Reach Education Action Programme)". Welcome to REAP(Reach Education Action Programme). Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- "christians help government literacy plan in east india". ucanews.com. August 11, 1993. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- "REAP Plans for a Rich Harvest". Jesuits in Social Action. October 28, 2009. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- Baru, R.V. (2008). School Health Services in India: The Social and Economic Contexts. SAGE Publications. p. 8. ISBN 978-81-7829-873-3. Retrieved May 26, 2016. Search this book on
This article "Rohtas Educational and Associated Programs" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Rohtas Educational and Associated Programs. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.