|📆 Years active||1990–present|
[ Awaiting further independent corroboration of the journalistic endorsements contained below. Contributors please note that interviews are not sufficient, there must be independent journalistic references. ] Simon Ogston is a New Zealand director and cinematographer, known for a series of documentaries about New Zealand music groups. His documentary style combines intimate interviews with archival footage... Three documentaries are concerned with artists who lived and worked in Christchurch NZ before the earthquakes of 2010-11. Sunday Star Times journalist Grant Smithies qualifies Ogston's approach as "impressionistic" and notes that his recent work aims for the "poetic that would extend [the subject's] existing body of work".
- Bill Direen, A Memory of Others (2017). Documentary about NZ poet and performer Bill Direen.
- Philip Dadson: Sonics from Scratch (2015). Documentary about the NZ contemporary composer, in collaboration with Orlando Stewart.
- Sheen of Gold (2013). 1h 22min, August 2013. Documentary about Flying Nun band The Skeptics ("uncompromising" — Auckland music critic Graham Reid). Premiered 2013 at New Zealand International Film Festival. Available on DVD, featuring an interview with John Halvorsen of Bailter Space, live footage from the band's final gig 13.7.90, footage of live shows on 1.12.89 (Auckland), and Wellington (Oct 87). Cat# FNDVD545.
- Antarctic Angels and the Unknown Blues, (2012), a "tale of a late-'60s southern counter-culture", documentary about the Invercargill band Antarctic Angels 
- Rumble and Bang, documentary about Chants R&B, a Christchurch NZ 1960s band. Directed with Jeff Smith (2011).
- Gone With the Weird (2011), documentary about Squirm, a Christchurch NZ 1990s band.
- "New Zealand music/arts docos [...] being correctly, lovingly examined” (Simon Sweetman) https://offthetracks.co.nz/bill-direen-a-memory-of-others-film/
- "... excavations" (Michael McDonnell of NZ International Film Festival) https://www.thebigidea.nz/news/industry-news/2013/jun/130980-nziff-best-short-film-finalists
- "SKEPTICS: SHEEN OF GOLD a doco by SIMON OGSTON". Elsewhere by Graham Reid.
- Gilchrist, Shane (29 September 2012). "Rocking the South". Otago Daily Times Online News.
- "NZIFF: Rumble & Bang" – via www.nziff.co.nz.
- "NZIFF: Gone with the Weird" – via www.nziff.co.nz.
- Francesca Rudkin talks with NZ filmmaker Simon Ogston
- NZ International Film Festival profile
- Memory of Others official trailer
- Official website Bellbird Pictures
List_of_New_Zealand_film_directors List_of_New_Zealand_films Category:New Zealand film directors Category:Living people Category:New Zealand films Category:New Zealand film directors Category:New Zealand cinema task force participants
|This biographical article related to film in New Zealand is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Simon Ogston" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Simon Ogston. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.