Sgt. Johnson (Halo)
|Voiced by||David Scully|
|Affiliation||UNSC Marine Corps|
Search Sgt. Johnson (Halo) on Amazon.
Avery Junior Johnson (also known as Sgt. Johnson) is a fictional character in the Halo series. He is one of the main supporting characters in Halo: Combat Evolved (2001), and its sequels Halo 2 (2004) and Halo 3 (2007). He most recently appeared in Halo Wars 2 (2017). He is voiced by David Scully in all installments.
Avery Junior Johnson is a Marine sergeant major who leads human forces against alien assaults throughout the Halo series. The character is voiced by David Scully. Johnson and a few other Marines survive the destruction of Installation 04 and are rescued by Cortana and the Master Chief during the novel Halo: First Strike.
Johnson is featured in The Halo Graphic Novel story, "Breaking Quarantine," which details Johnson's escape from the Flood in Halo: Combat Evolved, and a main character in the 2007 novel Halo: Contact Harvest. Johnson later appears as a main character in Halo: Silent Storm where it's revealed that he's a Spartan-I, a precursor to the Spartan-II program that the Master Chief is a part of. Taking place about a year after Contact Harvest, Johnson is recruited to be a part of a strike force launching a counterattack behind enemy lines to buy humanity some time. Johnson is recruited both for his experience with the Covenant and his Spartan training and acts as a mentor and friend to the young Master Chief, becoming one of the few people the Spartans trust implicitly on the mission where insurrectionists are trying to destroy them and they can't be sure of whom to trust.
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Halo 2 (2004)
Johnson plays a much larger role in Halo 2, joining forces with the Arbiter to stop Tartarus from activating Installation 05. In Halo 2, he is awarded the Colonial Cross for his heroic actions at Installation 04. Johnson once again fights alongside the Chief and a few Marines as they escape the Cairo Orbital grid platform. They land on Earth and fight off the covenant after a crash landing. He ends up helping destroy the Scarab that storms the streets and then is on In Amber Clad when they jump into slipspace following a covenant ship. He then is captured by Tartaras while trying to retrieve the index alongside with Miranda Keyes, Daughter of Jacob Keyes. After being caught they soon find themselves helpoing the Arbiter fight to stop Tarturas and stop the activating of the second Halo.
Halo 3 (2007)
In Halo 3, the Forerunner construct 343 Guilty Spark kills him when Johnson tries to activate the incomplete Halo at the Ark.
In many ways similar to the stereotype of charismatic black Marines found in other science fiction (such as Sergeant Apone in Aliens whom Johnson was partially based on), some publications found Johnson, though enjoyable, somewhat of a flat character. In an interview for Halo: Contact Harvest, Joseph Staten of Bungie admitted that Johnson was a static character in Halo: Combat Evolved, and that despite the character's potential, "he sort of inherited those caricature aspects [from Halo]." Contact Harvest was a chance "to do right by Johnson, to give him the rich, fully fleshed out back-story he deserves, that we have never been able to give him in the game." He was ranked "S" tier by fans.
Johnson has received positive reviews from gaming critics. Screen Rant said of him: "He's exactly the kind of personality gamers loved to have at their side when playing through the main campaign of the Halo series, with a killer sense of humor and a take-no-prisoners approach to fighting fanatical bad guys the Covenant." KeenGamer commented on his role in Halo Wars 2 saying: "Johnson is an all round good hero unit to use in a variety of scenarios, he doesn't excel in any particular situation but he's also not necessarily at a disadvantage either. Fielding him early on allows for a very quick and mobile threat to make early pushes, in the late game his repair beacon ability means you can focus less on building nightingales or using the restoration drones ability and his variety of weaponry makes him a great asset in all types of engagements. His dialogue also acts as a great morale booster whether this increases win rates remains to be seen." The Top Tens ranked him #5 on their best Halo characters list, while WhatCulture ranked him sixth on their list.
- Characters of Halo
- "Sergeant Major Avery Junior Johnson (Character)". Giant Bomb.
- "Sgt. Johnson Fights Again in Halo Wars 2 on Xbox One and Windows 10". May 24, 2017.
- "Sergeant Major Avery Johnson Voices (Halo)". Behind The Voice Actors.
- Perry, Douglass (October 29, 2007). "The Halo Harvest Interview, Part 1". Gametap. Archived from the original on November 2, 2007. Retrieved July 8, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Halo Characters Tier List (Community Rank)". TierMaker.
- "Casting The Halo TV Series". ScreenRant. July 2, 2018.
- "A Guide to Legendary Halo Character Johnson for Halo Wars 2". KeenGamer. May 31, 2017.
- "Best Halo Characters". TheTopTens.
- Barron, Tom (January 20, 2014). "10 Best Characters From The Halo Universe". WhatCulture.com.
- "Halo Series 5 Sgt. Avery Johnson USNC Action Figure". Entertainment Earth.
- "McFarlane Toys HALO SGT. AVERY JOHNSON, UNSC". Rogue Toys.
- "McFarlane Halo Series 5 Sgt. Avery Johnson UNSC Action Figure". Walmart.com.
- "McFarlane Toys Halo 2009 Wave 2 - Series 5 Equipment Edition SGT. Avery Johnson, UNSC Figure - Buy Online in Kuwait. | mcfarlane toys Products in Kuwait - See Prices, Reviews and Free Delivery over KD 20.000 | Desertcart". www.desertcart.com.kw.
This article "Sgt. Johnson (Halo)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sgt. Johnson (Halo). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.