Sigma Beta Phi
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
|Sigma Beta Phi|
|Founded||February 28, 2008|
University of Ottawa
|Motto||Unity, Strength & Pride|
|Colors|| Black |
|Headquarters||85 University Private, Room 07|
Sigma Beta Phi Sorority, Inc (ΣΒΦ) is a Canadian local collegiate social sorority founded on February 28, 2008 by five undergraduate female students at the University of Ottawa. The organization claims to be the first bilingual and predominantly black sorority in Ontario.
History[edit | edit source]
Sigma Beta Phi Sorority, Inc was formed to:
- Help young women who share similar passions to unite their individual strengths
- Recognize and to accept their uniqueness in order to discover their full potential
- Promote solidarity among its sisters with the purpose of establishing a trusting environment
- Offer support in any aspect of our member's life
This sorority is recognized by the University of Ottawa Greek Council (UOGC). The UOGC's main focus is to unify the University of Ottawa's fraternities and sororities while actively promoting Greek Life on campus. UOGC consists of 3 fraternities and 8 sororities all working together to excel academically and socially during their time at the University of Ottawa. Each member of the UOGC is selected by their organization to help plan multiple social, athletic and philanthropic events during the school year.
Sigma Beta Phi Today[edit | edit source]
Sigma Beta Phi Sorority, Inc is now composed of both undergraduate and graduate female students from the University of Ottawa, York University and CEGEP and there are currently forty members.The primary goal is to promote female empowerment and successes both individually and collectively. Currently, there are two chapters a national graduate chapter called Sigma Alpha Alpha (ΣΑΑ) and an undergraduate chapter called Beta Alpha (ΒΑ) which is located at the University of Ottawa.
The sorority demonstrates female empowerment and success on its campuses, as well as in the community, through its pillars:
- High academic achievement
Since 2008, Sigma Beta Phi Sorority, Inc has organized and participated in many fundraisers for various causes, both locally and internationally.
In furtherance of the Sigma Beta Phi Sorority, Inc mandate to promote women's achievement through community involvement and volunteerism, the sorority organizes, participates and volunteer at a variety of events annually. The organizations Sigma has volunteered with since its inception include the Black Women's Civic Engagement Network (BWCEN) Youth Living the Dream Beyond Our Borders, Black History Ottawa, the Saint Lucian Ottawa Association, Adopt a Highway (with the Alpha Delta Xi and Nu Gamma Gamma chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity), the Red Cross, and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Additionally, each year the sorority organizes an event in honor of women for International Women’s Day with those who share our interest in improving the status of women.
The Step Up Program[edit | edit source]
The Step Up Program is a youth development project by the sorority aimed at encouraging a healthy lifestyle through dance and mentoring. The program provides the opportunity to be physically active, be inspired by older role young women, as well as explore their strengths, insecurities, and goals in a safe, bilingual and open-minded environment. The program began operation in the fall of 2011. According to the sorority, the goals of the Step Up program are to help each girl adopt a healthy lifestyle through step dance, open-minded discussions in a safe environment, and self-esteem building workshops.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Sigma Beta Phi Sorority". Sigma Beta Phi Sorority. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Organizations". University of Ottawa Greek Council. Archived from the original on 2014-02-25. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "About us". University of Ottawa Greek Council. Archived from the original on 2014-02-25. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Onyango, Sarah. "Sigma Beta Phi (ΣΒΦ) Sorority: celebrating sisterhood and the strength of women and girls!". Black Ottawa 411 ...Information for and about Ottawa's African & Caribbean communities. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- Onyango, Sarah. "Black Women's Civic Engagement Network". Black Ottawa 411 ...Information for and about Ottawa's African & Caribbean communities. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
[edit | edit source]
Sigma Beta Phi Sorority website
This article "Sigma Beta Phi" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sigma Beta Phi. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.