Sheldon Herzig is a Canadian ophthalmologist and laser eye surgeon who specializes in surgical vision correction. He is the co-founder and Medical Director of Herzig Eye Institute, a clinic that performs LASIK, PRK and SMILE among other procedures.
Herzig earned a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Toronto in 1969. Four years later, he earned his Medical Degree from the University of Toronto. After an internship in Internal Medicine at Women's College Hospital in Toronto, Herzig became a resident of Ophthalmology at his alma mater, the University of Toronto.
In 1977, Herzig became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada. The following year, he traveled to Dallas, Texas to complete a fellowship in Anterior Segment Surgery at Mary Shiels Eye Hospital.
Herzig was named as a Diplomat to the American Board of Ophthalmology and licensed to practice within the state of Texas in 1979.
Herzig is co-founder of the Herzig Eye Institute alongside Chief Executive Officer, Cherry Tabb, Herzig has treated more than 150,000 patients in Canada, 42 states in the USA and in 23 countries.
Herzig has trained cataract and refractive surgeons. Herzig has been invited to speak at conferences including the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting, and the Ontario Association of Optometrists.
Herzing was instrumental in preparing the Recommended Guidelines for Laser Refractive Centres in Canada, and has evaluated surgical practices across Canada, assisting the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Serving as the president of the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery from 1998 through 2000, Herzig continues to lecture at the Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences at the University of Toronto.
Herzig recently[when?] introduced a groundbreaking solution in the area of laser vision correction titled SMILE. The SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) operation is a flap-less and minimally invasive procedure using a femtosecond laser to assist short-sighted patients, astigmatism, thin corneas, and dry eyes or contact lens intolerance. In 2011, the Herzig Eye Institute was the first center in North America to provide Lipiflow, a new treatment system for patients who suffer from Evaporative Dry Eye disease.
Herzig has been published in the Proceedings of the Ophthalmic Advisory Panel, Current Canadian Ophthalmic Practice, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Proceedings of the Second National Speakers, Medicopea OAD, Ocular Surgery News, Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Cornea 2008, and the Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today.
- "Herzig Eye Institute | Canadian Business Journal". Canadian Business Journal. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
Herzig Eye Institute (HEI) was co-founded in Toronto by Dr. Sheldon Herzig and Cherry Tabb in 1996.
- Herzig, Sheldon (2 March 2018). "Alumni Members - Department of Opthamology and Vision Sciences". University of Toronto.
- "Royal College Directory". Royal College Fellowship. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Sheldon Herzig, MD, FRCSC: Bio" (PDF). The Academy of Ophthalmic Education. January 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
...after which he completed a fellowship in corneal and cataract surgery at the Mary Shields Eye Hospital in Dallas, Texas, where he was trained in the most advanced micro-surgical techniques for cataract and refractive surgery.
- "Sheldon Herzig | American Board of Opthalmology". American Board of Opthalmology. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Herzig Eye Institute: Address & Principal Representative". Office of the Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Approaches to The Treatment of Dry Eye Disease". Clinical and Refractive Optometry. 2: 4–5. 16 November 2015 – via MediConcept Inc.
- "Improvement In Vision Quality is Attainable with the Visx CAP Method, Surgeon Says". Healio | Ocular Surgery News. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
According to presenter Sheldon Herzig, MD, who presented information here at the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons meeting...
- "Thermal Pulsation Offers Novel Option for Treating Dry Eye". Healio | Ocular Surgery News. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
...According to Sheldon Herzig, MD, the device may replace warm compresses, which tend to be ineffective because heat has to transfer through skin, muscle and insulating tarsal plate...
- "Ontario Association of Optometrists Speakers". Ontario Association of Optometrists. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Herzig Eye Institute Opens New Retinal Clinic". Excellence Canada. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Sheldon Herzig (CPSO# 26662)". The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Sheldon Herzig: Lecturer - Department of Opthalmology and Vision Sciences". University of Toronto. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Kenny, Caitlin (27 May 2016). "I Tried It: New Laser Eye Surgery". Flare. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Herzig Eye Institute now offering ReLEx SMILE minimally invasive, flapless laser vision correction procedure from ZEISS" (PDF). Zeiss. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Ashworth, Peter (9 June 2011). "Herzig Eye Institute First In North America To Introduce Lipiflow". Cision News Wire. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Herzig, Sheldon (April 1994). "Past and Present Problems with Foldable IOL's". Proceedings of the Opthalmic Advisory Panel: 82–87.
- Herzig, Sheldon (1984). "The Merits of Extracapsular Cataract Extraction". Current Canadian Opthalmic Practice. 2 (16): 26.
- Herzig, Sheldon (1 January 2008). "Photorefractive Keratectomy With 0.02% Mitomycin C for Treatment of Residual Refractive Errors After LASIK". Journal of Refractive Surgery. 1: S64–7 – via PubMed.
- Herzig, Sheldon (1984). "Design of a New Posterior Chamber Lens". Proceedings of the Second National Speakers Program: 17–24.
- Herzig, Sheldon (24 June 1995). "Techniques of Wound Construction". Medicopea OAD.
- Herzig, Sheldon (2001). "Mycobacterium keratitis following hyperopic laser in situ keratomileusis". Canadian Journal of Opthalmology. 36 (5): 272–274.
- Herzig, Sheldon (25 September 2007). "Sub-epithelial gas breakthrough during femtosecond laser flap creation for LASIK". British Journal of Opthalmology. 91 (10): 91 – via BMJ Journals.
- Herzig, Sheldon (27 April 2008). "Early Experience With Implantable Collamer Lens in the Management of Hyperopia after Radial Keratotomy". Cornea 2008. 27 (3): 302–304 – via Pub Med.
- Herzig, Sheldon (February 2012). "Dry Eye Clinics and Their Value". Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today.
- "Optometry Newsletter | University of Waterloo" (PDF). University of Waterloo. Fall 2006. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "University Of Waterloo School Of Optometry - Graduation Awards November 2008" (PDF). University Of Waterloo. November 2008. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
This article "Sheldon Herzig" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sheldon Herzig. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.